RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #1

National Tropical

Anyone know anything about these or have one? Quality etc. Thanks

Frenchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #2

My friend has an 02 or 03. He likes it. The only problem he had with it was the storage bays under the coach were built from very light duty metal. They all rusted and started to let go. He cut out all the supports and reinstalled heavier duty metal ones. He was worried because the area affected was what supported his fresh water tank as well as a couple storage bays.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

IMO, National built good coaches. From mid level to bottom runs of upper level.

I believe Pacifica and Islander were their top DP models. Not a clear easy pecking order, as with many manufactures, as models can change as the years go by!

The Tropical was also well thought of by it's owner's. (In believe most National RV owners, gas and diesel, were pleased with their coaches.)

The devil is in the details. If you were to add specific year and model, perhaps other National owners could share Pro's and Con's on it...

Best,
Smitty
Old 04-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I owned a 96 Tropical for a brief period. It was an entry level coach without slides. Not a bad coach for the era.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Here's my 2 cents. We have a 2001 National Tradewinds, got her in 2004 used and over the past 6 years we have looked around at Motorhomes but as of yet have not found one that either of us would give up the one we have for another. The interior design in the Nationals usually have more cabinet space, the bedrooms usually are queen beds with corian counter top nightstands on each side with drawers. I have not run into one National owner that doesn't love their coach. National did not go under because of quality. As you search around for a used MH check out the lots and see how many Nationals are on any given lot. This goes for the diesels and gassers. Ours has something you don't find elsewhere, closet space. The boss has her full across the back closet with shelves on one end and a drop down on the other end. She also has a separate shoe closet and across from the end of the bed there is a flip up corian counter top for her make up and jewelry with 3 lights on each side of the window. My humble closet is in the bathroom hall way. 48" wide with double sliding mirrored doors and 4 drawers under that. (my space).
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We had a 2005 National Sea Breeze 8341, what a great coach. Cabinets were top quality, finish was outstanding, looked brand new when we sold it. If National was still in business there is not a doubt in my mind our new coach would have come from them.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:09 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
You don't mention the build year, the tropical replaced the dolphin as nationals the top gas coach around the late 90's ..and then around 03 it became a more entry level Diesel model behind the Tradewiinds among others like the marlin. I have owned two Nationals , a Tradewids Diesel and Now a gas Tropical both early 2000 models, they both have been great coaches...not a whole lot of difference in house build quality between the two, other than we had tile flooring in the diesel. Love the quality of the furtinure,cabinets and storage. Both Inside and out. But as with any brand of course care and maintenance matters ,when it comes to purchasing, any brand could come with issues.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2005 370 LX.

Love the coach. Great build quality. Only problem has been the bedroom slide gear. easy fix. national built a great product but got killed in the recession. 2008 was last year I think.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:21 AM   #9

We purchased our NRV Carribean new in 01. The only major issues I have had is with the Cummins fuel injector pump which was covered by them. Owners of the same era NRVs should look closely at the mounting brackets for the jack oil reservoir especially on diesel models. Many were not mounted very securely. Been discussed before. I have had few issues related to build quality once our new shake down was done.
We were required to take a time out for a few years of travel to take care of grandkids. Two are off to college and the last is a senior in hs. We plan to get back on the road in June. I am in the process of replacing tires, fluids, filters, shocks and looking at brakes and overall needs.
We have looked at others motorhomes but will keep our NRV.
A well maintained NRV is a no brainer for a used unit if you're in the market.

Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national