RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
rvgrandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richland, wa
Posts: 303
Microwave died

Yesterday our microwave died. It is a GE micro-convection oven model JVM1190BY, although I do not use the convection oven. My husband used it earlier and it was fine. When I got home I put my food in, touched pad and it died.

In older thread someone talked about thermistor - could this be the problem? My first thought was the breaker, but it was not blown. Turned it off and on after an hour - still dead. Then I thought of the board since we had a microwave in the past (in home) that went bad. I have had problems a couple times the last year of not being able to turn the fan off - I have to turn the breaker off for a few minutes to get it to turn off. That is the only problem we have had with it.

It is 12 years old. I went to GE troubleshooting and it said to check breaker, check fuse, etc. If there is a fuse, I have no idea where it is. We can't even find where it is plugged into power.

It is covered by extended warranty but when it comes to deductible vs a cheap one at Walmart - cheap wins since we only use the microwave. But, the exhaust fan is connected to the microwave, so that is the only feature I would want. And I miss my night light!

Any ideas out there?
__________________

__________________
Full-Timers

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 227
Any lights, fan or sign of life?

This may tell us where to point you.
__________________

__________________
Poppy & Grammy
Drake the rescue Yellow Lab
2005 Providence 39L - 2009 Buick Enclave
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
rvgrandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richland, wa
Posts: 303
No - there is nothing. It is dead.
__________________
Full-Timers

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bluff Dale, TX
Posts: 625
They are plugged in. Usually it is above in the ventilation area.
The thermistor measures the temperature in convection units.
On the microwave the parts that usually fail are the magnetron, which makes the microwaves, the high voltage transformer or the diodes. There is usually a fuse but it is behind the controls.
Repair or replace? Probably replace if it is 12 years old.
__________________
Most RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
2000 National Sea Breeze F53
1998 CRV Toad
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Fred and Bonnie's Avatar
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pacific Northwest or SoCal
Posts: 2,945
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
The fellow in this video seems a little strange, however it's good information.



fred
__________________
Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,943
If you convected cooked with the fan off, you probably tripped the over temp thermistor. Take the Micro down and pull the cabinet off and there should be an envelope taped to the inside with the repair instructions on it. You will see the thermistor on the schematic.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
keninvic's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: VICTORIA, BC
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
If you convected cooked with the fan off, you probably tripped the over temp thermistor. Take the Micro down and pull the cabinet off and there should be an envelope taped to the inside with the repair instructions on it. You will see the thermistor on the schematic.
I repaired mine. The thermistor is likely gone in yours; it is essentially a fuse that goes open once the temperature inside the microwave exceeds the value of the thermistor. 150C I think. Thermistor likely went because of another problem that requires fixing. Was your microwave making any noise before the thermistor blew? Mine had a noise like a bad fan bearing - I took it apart and found the doors that let air in/out of the oven were not operating properly because the stepper motor that controls the doors was worn out. The stepper motor was making the bad fan noise. Replacing the stepper motor ($20 for a used one) and the thermistor; fixed the problem. My GE is still working perfectly a year later. BTW, the magnetron has a 10 year replacement warranty from GE. Highly unlikely your magnetron is the problem if you have no display on the microwave.
__________________
2004 DOLPHIN 5320
2001 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Toad
keninvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
 
TXiceman's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Full Time, TX Home Base
Posts: 17,360
Blog Entries: 21
Most microwaves have a fusible link in the power. If it gets too hot, it will melt. This is easily replaced.

Ken
__________________
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
rvgrandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Richland, wa
Posts: 303
Not sure what is going on. Today my husband turned the breaker on just to see and the microwave is now working again. Have no idea what went on or if it will happen again.

Perry - we do not use the convection part of it. I used convection ovens in restaurants but this one does not cook like them. I tried it a couple of times with bad results so stick to using just the microwave part of it.
__________________
Full-Timers

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,023
Check list.

The first part of this can be done two ways.. But first FIND THE PLUG if you can, often it's in a cabinet next to the microwavfe.. If it's easy to access pull it and plug in a lamp (Trouble lamp is good) If the light lights, it is the microwave, If not, well then check the following.

Note: you can do this first and then look for the outlet if you wish.

Check to make sure you have power. I mean, do other 120 volt things work?
check your main and branch circuit breakers in the power distribution box.
IF YOU HAVE AN INVERTER does it have a breaker or two (often hidden where you can not easily see 'em on the backside).

NOTE: I have occasional issues in one junction box (The inverter's)

If all good.. then if you have not done the lamp test do it. NO light means you have a wireing fault (See my comment about the inverter j-box)

If the light works, then the problem is in the microwave.

Many microwaves have a fuse, this is usually INSIDE the case,, You will need to remove the microwave from it's cabinet and remove the outer case WEAR GLOVES

There are SHARP EDGES to teh metal in this area.

Some of them the fuse is accessable from the rear, no tools needed. (once removed from cabinet and set on a table)

The rest have a circuit breaker,, it too is usually accessable from the rear as above.

If the fuse/breaker is good.... Then it's gets into a job that is better done by someone with some technicial knowledge.. I have fixed a couple of 'em.
__________________

__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.