Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Need feedback on National RV's

We are looking to purchase a Motorhome, but need info on dependability of National 1999 model. Any input is welcome!
interestnRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Disclaimer: Biased owner: We've had ours for only a year and a half. (1999 National Tradewinds 7371) - we love it. Seems to have been a well-built and designed coach.

Second disclaimer: No matter what coach mfgr, when they are 14 years old, previous care and maintenance is more the key. I would say, 'your' National probably started out as a good foundation destined to last...a close inspection, appliances, tires etc. and hopefully maintenance records and paperwork should help you determine if this is the coach for you.

JoAnn
Spokae Valley, WA
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #3

05/99 National rv 7372 Freightliner Trade Wind 300 HP Cat
Love it, Diesel pusher is the way to go if you doing a lot of driving/ towing. Pulls my Nas car toy box. I Just love the way people look at me when I come driving through a shopping center With that cat motor purring like a kitten wanting out of it's cage.lol it's all what you need mine is more than I need so I take it as a blessing from God. Enjoy Whatever mh you get in! Remember there's always tomorrow don't be in a hurry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130701_143034.png
Views:	118
Size:	622.1 KB
ID:	41652   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130701_143214.png
Views:	113
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	41653  

Name:	ForumRunner_20130701_143408.png
Views:	115
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	41654  
On a Mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

To be honest with you I got mine back from an rv Rental place that let it go to craps fixing on everything for the past 30 days & worth all my time, fix it once & forget about it. Very happy with it just look at tires & Inverter/ converter. Check the Fuel filter if it's a diesel look for Jelly like substance in it, ther is a clear pice on the bottom your supposed to drain every fill up it's a good way to see how they looked after it, if it brand new digg deeper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130701_145215.png
Views:	114
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	41655  
On a Mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Disclaimer: I'm a National owner, and it's the only class A coach I've ever owned.

I looked at probably 50 coaches when I was shopping for a good used class A, and this one stood out. In my opinion, it is as good or better than anything in its class. After owning it and using it, I can say that craftsmanship is top notch and even after 11 years it still looks good and works like it should.

Assuming the one you are looking at has been maintained properly (records are the only proof) and doesn't have water intrusion problems, you can't go wrong buying a used National.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Have the 1999 Tropical Gas on the F-53 Ford Chassis and with a Triton V-10. Mine had been neglected when I purchased it and it has taken the better part of 2 season to fix such items as plumbing, roof, moldings, marker lights, and so on. Still have more to do but now that I have most of the annoying things fixed properly, it is actually giving us some trouble free service. I am on trip right now and for the first time since owning it, I have am having trouble finding things to do with it. Engine is a good one although I have had troubles with auto transmission. I have talked with others who have had no problems with theirs so I chalk it up to misuse and neglect. It is nice to drive and although it looks tired on the outside, it still has most of the bells and whistles found on newer units. Some rather cutting edge construction for the year as well. Metal superstructure as opposed to wood (at least on mine), hard foam insulation. Definitely minimized damage from a leaky roof. So if yours is like mine, the bones are good, just a matter of how the wear and tear is.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #7

We love ours as well, hope you get all the fun and sun as possible and be safe!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We have had our 1999 Tradewinds since 2007 and it has performed beyond our expectations. Here is a link to the documentation that came with ours for you to study. It should help you make a decision. Look in the "White Papers" directory for a document called "Buying a 10 Year Old Motor Home" (I wrote it a few years ago). There are several Tradewinds specific things to look for and many general things to checkout before buying.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212101

I'd buy mine again in a minute. Here is a link to some of the projects we've done over the years. Not many were necessary, they're just things we
wanted.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...7%211671wanted.

Good Luck
Dick
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We love our '99 Dolphin! Going on 4th years with no real probems. NRV made great quality coaches. We looked on and off for 2 years and must have looked at a hundred. The Dolphin was the first NRV we saw and we had to have it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After owning, maintaining and full timing in ours for 3 years now, I have to say we wouldn't have done any better with anything else. That said, just like the rest of them, be prepared for things to happen. Maintenance is the key.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
As others have stated these units are well built for the most part but do have a few
things that one has to be aware of.
1- Be sure to operate the jacks in the proper order or windshield problems can occur.
2- Most will have a crack at the refrigerator outside access due to a design
error but not a major problem.
The plus side is there is almost nothing in the National that is not currently available
as National used many suppliers that are still in operation today.
As others had said with proper operation and proper maintenance this unit will last
you many years.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had mine over two years now and after a lot of years taking care of boats, I would say they are will built . I would buy it again.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Been semi-full timing in my 01 islander DP for nearly a year now and after 2 1200 round trip missions and multiple WE getaways I will say I'm thoroughly impressed. Test drove a few before buying but this is my first and I love it. Besides having dated interior which I've been slowly updating, no major problems. Mine has aluminum roof which supposedly is less leak prone. Dynamax chassis seems very sturdy. You don't mention model and I think the different models had a very wide array of build options but I love mine.
anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I forgot to add pics. I love the shape,look of mine. Maybe not the most aerodynamic but I love it. The only [major] drawback IMO to it is back then there were mainly only one big slide but with it, there's plenty of room everywhere cept the BR

Name:	image-753223674.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	41748
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3323249152.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	525.0 KB
ID:	41749  
anewtoi is offline   Reply With Quote