Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Retiredblade,

I believe the battery set up from the National RV factory was one large 12 volt battrie for starting and four 6 volts for the house.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #16

solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
The solenoid is mounted on the back side of the 12V Distribution Board, on the left side. Rook
Well, I found that solenoid, ran it through some tests, it was bad. What a bear getting it out. I happen to have a solenoid from a older Bounder I had, it tested good, so I put it after so minor alterations to the bracket. Both the coach batteries and chassis batteries are fully charged, I had my wife press the battery booster button, heard no click, I think that both banks being charged that it wouldn't. So, we will see, I am going to monitor the charge of the batteries for a few days, writing down the readings, it is plugged into shore power and chassis master switch turned off along with house master switch. Going to track down a space soleniod to have on have weather a original one or a auto solenoid.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
blade......the boost solenoid should close (click) when the boost switch is turned on.......the level of battery charge, chassis or house, (assuming they are at least 10 volts), does not affect the operation of the boost solenoid. Sounds like the boost solenoid is not getting 12 volts to operate it's internal coil.....or the solenoid is bad. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I have 2 heavy duty 12 volt batteries for starting and 4 extra heavy duty 6 volt for
house batteries. This is what the paper work states when delivered to the first owner.
This is a 1999 Tradwinds model 7371

Art
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #19

Solenoid

Quote:
blade......the boost solenoid should close (click) when the boost switch is turned on.......the level of battery charge, chassis or house, (assuming they are at least 10 volts), does not affect the operation of the boost solenoid. Sounds like the boost solenoid is not getting 12 volts to operate it's internal coil.....or the solenoid is bad. Rook
Well, back to the trouble shooting, at least I know now how to get to that solenoid. I found places on the internet where I can buy the same brand of solenoid, varies in price, $80-$87. lot of money for a solenoid, don't know if a automotive one would hold up or not, don't know why it shouldn't, it is only suppose to be engaged for 30 second or so.
As far as batteries, I most likely will replace the engine start batteries as they are different brands and different age, I'm learning a lot about them also.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Solenoid on mine is a White Rodgers. Link below standars solenoid for a car will burn up.

White-Rodgers - 70-902 - Machine / Process Controllers - Contactors - Allied Electronics
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
blade.....a solenoid is just a "heavy duty" electrically actuated switch. The important thing is to replace the original with one that has the same or better current rating for the switched contacts. Any 12 volt solenoid that meets that requirement will do.....if you can mount it physically in the circuit. The one Richard S. mentioned might do the trick. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 03-29-2012, 04:50 AM   #22

National rv schematic

Quote:
blade.....a solenoid is just a "heavy duty" electrically actuated switch. The important thing is to replace the original with one that has the same or better current rating for the switched contacts. Any 12 volt solenoid that meets that requirement will do.....if you can mount it physically in the circuit. The one Richard S. mentioned might do the trick. Rook
I ordered up a solenoid (85Amp, 300amp surge, continuous duty) , and I ordered from Country Coach (who made the Dynomax chassis for National) the one schematic that I need that is missing from my owner's manual binder. But, I found another problem, there are no wires that I can find coming into the battery/inverter bay from the booster switch on the dash. On the printed curcuit board that I received from you, it shows on the back are the two wires soldered on it that goes to the booster solenoid, I have that. On the front side, P1 and P14 have no wires attached but P1, according to the schematic shows a wire labeled:Emgy start S #14 wht/red and P14 emgy start R #14 wht/yel. but they aren't there. So what I am going to have to down once I get the schematic is trace the wires down from the switch on the dash to the front compartment in front of the left wheel and see where it goes. This is strange, might have to rewire from the switch back to the battery bay. So that is where I am at now.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
blade...a suggestion.....first, disconnect all wires from the boost switch.......then connect the two wires that are on coil terminals on the original solenoid together, or you could just short the terminals together......then using an ohm meter, measure for continuity (short) across the two wires from the boost switch that carry the 12 volts to the solenoid coil when the switch is pressed. If you measure a short then you know the wires from the switch to the solenoid are OK. If you get an "open", then you know one or both of the wires do not go directly to the solenoid coil. That means they are either open or there is another smaller relay being used as a switch to turn the solenoid on.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #24

National rv schematic

Quote:
blade...a suggestion.....first, disconnect all wires from the boost switch.......then connect the two wires that are on coil terminals on the original solenoid together, or you could just short the terminals together......then using an ohm meter, measure for continuity (short) across the two wires from the boost switch that carry the 12 volts to the solenoid coil when the switch is pressed. If you measure a short then you know the wires from the switch to the solenoid are OK. If you get an "open", then you know one or both of the wires do not go directly to the solenoid coil. That means they are either open or there is another smaller relay being used as a switch to turn the solenoid on.
Rook, thanks for the info, yes, I was going to do that, weather kind of cold and I am waiting for that schematic from Country Coach. Mean while, I sit down once in a while and think about the problem and sometimes I come up with the answer. Like this morning, got up and was drinking coffee and realized I forgot to list a item on my taxes, so filing a amendment!
Amazing how the mind works! I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #25

National rv schematic

Well, got the schematic from Country Coach, nice folks, but, wrong one, didn't have that one, glad to get it but I E mailed the fellow at CC to send me the right one. Traced the wiring coming from the dash, previous owner had those wires on the wrong terminals at the power control center. Got a solenoid, moved it from behind the control center to the side where I can test it in the future and replace it without removing the printed curcuit board.
Got the power booster working. Previous owner must have had problems with it, I took the old solenoid apart and it was burnt. Now I am waiting on two digital volt meters that I am going to install in the battery bay by the control center so I can monitor the voltage without using a ohm/volt meter all the time. Also, going to buy a new chassis starting battery or batteries.
Now I am going to move on to less stressing problems, like fixing a slide seal and ripping up the carpet and putting in laminate flooring.

Tags
national