Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Marlin Water Pump

On my new (2001) Marlin, I can hear the water pump but don't know where it is. I put the valves where they should be but no water from the tank. Yes, tank has water in it (2/3). City water supply seems to work ok.

Where is the pump and how do I get to it to check it out? The manual shows the pump in the schematic, but not where it is physically located. Also, the pump motor runs with the switch on, but never stops. I thought all the newer pumps were self priming. Can this be the problem? All the faucets are closed.

Thanks,

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #2

Hi John,

The water pump should be in the same compartment as your tanks and valves. If you remove the lower portion of the plastic panel below the control valves, you should be able to see it. The only time I ever had this issue, I forgot to return the tank fill valve to the proper position after filling the water tank. The pump should be self priming.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is probably an asterisk (*) to show where the valve handle should be pointing....for proper operation.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
There is probably an asterisk (*) to show where the valve handle should be pointing....for proper operation.
Additionally check all the valve positions, some may be in the "Winterizing" position.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You said all of the faucets are closed. Open the faucets in the coach to purge the air from the pump.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Everything appears to be where it should be for normal operation but still no water from tank. I still have not located the pump. The plastic covering around the utility connections is not that easy to remove because the controls panel was put in on top of the larger plastic covering. I'm still looking to see if there is another way around it.

Also the ice maker is not working but I haven't checked it all out yet (water supply, etc.).
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
You said all of the faucets are closed. Open the faucets in the coach to purge the air from the pump.
I'll try that today.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I tried the fill/city water valve in both positions and finally got some water to flow but continued to have air in the lines and little flow.

I found the pump. It was behind a plastic cover on the right side of the controls panel. Pretty easy access now that I know where it is. There was some slight water leakage near the top of the pump (it is positioned vertical with the motor at the bottom). I tightened the several screws and it stopped leaking, but it may be a bad seal on the motor head.

After I start the pump, it continues to run when all the outlets are closed, so There must be an air leak or a lot of air in the lines...

Any further ideas are welcome. I hate to replace the pump until I know for sure that is the problem.

Thanks,

John
Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If your Marlin is like my Dolphin, not sure because yours is a DP, With the plastic panel removed you should be able to see the fresh water tank level to verify the monitor is reading correct. With 2/3 level in the tank, the pump should have a flooded suction. If you have a valve marked "tank to pump and "inlet to pump" make sure it is in the correct position. If your tank is 2/3 full and still getting air out of the faucets there has to be a leak somewhere on the suction side of the pump, maybe on the pump head. If it is the pump head, there are kits to replace the pump head, not sure of the cost compared a new pump. By the way the ice marker only works when connected to city water, not sure if you knew that.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water