RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ok, this may have been asked before, but I can't seem to find in search anywhere...so...I am trying to find the locations so that I can lube the living and bedroom slide outs...I have an 05 Dolphin...For those that have done it, What do you use...My thoughts were white lithiuum grease spray?

2005 Dolphin
Gdlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ok, this may have been asked before, but I can't seem to find in search anywhere...so...I am trying to find the locations so that I can lube the living and bedroom slide outs...I have an 05 Dolphin...For those that have done it, What do you use...My thoughts were white lithiuum grease spray?

2005 Dolphin
Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #3

For metal surfaces, Camco makes a product called Slide Out Lube and Protectant. For the plastic slides under the bed, bar soap works well. There is a fair amount of strain on the slide actuating mechanism, often resulting in broken shear pins, discussed elsewhere. I have decided to not allow my bedroom slide to be fully extended, because of the "stuttering" that occurs during its' travel. Keeping the bottom of the slide clean and waxed, and the gaskets clean will help. Of course the less weight on the bed during opening and closing the better. Since you are probably going to break a shear pin eventually, I would advise you to get a couple of spares, and become familiar with how to change them out. More info on this available via Search. Plan on developing something to prevent the slide from coming out at an inopertune time, such as while flying down the highway. This has happened to me when a shear pin broke. I now have a 4" by 6" block available to place inside the slide "box" to keep it from moving. I have had more trouble with my bedroom slide than anything else.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Personally I like the stuff at camping world. It is parafin based and sticks like glue. Look around and find where you can spray the entire rack that comes in contact with the gear. It's usually best to extent the slid all the way out. I do this about twice a year. Good luck.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I guess the main question is where can I get a look at the mechanisms for both slides...apparently from reading the above messages, the bedroom one should be seen under the bed...Correct? what about the living room?
thanks

2005 Dolphin
Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Bill, is the Seabreeze slide the same as the Pacifica slide? If so, I appreciate your advise here. I guess you've seen my tail light bulb post, Grrrrrr any suggestions ?

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
For the bedroom look under the bed. For the living room look at the shafts outside when its extended, also look in the storage bays and front wheel wells. At least thats where mine are Bill is right its the Camco product.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Bill...However, I am still confused as to finding the locations for the mechanisms...apparently one is under the bed??? and where can I get to the other to see it in order to lube it??
thanks
and by the way...It was nice meeting you in Apace junction at Meridian RV resort

2005 Dolphin
Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback steve...muchly appreciated...

2005 Dolphin
Old 05-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is from the Power Gear web site oweners manual.

Your Power Gear slideout system has been designed to require very little maintenance.
To ensure the long life of your slideout system, read and follow these few simple
procedures.
CAUTION: DO NOT WORK ON YOUR SLIDEOUT SYSTEM UNLESS THE BATTERY
IS DISCONNECTED.
"˘ When the room is out, visually inspect the inner slide rail assemblies. Refer to Fig. 4
for location of inner rail assemblies. Check for excess build-up of dirt or other foreign
material; remove any debris that may be present.
"˘ If the system squeaks or makes any noises it is permissible to apply a coat of light
weight oil to the drive shaft and roller areas but, remove any excess oil so dirt and
debris do not build-up. DO NOT use grease.
IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS OR QUESTIONS CONSULT YOUR LOCAL
AUTHORIZED DEALER OR CALL US AT POWER GEAR (800-334-4712).
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:54 AM   #11

Twice a year I liberally spray WD-40 on the rails...pull the slideout in, then back out.

7 years now, no problems. BTW I spray the Power Gear jacks with silicone maybe 4 times a year.
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:02 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got some sad news for you...WD-40 is not a lubricant. WD stands for Water Dispersant and the 40 is the 40th try to get what they were wanting.

It is mostly good as a penetrating spray, but does have a very slight oily residue. I would find something else to use as a lubricant.

Ken
Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 AM   #13

To get at the bedroom slide mechanism, at least on my model, you have to remove the bed, lift the strut assisted panel, remove the center plywood panel. There are two manufacturers of the slide mechanism, Power Gear and I-forget-the-other-guy. They may differ slightly, both have the accursed Shear Pins. I would post picturers but requires a lot of work to get at.
You can probably do this with out removing the bed, I don't like to work with all that weight over my head.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 AM   #14

Steve, I can't tell you if my slide is similar to your Pacifica. The lounge slide is apparently Rack and Pinion, and a more robust design. No problems with it, yet. Do you have the proper wrench to crank that baby back in if you lose power? I use a large adjustable, Harbor Freight. As for the tail lights, I think your body being different than mine would have different lights. Your coach body, that is. No insult intended.