RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
making my 01 Islander a "home away from home"

greetings everyone! my name is phillip and my wife is ashley. I recently bought a 2001 Islander and I am really impressed with it. you really get the feel that it is well constructed. It has the 330hp cat engine and allison 6 speed trans. I am new to the hobby/lifestyle and took it for my first weekend camping trip and was really in awe the whole time. for the next few weeks or months(hopefully not that long) I will chronicle some upgrades I will be making. first up is to upgrade the cockpit television from a 19" to a 32" lcd moved over from the slightly off centered to the left to the far right so its better visible from the long couch when slid in. next up is to remove the dingy blue carpet in favor of a cherry laminate to accent the cherry cabinets. after all of that will be changing the gold fixtures including the sconce lights and recessed under cabinet lights and all cabinet pulls in favor of brushed nickel. im a dreamer and pretty handy so the vision to look and see things that are good but can be great comes fairly easy to me. i hope some of you will follow along as i document these and more upgrades. heres a few pics to wet your whistles.

anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nice rig! Congratulations and welcome. Can't wait to see what you do to make it personalized.

Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #3

Islander upgrade

I like my 2001 Islander also, well built on a CC chassis. I've done up grades also. Took out the blue carpet, put laminate floor in. Put ceramic tile on the entrance steps. Bigger and better LED tv up front although I don't use it much since I put a 37" led back on the big mirror, the slide slides right by it with plenty of room. LED in bedroom, new carpet in bedroom, fixed cabinet that is between dinning room table and sofa. Made a 24" draw in it and a cabinet door on the side next to the wall because there was a 12" void, now can store some small appliances. Linoleum in the dinning area instead of that blue carpet. And ripped out that big over stuff chair by the computer desk, use a wooden collapsible padded chair purchased from Costco, bought 4 of them. Fun working on it. On the outside, put new vinyl strips on it.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
wow, i guess you can really "get busy" when you are retired. most of that stuff you did sounds like exactly what i would like to do. im thinking about going with a 40" led behind the mirror. gawddd is that blue carpet awful.
since last post ive mounted and dismounted a 32" lcd on a full motion bracket attached to a steel brace that will be attached inside of the small carpeted block far right overhead. that steel bracket will also have a steel cable suspended horizontally to more wood for added stability. however, and with a word of advice, dont buy the 98$ 27-47" full motion flat panel bracket. each of the elbows have an allen head bolt attached to a recessed locknut that should be able to prevent flexing by tightening. well, no matter how much its tightened, it will release, allowing tv to swivel. needless to say, its going back to walmart in favor of the 118$ rocketfish from bestbuy.
also, got the carpet mostly up. just need my buddy to come over this evening to help move chairs out for more room. i cant make my mind up on the entry steps, but im going with an indoor/outdoor neutrally colored around the dash and under steering wheel. im thinking about getting fancy with the carpet to laminate flooring transition. heres some pics. id love to see and hear how you mounted your led to the wall behind the slide. did you remove the wall and provide reinforcement or were there studs there? how about wiring for it. sorry for the grainy cell phone pics, digital camera's taking a day off.
here is a pic of below the window to the left of the entrance. ive gotta find out where the leak is coming from

this pic is of the tv. i had to take it for a test drive after mounting the bracket. too bad i had to pull it down to replace the mount.

heres another leak between drivers seat and slide

Old 10-19-2012, 05:37 AM   #5

Islander upgrade

First of all, I ran a new tv cable from the over head compartment, I spliced in up there, ran down through the window post under that plastic shield, bunch of other wires were there. Down pass gen. ran pass the LPG tank up along the frame, finally drilled a hole behind toilet, there is a panel behind the toilet you have to unscrew and remove, then I put in a old work plastic box and I also put in 120v and a box. Where the picture is on the wall to the left of the toilet, I cut a squire hole, small enough that I can put the picture back and it would be hid. I measured for the mounting holes for the tv, got a glass drill, drilled four holes, rigged up two steel straps about 1 1/4" wide, each 18" long to bolt the tv to. Stuff you get at Home Depot or Lowes. That wall isn't very thick, about a inch. Tv has been there over two years now, must admit, the mirror cracked behind it, can't see it though. But next year, I am taking the mirror off, never liked it there and I am going to make the wall thicker, perhaps two or two and half inches. I will have to move the wall in towards the toilet, got it figured out in my head already! Where the mirror is now, a piece of 1/2" Walnut paneling, with the new studing and paneling it will make it really strong and no mirror.
As far as that tv up front, I made a new cabinet, took the mirror door on the left out, that and the place where the old tv was are one, the tv swings up so I can get behind it, the center compartment is used for storage and the left has what was always there.
The steps coming in had that blue carpet on it and plywood under it, through the years the plywood got wet and stains leeched into the carpet, terrible looking, it now has ceramic tile on the steps, sides and up on the top landing.
Also , I have a cat, and to get that litter box out of the way, while doing the floor, I cut a hole about 5" by 14" against the wall behind the passenger seat, it goes down in the first compartment, fixed that compartment up, my tool chest is on the bottom a shelf then the litter box. The cat jumps down into the compartment to do her business and I installed a LED light that I can leave on while parked. when not in use, a floor panel fits into the hole with a knob, you would know it's there!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:51 AM   #6

