RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Losing Power

Just bought 2005 35' dolphin in Az. last month with 30,000 miles. We where going to drive it to Alaska but after an unfortunate accident had to cancel summer plans. I am having my son in law drive it from Az. to Co. to store it out of the heat of Yuma ( 117 today ). The first 300 miles ok, now states at times losses power ( does not miss ) then after a bit will regain power. Ck engine light did come on and will have checked out when he gets there. He says when it happens he holds pedal all the way down and it finally picks back up.Any suggestions, he still has to climb routon pass?

Akwoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it FORD or WORKHORSE

Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:38 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
It is a workhorse, I am leaning towards the mass airflow sensor? Good news is it did make it to Colorado. I will post when I get it looked at.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:50 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The first things to check is the fuel pressure regulator on the rear drivers side fuel rail. With the engine running pull the vacuum line off. If gas comes out then that's the problem. Be ready to put the line back on because it can really push some fuel out. I had the same problem you described. If it is bad I would go ahead and replace the spark plugs. Mine were black from all the excess fuel.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #5

Sounds similar to my 04 Dolphin Workhorse. From service records of previous owner he had the same problem and spent a lot of money on new fuel pump, fuel filters,etc. Same loss of power happened a couple of times to me and my mechanic changed the mass air sensor and it has never happened again. He said the original error computer codes he saw on old invoices should have alerted previous mechanics to the problem.
WasatchSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you start throwing money at this thing, have someone plug a computer in to the OBD and find out what the trouble code is. Since the check engine light came on there will most certainly be a code in the chassis computer. You may be right about your guess on the sensor, but these parts are too expensive to just guess. The OBD plug will most likely be around the left side of the steering column....you may have to hunt around a little bit to find it.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A missfire at hyway speeds probably won't be felt but will lose power. Have the OBD checker it will tell you if it's a misfire or lean condition.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #8

Have had this happen to me with the check engine light coming on. Gas cap wasn't tight. That was all it was. Check to see if a new cap is warranted.
pjgolpher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:41 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Losing power

Finally for the Rv in and it was the mass air flow, thanks for all the replies. My wife just got the ok to start walking after being run over here in Alaska a couple of months ago and we are going to fly down to Co. And take it for a maiden voyage. Very excited
Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #10

I had similar problem. Loss power right after setting cruise and got a check engine light come on. I was down to 30 mph the last 90 miles home.

The key was to check codes. From what I know, check engine light is usually almost always pollution control. (gas cap, O2 sensor, mass air flow, catalytic converter).

Mine turned out to be O2 sensor. Hope this helps someone.

Wayne

Tags
power