Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

National RV's

I was looking at a Dolphin class A. I know it is made by National and I know they went out of business but I forgot where the Dolphin stood in their lineup.
What were the other models and what order were they in ?
As I remember people talked well of them. We had a class A and went to a 5th wheel and now we want to go back to an older Class A.

thanks
jim
jim7489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
If I understand correctly, top of the line in gas coaches, but levels within Dolphin series I.e. XL or something like that
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
If I understand correctly, top of the line in gas coaches, but levels within Dolphin series I.e. XL or something like that
. I think Seabreeze, which I have, was entry level, but in my opinion better than many other brands mid and high end coaches. Based on my observations when shopping
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dolphin LX.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
First, Let me say welcome to iRV2. You can learn a lot here and get a lot of help from a lot of good folks.

It all depends on budget and what type you are looking for. I have an '05 Dolphin LX gasser.

If you are looking for a DP, you may want to consider something like a '07 National Pacifica TE 40B. I know of one that has been upgraded also and is a very nice coach, but it will cost at least twice as much as a gasser.

Regardless, for the price you can get these good quality coaches for, you can pay less than a third of the cost of a similar new coach.

I made my choice based upon my budget first, then the most I could get for the dollar. Due to health related issues, where I know that I may only have a few years to enjoy this, in my case budget was primary.

If money is no object for you, than you have a lot of other choices.

I bought it after it had already been upgraded with new wood floors and sofa, etc. I paid far less than the NADA vale and have had a real good experience.

They are a good quality coach. On the other hand, any older coach will require repairs over time. Therefore, I would negotiate the best price you can get...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #6

Welcome to iRV2. If you purchase the Dolphin, I hope you are as happy with it as we have been with our '05 LX WE BOUGHT 2.5 years ago. No upgrading was or is needed as our coach looks new and is in excellent condition. Everyone is amazed at the quality. The only real problem we have had was due to a fuse.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #7

I have heard that the Sea Breeze was the entry level before. Being just me and the dog, it fits me fine. I have to have storage spaces just to store my storage spaces. Yeah, that much. Very nice coaches for the price point.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Look at the RV lots and see how many National DP's & Gassers you see sitting there. That should tell you something about them. I have heard few if any complaints about the National line.

My wife and I have been looking at newer coaches but as of yet we have not found one that compares to the storage that we currently have. Our's has two closets, one full across the back with shelves (hers) and one in the bath area for me. (5' double doors).

In our bedroom on each side of the queen bed is a nite stand with two drawers, haven't seen anything close to it in other coaches.
sgtjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #9

I saw one post some time ago complaining about a National. We never did figure out what drugs he was on.

I could probably store 20-30 rolls of toilet paper in the bathroom. That and a years subscription to Car and Driver and Motorhome.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #10

Based on the year of my coach ('05), the Sea Breeze was competitive with the Winnebago Brave/Sightseer, and the Dolphin was priced comparable to the Winne Adventurer. IMHO, the base NRV models outclassed the Winnebagos at each price point. The LX models added upgrades not available from Winnebago. In earlier years, there were also Sea Side and Surf Side models that I believe were more entry level.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #11

We almost bought a 2000 Tropica'l which at that time a gas powered coach. Basically it was the same as the Dolphin but with a bit more interior upgrades. I would consider them to be above average in build quality, and wouldn't hesitate to own one..

Good luck with your choice and safe travels.....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim7489 View Post
I was looking at a Dolphin class A. I know it is made by National and I know they went out of business but I forgot where the Dolphin stood in their lineup.
What were the other models and what order were they in ?
As I remember people talked well of them. We had a class A and went to a 5th wheel and now we want to go back to an older Class A.

thanks
jim
We have only had it about a year now and have made a couple of trips, 1st being a 5+week north to Michigan and the 2nd one was just here in the state and had a great time each trip and as a plus, got better mileage than we thought we would. For a gasser class a, out of a possible 10 i'll give it a solid 8.5 only cause it could ride a bit better in my opinion!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
We purchased our 2007 Dolphn in the Fall of 2012. We have been living in it Fulltime since January, driven 7,000 miles, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We find the build to be solid, National RV having used solid reputable high-end components & parts. The design & layout of the interior lends itself to comfortable living, with good storage space, kitchen, and especially the Bathroom, sink, shower area.

Problems we have had include step motor having to be replaced (previous owner hit something)... and that is it.

We added a DISH HD TV system with a 40" LED tv, Safe-T-Plus steering bar (wind is a problem), new tires all the way around, Foam mattress, and some minor furniture replacement for wife and I.

The previous owner took good care of his Dolphin... and had added a Banks PowerPack - we have no power drivetrain problems, and tow a Honda CR-V.

I think we're good for years to come - you should be too.
Jim1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #14

We have had a 2000 Tropical for the last 10 1/2 yrs. and have had very little trouble with it, we did replace the water heater and have replaced the tires and this past summer we replaced the slide awnings, and by the way we are fulltimers so it is used all of the time, It still looks good , runs good and we hope to get many more years out of it, It is on the Ford F 53 Chassis which sometimes takes bumps hard, also we did install a Steer Safe unit which makes it nicer to drive, It is pretty much the same as the Dolphin with a few sparkles inside,
bbslotravele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national, rvs