Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Moving up

We currently have a 2002 Sea Breeze and looking at moving up to something a little larger.

Am looking at a 2005 Dolphin 35'

National 2005 DOLPHIN 5355 WITH A WARRANTY*

I think this coach has a Chevy engine and I now have a Ford. Anything I should know about?

I think they are priced a little high but hopefully can get them down a little.
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Don't want to start a war here but, I would be looking real hard at the actual manufacture date of the W22 chassis. 2005 was just about the cutoff point for when the W22 brake problems seemed to end. If the chassis for this coach was manufactured say in 2004 it is possible it could have brake problems. Some people had good luck with the brake recall, some not so good. Search on W22 brake failures and make your own decision.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Its easy to find out if this coach was part of the recall by the vin number, and as far as I know, Navistar (Formerly Workhorse) will still replace the brakes on recalled coaches that haven't already had the work done. There is a member here, 'DriVer', that is a wealth of knowledge on the Workhorse chassis.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Basement Air Conditioner would be a Red Flag for me. Search this site for all the postings. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is said above is factual about the W22 brakes being subject to a recall...checking to see if the repair was done properly and/or under recall can be done by contacting a service center that works on Workhorse chassis (like many GMC truck centers). You need the VIN for this check.

Now for the big difference...the 8.1L V8 is quite different from the 6.8L Triton V10 that you probably have. Racers say "There is no Replacement for Displacement."
Because of design and engine size, the V8 reaches it's peak power (HP and torque) at a lower RPM and in my opinion, this makes driving less stressful, because the engine does not have to wind-up over 5000RPM to make a hill or to pass a truck.

Also, because you do not need to push the engine into these high RPM ranges, you would see a slightly better MPG over the same RV with the V10.

While the GM 8.1L V8 has been discontinued for on-road applications, it is still made for industrial and marine applications. So, as far as parts availability, I have had no problems.

The V10 is a very good engine and is in hundreds of RV's. The V8 is just different - and different in a good way.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2003 Dolphin LX 6355 has a W22 and date of mfr. was 2002 for the chassis, as best as I can tell....and 2003 for coach and final assy.

We had the brake caliper fix done in 2006, when we bought it, paid for by the dealer.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the replies!!
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #8

Our 2005 Dolphin has been flawless in operation and driving. It is on the WH24 so I can’t tell you what the difference would be. Our basement air will freeze you out. It did take some getting used too at first while trying to sleep but now we keep the fan on all the time so we don’t notice of when it clicks on and off.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote