RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #1

Maintenance on Bedrm slide-05 SeaBreeze

Our bedroom slide squeaks and groans a bit at the end of opening or closing. We're a little paranoid that it might stop working. Any suggestions for preventative maintenance? We would like to keep them both working w/o any unforseen surprises! Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only thing you have to do is clean and lube the seals and the slide out. Run the slide out and clean all sides of the slide and seals making shure you clean inside the seal. Use a silicone lube and spray it on a rag to wipe the edge of the seal that touches the slide. This will stop the noise.

speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 AM   #3

You probably have the RBW slide mechanism which is now Al-Ko Industries. In addition to the squeaks from the seals which speed racer has a good solution to, the slide unit itself is quite noisy. At least mine is. The unit has a weak point in the worm gear that was a bad design. This may be adding some noise that you are hearing when the slide is getting near the stops.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. The noise I am hearing is coming from the slide mechanism itself, rather than the seals. We were wondering if we should be lubing the mechanism or the rails that move the slide in and out. It took us awhile to figure out where the mechanism was for the bedroom slide!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I Use a silicone lube on everything that moves track, gears nylon blocks and rails. Had a 01 for 6 years and now a 07 for 2 years no problems smooth and quiet.
Richard S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #6

Keep an eye on the bronze gear in the gear box that is driven by the worm gear attached to the motor. Mine is shedding metallic bits and the center of that gear is looking worn. I have put grease on it, but don't think that will prolong life because bronze is supposed to be self lubricating. Last week, a replacement gear box was available on the Al-Ko web site for around $270 along with a total gear box replacement with a new motor for $523. Today, the gear box is not shown. It may be out of stock because of the problems with the design. Someone wrote on another thread here that they got the new mechanism and it was much smoother and quieter.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed hoping that that unit won't suddenly fail. I've been there-done that with our previous 5th wheel. Also considering whether to invest in a replacement unit just in case. Keep on maintaining the seals and slide rails as others have suggested to keep it all going as well as possible.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Slide Maint.

On my 2005 Sea Breeze, I have found that simply waxing the underside of the slide where it contacts the nylon bushings on the way in or out will make the slide work more smoothly. I tried every type of lube in this area and all it did was attract dirt after a few days. Also some of the lubes made the slide shutter as it moved over the bushings. Ther was also an adjustment that I had to make on the bushings under the bottom [drivers side] of the bed. When the slide was retracting, the foot end of the bed would jump up and down about 1/4 inch. I found that the rails at the foot of the bed were not in contact with the nylon bushings. A simple addition of shims under the bushings really made the side work more smoothly. All this was done with careful consideration of the slide alignment both extended and closed.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BEAUTIFUL PHOENIX, AZ
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy & Bill View Post
Thanks for the input. The noise I am hearing is coming from the slide mechanism itself, rather than the seals. We were wondering if we should be lubing the mechanism or the rails that move the slide in and out. It took us awhile to figure out where the mechanism was for the bedroom slide!
Mine was making the same noise. It sounded like it was coming from under the bed. I lubed every thing I could get to with no help. I even took the gear assy. apart. After puting up with it for over a year I finaly cleaned and lubed the seals and the noise went away.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:18 PM   #9

Better get some spare Shear Pins, they will be the first thing to go. Do a search on previous posts on Shear Pins. Lots of folks have had them go, myself included.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The bedroom slide on our 2005 Seabreeze squeeked and groaned. I tried lubing all the gears etc inside without sucess. I took it to a local RV dealer and they waxed the bottom of the slide about two years ago and it has been fine since.
Regarding shear pins, Mine sheared a pin and it was`repaired by an RV dealer. It sheared again after eight cycles. You must use the correct pin , they look like a roll pin with an extra roll, a spiral shape. RBW sent me some pins when I was having a problem.
lascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the same problem when I purchased my 2004 in Jan/o4. I took it to the East coast National service ctr in Lakeland, FL (Now Closed of course). The tech. showed me the "Rub" marks, under the outside of the slide, where it runs over the teflon blocks. They took a hand buffer and applied a good coat of Car wax and it corrected the problem. He suggested to do it about twice a year, on all slides. Without the wax, the unit grabs and binds, shifting the slide and can cause the shear pins to give way. He also suggested "NOT USING" any spray, as it collects dust and dirt, compounding the problem.
The wax has worked well for me , for 5 years.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Are all years of the sea breeze models the same or did they make a better unit in the newer models

Noleakman is offline   Reply With Quote