Islander upgrade

Here is a pic, at least I hope I did it right, of my front TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fronttv.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	27927  
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
What does your slide move in and out on?? My 2001 National Tradewinds moves in and out on Black Plastic Skids (3) If you lift your carpet lip coming off the slide floor in front of the sofa you can see if they are there by bringing the slide in a few inches. I hope you don't have those. They don't work well with laminate.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #8

Islander upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
What does your slide move in and out on?? My 2001 National Tradewinds moves in and out on Black Plastic Skids (3) If you lift your carpet lip coming off the slide floor in front of the sofa you can see if they are there by bringing the slide in a few inches. I hope you don't have those. They don't work well with laminate.
I have those nylon skids and I have had no problem at all. The skids on mine are under the slid, the slid rides on top of them, I have about 3/4 to 1" clearance from the floor to the slide. One problem I did have I notice about mid way, about where the corner of the slide goes in to the cabinet that is between the dinette area and sofa the floor sagged a little. So I got a piece of 3" nylon about 3/4" thick, like a hockey puck and put it under that 90 deg corner, I put a screw down from the top of the floor into the puck, then floor was covered with new covering. when the slide is in it does not sag anymore and no problem when it is out. Must have been "wood fatigue"!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #9

skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
I found your pics of your skids, you have a different setup on yours than on the Islanders.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Hope you guys are enjoying "the project". I restored a sailboat about 9 years ago. It was a fabulous experience! We just picked up our 2001 Islander in Phoenix and drove it here to Dallas. She drives like a dream.
I have some questions and plan to post pictures with them. One involves a switch and dc plug (not used) in the bay where the fuses are. Know what it's for?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:47 AM   #11

plug in

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhartley View Post
Hope you guys are enjoying "the project". I restored a sailboat about 9 years ago. It was a fabulous experience! We just picked up our 2001 Islander in Phoenix and drove it here to Dallas. She drives like a dream.
I have some questions and plan to post pictures with them. One involves a switch and dc plug (not used) in the bay where the fuses are. Know what it's for?
You'll have to describe it better, perhaps a picture of it. When I got my Islander I found that the previous owner added a few things in there that made me scratch my head. So it could be a add on. You have a good machine, I like the Country Coach dynamax chassis.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
theres been a lot of SLLOOWWW progress thats been made. in between working 8 driving 5 and having 2 hours a day and all day this past sat and sunday, ive been able to rip up the old carpet and get the flooring and most of the trim down. i happened to be walking through HD last week and saw they had a 12x11 section of vinyl that was regularly 11$ a sq yd was on sale for 5.50 sq yd. a 12 pack and a phone call to my uncle and we were well on our way. turns out my slide was on rollers but the slide more or less glides over them. we couldnt figure how to get all the carpet and staples from under front edge of couch platform so we decided to leave an overhang with the vinyl and a trans piece and just let the overhang glide across the floor. neither of us are flooring pros but between 2 half drunk doofus's i think we did an ok job. a blunder here or there but still looks 300% better than the carpet says the wife. more updates to come!! heres one pic of the sorta finished product. i'll add a link to photobucket in the morn before work, its taking forever to upload the 30 or so pics.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
i forgot to add the pic. here it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0080.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	28578  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
heres a link to a bunch of pics i took during the process of the flooring.
national islander pictures by aneye4aneye977 - Photobucket
im really good at dismantling but when it comes to putting things back together, i usually miss a screw or a 20. could anyone out there familiar with taking out the flooring please tell me why i cant get my rear view monitor to line up properly with the plastic trim and housing. it doesnt look like my setup is OEM but it seemed to fit pretty well before i got involved. thanks