RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

National Islander schematic

Fellow Islander owners, I have all the documents and Dynomax service manuals and schematics, except one, it is missing. It is a Electrical schematic #S0903.03 in the appendix section concerning the jump starting using the battery booster solenoid.
Does anyone have the Schematic? I would like to know where the battery booster solenoid resides and where the 105A breaker is also. Any help appreciated.
Had this problem twice: chassis batteries were low, around 8 volts as my tester said. Using the battery booster switch did not make any difference at all, had to get a external battery jump. On my old Bounder, it worked perfect.
Thinking maybe the solenoid might be bad or the breaker.

Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is a possibility......I believe the 12 volt distribution circuit board mounted in the bay behind the inverter is more-or-less standard on all National RV"s. If that's correct, then your battery boost relay and the 150 (?) amp breaker you mentioned is mounted on this board......but they are not visible from the front.....why?.....because they are mounted on the back of the board! Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #3

National rv schematic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Here is a possibility......I believe the 12 volt distribution circuit board mounted in the bay behind the inverter is more-or-less standard on all National RV"s. If that's correct, then your battery boost relay and the 150 (?) amp breaker you mentioned is mounted on this board......but they are not visible from the front.....why?.....because they are mounted on the back of the board! Rook
I believe it is, I will check it out today, went to the service book and a 105 amp curcuit breaker controls the battery boost and I've search all over for it and can't find it, hope it is behind it, if it's true, what a dumb set up! I will let you know.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dumb idea?.......yes, it is. I guess that was the only way they could get all the necessary components on the 12 volt Distribution Board.

Here is a PDF file that has drawings and schematics of the 12 volt Distribution board. The battery boost solenoid is labeled "interconnect relay". Rook

12v,120v power system all models (closest to ours).pdf

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

National rv schematic

Quote:
Dumb idea?.......yes, it is. I guess that was the only way they could get all the necessary components on the 12 volt Distribution Board.

Here is a PDF file that has drawings and schematics of the 12 volt Distribution board. The battery boost solenoid is labeled "interconnect relay". Rook

Attachment 19278
Thanks so much! Now I know what is what on that board. Now I'll have to trace down that solenoid and see if it clicks when the switch is pressed.
Where on your coach does the solenoid reside on yours?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The solenoid is mounted on the back side of the 12V Distribution Board, on the left side. Rook

Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 AM   #7

National rv schematic

Quote:
The solenoid is mounted on the back side of the 12V Distribution Board, on the left side. Rook
There is none there, I will have to trace it down now that I have the info you sent me. One other question, your house batteries, do you have four 6 volts or 12 volts? The schematic show 6's ganged to make 12 volts. My Islander has one 12 volt 20"x11" and one 12 volt 8"x20" gang together. they are AcDelco's, I am thinking previous owner went from 6's to 12's. I have been reading that 6's are better.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
It sounds like you have a 8D and 4D ganged together. The 8D is a 250 amp hour and the 4 D is a 200 amp hour giving you a total of 450 amp hour bank.
This is about half of what 4 very good 6 volt batteries will have.

Art
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ditto what Art said. Rook

Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Another important thing is your current set up is a mismatch on amp hour so your
time vs load is that of the lower rated battery.
The best systems have all batteries with the same ratings i.e everything is the same
amp hour rating.

Art
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have 4 identical 6V batteries, two in series, then paralleled with the other two. Rook

Old 03-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Rook that is what I have 4 matched 6 volt wired the same way

Art
1999 tradewinds 7371 Cat 300
Old 03-27-2012, 04:57 AM   #13

naional batteries

Looks like the previous owner switched things around. I have the batteries in my garage, charged them up, and monitoring the dis-charge when I go into the garage and recording it. I might change back to 6 Volts, I think I might change back, and I think I can get six, six volts in there, not sure, have to measure. If I do change, have to purchase more battery cables, noticed at the battery shop that they aren't cheap, $15.00-$20.00 a cable. What a money pit RV's are!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Just remember if you have to buy cable do not let them sell you the small 12 volt stuff
you want the same larger cables like the MH came with.

Art
1999 Tradewinds Cat 300

Tags
national