Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #1

Question National Dolphin 1994 pusher. Help. Please. Generator access

Please help. My 1994 national Dolphin has the generator slung under the front nose. Its housed in a tube cradle. I think its just bolted up
But heres the question, how does one gain access to the thing.
I cant see any means of opening the front grille.
I imagined there would be a latch to allow the front to drop down. But I cant fathom it at all. I need to get to it to see why its not running.
Cant be that inaccesible because you need to be able to put fuel in!
Thanks.
Boneidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't help you, wish I could. I did find two files for the 94 diesel Dolphin, didn't know they made any. You might try posting on the Yahoo National RV group, someone may be able to help. There are members that worked for National on the group. You will have to join to post. There is also The Dolphins Club for National RV's.

NationalRV : National_RV

The Dolphins

http://www.pacnats.com/Links/NRV%20B...in%20Specs.pdf

http://www.pacnats.com/Links/NRV%20B...&%20Diesel.pdf

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 AM   #3

Thumbs up

Hi Chuck. Thanks for taking an interest and putting forward those links. I appreciate the input. Well I went over to the storage compound yesterday and gave it some attention. Not the best place to get involved too deeply. Theres no power on the site its standing on gravel and crushed hardcore rubble its cold and I lonely. So I was not going to try to remove the gen at site but just to get some access to it was going to be a bonus. I stood amd looked at the front grill. I figured well access must be simple really as i mentioned before you need to be able to get petrol in it. So I looked and noticed small scratches above the two verticle struts of the front chrome grill on the coach trim above. So Im thinking, looks like its been in and out from there all its life. Ran my fingers around behind the grill. Bingo. Two spring loaded bolts slid them down and then I could pull grill forwards and up and out. Simple when you know. There is a blanking cover to remove and there it is. Petrol cap was not too easy to get to. Will need to make some find of long tube to get petrol in. Anyway. When it gets warmer i will start fault finding and see what can be done. Did check for live at all the switches. But its all dead. Did not see a batery so maybe it uses power from the coach batts for its starter motor.
Thanks again.
Boneidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great news, that you found out how to access the gen. If you don't have manuals for your MH, you might try posting on the Yahoo group to see if someone can help.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #5

If your '94 pusher is like our '93 Dolphin diesel pusher ( and I believe they are the same) then your generator runs on propane. I have not seen a motor home yet that supplies the generator with a gen mounted fuel tank, they are always "tapped" into an existing external fuel supply source (gas, diesel or propane) Sounds like you are about to add gas into the oil fill spout. BAD NEWS! If the gen is cranking but not starting, be sure the propane tank is turned on and allow time to purge air from the supply line.
Bill Aders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
A little more info http://www.mediafire.com/nationalrv. Yes the gen is LP.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #7

i recently purchased my 1994 Dolphin Diesel - it was a 1 owner an i have every single book and receipt any help if you every need and i will check them for you.
lill_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:37 AM   #8

Thanks those who have replied here. I have just bought my 1994 Dolphin M34D. I don't even have it home yet. A friend is going to take me over and drop me off so I can drive it home. I got it as sort of a "pig-in-a-poke" deal. The last owner apparantly died and the bank had to repo it. I got it really cheap, but don't know much about it. The previous owners took excellent care of it, and left me with lots of papers and reciepts, etc. The owner's manual is here, and lots of other stuff, but there will surely be huge amounts to learn still.

Thanks to all of you for being here as a resource for the rest of us.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #9

Here I am, replying to my own posts..........

I just looked at the fron of my unit, and there is no access at all to the genterator. The grill is not separated from the front of the coach in any way. The front of the coach houses the windshield and bumper and all that stuff, but the generator is locked up behind everything. I'm guessing they expeted us to take it in for all services.

Also, I have not been able to find a way into the engine compartment at all. I was thinking that I could get in through the carpeted storage areas beside the engine. No joy. Those panels do not remove. I'm guessing that all service is from underneath. That's a bummer. The driver's AC is operating, but not cooling; it probbly needs a recharge, but I can't reach the dumb thing to check it or service it.

OK, after all my lamentations, does anyone here have any words of wisdom about accessing these areas?

Tom
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #10

To Boneidle,

I just checked again, and I owe you a big appology! The access locks were exactly as you described them. I just had an Incorrect mental image from your description. So thank you; I now have access to my generator bay.

The next question is: do you have any idea about how to check or recharge the airconditoner? ANYBODY?

Funny, I seem to be talking to myself a lot................................
Old 05-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #11

Regarding getting to the engine compartment, the rear bed board under the matress is the engine "hood". Remove most of the bedding (matress optional) and lift the forward edge as it is hindged about 12" from the rear of the coach. Be prepared to prop it somehow. It is best to have a helper to assist as with the matress still in place it is a bit heavy.

As far as the A/C goes, I believe you are referring to the automotive A/C unit. You can access the compressor and the fill ports after the bed is lifted. If you are referring to the roof-top A/C, those units cannot be sucessfully recharged, when they are tired and not putting out they require replacement.

Good luck... it takes time to learn all about your new toy.

Bill
Bill Aders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #12

Bless you, Bill,

I had wondered if going into the engine bay from the interior might be the only way, but thought that was dumb. My mistake, not the fiest time.

So thank you very much. I am slowly learning, and one of the most important things I have learned is to slow down. I always have this frantic feeling that I have to get it all done right away. I guess that comes from worling in industry all these years; everybody has a budget, and everybody has a deadline. Since I have no particular time constraints, I can relax and let this thing evolve a little.

Thanks again, Bill, and to all that have contributed and continue to do so.

Tom

Tags
dolphin, generator, national