Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #1

National Bankruptcy & Motor-home Completion

I am considering purchase of a 2008 Dolphin 35 (basically a new name for the 5342). It was purchased new by the current owners in Summer of 2008 from a dealer in Washington who had "a whole bunch of of "new" Nationals in his yard". National went bankrupt in November 2007 and reportedly had a bunch of unfinished MHs at their mfg. facility that later got sold during the settlement.

I strongly suspect that the MH may have been "completed" outside the National factory. Should I have any concerns about the completion work not being up to National's usual high standards or not using their usual high quality components?

One of the things triggering my feelings is that it has (had from new) a rather cheap hide-a-bed sofa as opposed to the Magic Bed sofa that was standard in the Dolphin line from 2001 onward. My wife loves the Magic Bed as a sofa and I believe it is far superior as a bed as well. The sofa can easily be replaced with a new Magic Bed (for $1600!) BUT ... are there other elements to the MH that I'm not seeing and should be aware of or investigate?

Or am I making much ado about little?

Thanks for input,
Steve
wihakowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #2

What do the current owners say about where they bought the MH from? Have they had any problems, are they documented? Myself I worry more about that than anyone who might have built the MH. All factories have bad days and bad parts from time to time and even thou you don't know who finished this one take it to a RV inspection place and have them give it the go over. At least you will feel better if you purchase it.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The motorhomes in work were finished by supervisors and management and they used whatever they had in stock to finish manufacturing.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 PM   #4

Current owner bought new in Washington State from a dealer as I stated in OP. They report having had no problems but my concern is about the quality of workmanship and materials. The sofa being a cheaper model simply was an indicator to me that perhaps it was one of those left unfinished by National itself.

Funny, my recollection was that back in 2008, the unfinished "rolling stock" from National was auctioned off. I remember at the time, thinking how fascinating it was seeing the listing of the various rigs that were simply sitting on the assembly line at the factory in whatever build state they happened to be in on the day the doors shut. The auction listing was pretty specific as to details of the level of finished or unfinished state they were in. Wish I really had the faith to believe that some managers and supervisors "stayed behind" to finish up MH's. Unpaid?

Every article I've read says the employees were all immediately gone and the gates locked. I even remember at the time discussing with folks how whoever bought those units were possibly going to finish off orphaned unfinished rigs with the skill, care and quality they deserved.

I do know that for several years Nationals, especially those left in limbo by the bankruptcy were pretty cheap to purchase. Of course that could be said about most RVs during the recession (I remember seeing brand new Winnebago Views, list price over $100k selling for $60k)!

Anyone think there is a way to determine whether a particular unit is indeed a total National build or a mixed build? Would a 2008 titled unit on a dealer lot in the Summer of 2008 after National closed the doors in November 2007 likely be simply stock that was fully from the factory from prior to the bankruptcy closing? Sorry to sound suspicious or wary of buying a mixed manufacture model - part at the factory and part by ?whoever? but well ... I'm wary of that possibility.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Might not be a problem at all. Just depends on how it was done. We bought a '09 CC Magna, it would have been made right at the end also and have found the workmanship to be as good as the earlier ones.
It would have been titled as per the manufacturers certificate of origin that would have gone out with the rig. Federal law specifies how a split year rig is to be titled. There might be two VIN's, one for the uncompleted chassis and another for the completed vehicle. By law it must be registered according to the MCO issued by the completed vehicle manufacturer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
One to check is certification sticker by the outside door with date of completion is it before Nov. 07?

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahiti16 View Post
One to check is certification sticker by the outside door with date of completion is it before Nov. 07?
A great suggestion! They sent a photo of that and it looks good to go! Inside tire sticker shows Ford Chassis Mfr Date = 11/06 but outside sticker shows "Date of Mfr 06/07" Well before November.

Does anyone know if they simply stopped putting the Magic Beds in them or ??? Brochure specs read "Kustom-Fit® Wonder-Bed® fabric sleeper sofa with slide-in armrests". Is that just a word for Hide-a-bed style sofa?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
That is the coach description for the couch in my 06 Dolphin. Which by the way is pretty comfortable as the bottom cushion flips/folds over and gives you a flat sleeping surface.

2006 Dolphin 5355
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have the brochure any more but our 04 National Tropi Cal had two couches. One of them was a fabric sleeper sofa with slide in arms. That was the standard install and you could upgrade from there. Don't know what was standard in the Dolphin but if not standard it was probably what was still around when they were in their death throes. Not the most comfortable couch to sleep on but we only put the grand kids on it.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahiti16 View Post
That is the coach description for the couch in my 06 Dolphin. Which by the way is pretty comfortable as the bottom cushion flips/folds over and gives you a flat sleeping surface.
Yup, that style of "Magic Bed" or "Wonder-Bed" is easily the most comfortable sleeper I've ever found - flat, firm, easy to convert and sheets fit much better. Pretty comfy as a sofa as well. Problem is, the unit we are looking at has a standard Hide-a-Bed style sofa with a crappy mattress even though the brochure stipulates "Kustom-Fit® Wonder-Bed® fabric sleeper sofa with slide-in armrests"! That is what got me thinking in the first place about who finished and furnished the MH. Was bought new that way but doesn't match the specs.
That would certainly be a quick and easy way to save a $grand or so in the build process - simply stick el-cheapo sofa in and call it a day!
Old 07-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
NOTE: Colors, equipment and specifications depicted in this brochure are subject to change without notice.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just recently (6//30/15) purchased a 2008 DL34B Dolphin from a dealer in Marysville, WA. while moving my daughter (with our 2002 Dolphin) to WA. state. Not sure on the man. date but the chassis is dated 07. I also think when and by whom it was built they used what they had left over in-stock. As for the sofabed, it's not like I had in the 02, which was a metal framed twin bed, this one is what I call a flip-flop bed that is only a single bed if that. Also on the outside walls in the very front there is a second joint with molding that is not on ANYOTHER Dolphin I've seen, so I think they used a outside fiberglass wall from a little shorter model on this one. I see no problem with it as it has molding to cover/connect the seam.
As mentioned it only had 10,700 miles on it when we picked it up, it now has 14,700 and so far we are loving it and it's a BIG improvement over our 2002 which we liked also.
So if it's in good shape and you like it, get it, the sofabed is no big deal.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
SLK

There were 68 completed units that were purchased by Dennis Dillon RV in Boise Idaho from the bankruptcy sale. I attached the file that has these units listed. Check the VIN numbers. maybe yours is there.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting and thanks. I didn't find my Vin in the list or any other Dolphin model.
I guess my 2008 Dolphin DL34B was built sometime before the bankruptcy filling.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national