RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Navigation Systems

I have gotten into some bad spots with Google Maps. The RV specific navigation systems sound great. But when I read the customer reviews, it seems they aren't any better. I have researched all the Garmin products which sound good but a lot of the reviews say save your money.

I'm looking for feedback on this forum as we are all RV drivers. I drive a 37' Tropical.

Thanks all

Mogulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2018, 11:52 AM   #2

Purchased a RM RVND7 last month. Went from NJ to Pa to Ark, back to Pa back to NJ, then to Lake George. So far is working well. The RM unit takes a little getting used to, not as easy to use as Garmin, but not bad when you get used to it. I always double check my route with a trucker's atlas.

Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:53 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
There are many treads on this topic on irv2. No navigation system is perfect or a substitute for good planing. I always double check my proposed route with paper maps when not on the interstate. I find five minutes in the morning with my coffee saves a whole lot of headaches.
That said I have run the Rand McNally based system for years with little trouble. It sometimes directs me routes that are not the most direct but, since I have checked the maps I can easily force it to recalculate.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

Navigation Systems

I am a Google map fanboy...until I got a fifth wheel and got into a couple difficult situations with height clearance. Agreed on the bad RV GPS reviews.

I tried a trucker's atlas. I must admit my manual mapping skills have given way to ease and simplicity of the GPS.

I went with the Garmin DEZL. It is for truckers. (Ie, length, width and height constraints). Good reviews. I figure it the truckers didn't like it it wouldn't make it in the market.
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:55 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Search Engine

I don’t know what I am doing wrong. No matter where I type in “navigation systems” in the search boxes, all I see come up is my last post on that subject.
Mogulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Just press the user cp tab on the upper left if you are trying to view the whole thread you started. If you are trying* to search for other threads try using “gps” or model names.

40' 2000 Monaco Windsor, ISC350 Cummings w/Allison 3000 6 speed and Jeep Cherokee toad. We're all old but, we keep on trucking!
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems