RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Looking for outdoor TV cable connection

Hello,

This is my first post. I have a 2005 National RV Tropi-cal T351 and would like to connect an outdoor TV to cable. When I installed a new TV up front I noticed that there is a cable connected to the control box for an outdoor TV. Does anyone know where to look for the other end? I crawled into the basement storage area but, could not easily find a cable waiting to be connected.

Thanks for any help you can give to get me looking in the correct spot.

kdwill106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know about a National but my Winnie has one in the electrical bay and we also have one in the outdoor entertainment center where the radio, CD etc. is. The one in the elec. bay is the inlet.

Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #3

Mine is located in the electrical bay where the power cord is located it says "park cable" . Just look for an external coax connector and then you will need to push the cable button on your video distribution box that should have buttons labeled for sat, rear TV, cable ect.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Probably not much help, but mu 1999 Tradewinds didn't have a cable/antenna connector in any of the bays. Today I added one for a TV install in the second bay back on the passengers side. I installed a splitter right before the front TV and ran the RG-6 over to the passengers side and down the windshield post between the front entry door and the passengers side winshield, than routed it back over the stairs and through the wheel well to the first bay into the second bay. Not easy but now it's done, just 115 AC to route into the bay now. I'll use the feed for the washer/dryer that I have already picked up for the central vac installed in the third bay back on the passengers side. We don't have any plans to add a washer/dryer, but a breaker is installed in the square "D" box in the bedroom for it.

Look for a AC recepticle in one of the bays, if you have a cable/antenna feed it will be with some source of power.

I think what Buck is talking about is the CATV input. Ours is in the same place as his, but as I understand your post your not looking for a input but a output to add a outside TV.

Dick
Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy the site. I don't have the same mfr. you have but ours is in a basement compartment on the passenger side where there is also a 120V outlet. I'm sure someone will be along to find yours. Enjoy all your future travels, be safe and Happy Motoring!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the help!

All,

Thank you for your help. I found it. The advice to look near the basement outlet worked. The interesting part is that the cable was on the outside of the basement in the front passenger side wheel well. It was wire tied up out of the way. Not sure if I did this reply correctly?

Again, Thanks for the help!
kdwill106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our '99 came with a CATV hookup in the elec bay. That along with the antenna cable goes to the TV compartment. No outside Tv cable was installed at the factory.

However, a previous owner did put a spliter in the bay and ran a cable to another bay for an outside TV.

If you have a switch box with a CATV IN, ANTENNA IN, FRONT TV OUT, REAR TV OUT and is all working, and you still have another cable going to a 3rd TV, I would have to believe it's in a bay on the pass side someplace as that's where you would watch it.

Have you traced the cable to a point where you are sure it's leaving the TV area? Is it possible it went to a VCR and they just plugged it in the box in that slot?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
I hope this post keeps going a bit. We've got a 2005 Natl Dolphin and I'd sure like a better hook up for our outside TV too. We did the simple and unattractive method running a 50' coax cable from the bedroom tv wall connector, out the window, down the side of the mh and into the TV. Kind of a pain because it's gotta be unhooked when it's bed time.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might take a good look up under you outside steps. Many times National just tied up the cable out of the way if they were not installing that option.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Wolfpack, there is certainly a better way than that. First, are you sure your '05 didn't come with an outside tv hook-up? Do you have an '05 spec sheet or brocher? Is there a 110 outlet in a pass bay, beside the one for the charger/converter?

Failing all that, are you looking to watch over-the-air TV or cable TV outside while at a CG?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If my 03 Dolphin LX has a pre-wired outside TV cable no one at the dealer could identify it ten years ago nor could I: So.

Mine was accomplished by putting a splitter on the rear TV cable where it came out of the selector box. The cable then went down the windshield trim on the passenger side into the inverter bay, then zip tied down the basement bundle of lines and cables to a spot in the basement compartment just in front of the rear duals.

110 volts was taken from the outside recepticle which is right above the same basement cabinet. Both 110 and TV cables were mounted in a box on the wall of this basement compartment.

Note; when the basement door is opened to access the TV the raised door is right in front of the exhaust of the furnace. I put an exterior on/off switch for the furnace just in case so it could be turned off by whom ever raises the door to access the TV. Well yes I have made a few trips outside after getting in bed because I forgot to turn it back on. I call that roughing it.

You could get an expanded selector box and accomplish this w/o the splitter and you could access 110 from multiple sources; these are the choices I made and I have outside TV.

I also have an air horn;but that's another story. Hope this helps anyone considering this upgrade. It is easy. easier still if you are younger than I, thinner than I and have your original knees.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Wolfpack, there is certainly a better way than that. First, are you sure your '05 didn't come with an outside tv hook-up? Do you have an '05 spec sheet or brocher? Is there a 110 outlet in a pass bay, beside the one for the charger/converter?

Failing all that, are you looking to watch over-the-air TV or cable TV outside while at a CG?
There is a 110 outlet in the bay just behind the door. Haven't seen a cable of any other sort though. Replaced batteries under the steps last year and spent some time in there detailing the batttery compartment. Don't recall seeing any cable tied up, but then again, my focus was on the batteries and I might have overlooked it. I'll check the battery compartment and report back.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Just looked in battery compartment. Nothing visible. Nothing in sight under wheel well. There are 2 coax wires extending to the front of entertainment cabinet on the pass. side. Maybe one of those is designed to be routed to outside. To chilly outside right now to wanna mess with it much . When the weather finally get's nice I'll get up in it and figure out the whole thing.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
In my '02 Dolphin the cable TV INLET is in the water bay. Seems like you could put a T there and run one across to the other side.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote