RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:25 PM   #1

National built a fine product!

We're starting our 3rd week of living in our "new" 2004 Dolphin 6320 while DW has some medical procedures performed at Mayo Clinic, and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of this coach.

It's evident that making a quality product is no guarantee of success, since National went out of business in 2009, and I have to wonder if they spent too much on the furnishings and priced themselves out of the market. My dad always said the secret of staying in business is not to run out of cash. A simplification, obviously, but in my business I always heeded dad's advice and made sure to have minimal debt and keep costs under control. You can be profitable and still run out of cash, but when you've been losing money for a number of years, as National apparently was, you really limit your options.

In any case, I'm sorry National RV didn't survive the recession. They built a fine product.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I completely agree about the quality of National RV and the Dolphin model. We have owner our Dolphin 5342 since 2005. In that time we have attended several RV shows and checked out a lot of other RVs and havenít found another RV we would trade for our Dolphin.

Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:44 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We bought our Tradewinds in Nov 2004 and like you folks have not found another motorhome we would give ours up for. Her closet is the one across the back of the coach with shelves on one end and drop down on the other end. My closet is in the bath area with double sliding mirrored doors and 4 drawers under that. We have never found another brand that has such enormous closet space. Having owned it for over 14 years we have only had to replace one jack, the cooling unit on the fridge and the regular maintenance. You hardly ever see a National sitting on a RV Sale lot.
About the only way I would consider giving her up would be to win the Lottery and then have Prevost build me one I designed.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We bought a 2006 Seabreeze LX last April. I agree, it's a really great built MH. The guys at the maintenance shop compare it to the current Tiffin offerings. I've been all over the Seabreeze and am impressed with the quality and detail. While I always look at other offerings (because it's cool and gives me ideas) this might be out "last" motorhome....time will tell....

Al
FLRosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #5

I noticed one in a rest area last week, looked very nice.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
My 07 National Pacifica is well built, love the layout and Freightliner chassis. Too bad it has a Norcold which will soon be replaced with a residential.
Tom 07 Pacifica
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #7

We have a 2007 National Surf Side 29'. We bought it used with 2000 miles on it when it was 10 months old, so we've had it 11 years. Last year we went looking at new RV's as we were just getting tired of it. It's always garaged and still looks brand new with full body paint. After looking at about 10 different models of Class A under 32', we decided to keep what we have. The new stuff is just absolute junk. Then we found a 2012 Tiffin Breeze. Wow, what a nice 32' diesel pusher! Then a friend told us to check out the International MaxxForce engine that they put in them. If you know anything about them, you'll understand why we still have the Surf Side. We both still like the palm tree interior.

Red Boots Ranch
redboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #8

This is our second National. They built a good product. Real oak cabinets, stout structure, a bit heavier but holds the road . Ours is a 99 7371. 65k bought 2 years ago. I could complain about something. But there are no reason to. It’s a good product. All mtr homes have issues, some are just put together better like Nationals are.
MrBully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #9

We bought our Sea View in 2004. Been a great motorhome for 15 years. Downsizing to 32 ft. from 35 made a big difference in parking. Also love the two slides.
rwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We wholeheartedly agree!!! Love our 2008 Pacifica 40D. We bought it new with an extended warranty included after the bankruptcy for less than the dealer paid the court. There were a couple of fit/finish things since it was one of the last produced; upside down switches, no turntable in micro, a couple of cabinet doors that needed tightening, nothing that was a big issue.
We also look at other coaches but have not found anything we would trade it for. It's always exciting to see a Pacifica in the wild, but have never seen another of our model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 6.21.59 PM.png
Views:	20
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	247458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3723.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	636.8 KB
ID:	247459  

Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #11

Amen to everything thatís been said so far. Weíve had our Ď07 sea Breeze 1321 for almost a year now, and love the quality. A couple small issues is all so far. New was out of our price range, but when we were shopping, National was on our short list. Ours had only 14,500 miles on it when we found it. The same build quality, and features in a new(er) unit would have cost us four times what we paid. The only thing I pine for would be full body paint.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #12

We just bought our 2006 national Dolphin 5355 36.5 ft Ford V10 this spring. We have had many motor homes converted bus’s and trailers up to this time our most beloved was a 36 ft Monaco. We stumbled onto this one after an extensive search and it is turning out to look like the best. Pristine shape previous owner apparently got to old. I am thrilled to read what everyone is saying to the positive. We have had two different mechanics tell us we made a wise move with this one. I have always done all our maintenance in the past and will continue to do while I can. This one has apparently been stored inside paint an underside completely unscathed. Apart from a few chips on the front bumper. Probably love bug etchings or small stone chips. Interior is very nice. Thanks for the reassurance.
Glamping2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Bought a 2004 Tropical 370 a couple of years ago for $50,000. My only complaint is that the exterior graphics are in really poor shape and it makes the coach look really dated. As far as the interior goes, the quality is impressive. We love it!!

I have had some overheating issues when going up long grades while towing my two door wrangler. Itís got a 340 horse Cat engine.
Mogulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I had my Tradewinds graphics replaced by RVGraphics in Apache Junction, AZ.
Made her look like brand new. Cost was about 3 grand but they do a great job and warranty the decals. It took a week but they actually have you pull in the back of their shop and hook up with electric.

If you have a power washer you can clean the radiator using the soap nozzle and the rinse nozzle to remove the road dirt. Works on mine when needed. I used Dawn dish soap mixed with water.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national