RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #1

Need help with TV replacement

Just back from our first trip in our 2004 Sea Breeze 1341, the front RCA TV died 6 hours after setting up on one of the biggest football weekends of the year. I'm sure many of you have been through the conversion from CRT TV to a flat panel, I'm looking for recommendations on how to make this work. How did you mount it, how big, what kind of mounting arm, etc? I know it will take some engineering to make this work, Just thought I'd ask the experts on the forum.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Puterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 07:23 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are in the middle of this right now. Do a search on this. We are going for the simple approach: Big CRT out....find a handyman/carpenter/woodworker to build a 3-sided box (no back, so we can get to wires) and piano hinge a door in the front.

Flat screen is mounted to front of door...which swings up for access to box interior for storage or....? Door will latch solid. Maybe some trim pieces needed.

Too inept to post pics, but do a search and many pics/projects will pop up.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No, that was not quite right. A box has 6 sides and ours will have 5.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had a cabinet maker in Lakeland Fl install my 32 inch flat screen after the CRT died. He mounted the TV in the the same place. It was bolted to the support structures behind the old TV. Then used the old wood from the cabinet and constructed a new frame for the new 32 inch flat screen. Four screws hold that frame in place. He used the mounting bracket that came with the TV.
charlesirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several years ago I upgraded my RCA tube TV to LCD. Here's a link you it.

LCD TV Upgrade 2003 Dolphin L/X
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #6

Need help with TV replacement

If you do a search for Overhead TV Replacement, you'll see an extensive thread of what I did as well as lots of helpful advice from others and with pictures even!!!......hardest part to me was getting the old beast out of there.....after that, sit back, contemplate and conquer......just remember, whatever you do, set it up to access in the future in case the new one fails....here's a link....GOOD LUCK!!!!.....

Overhead TV replacement.....
Old 12-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Hey Pilot, I purchased a tv that was the same width as my cabinet. I then used small L-bracket between the cabinetry to permanently mount the tv. Super solid and quiet! Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Figured it out

After a couple videos on youTube, I got the wood frame off the front, but figured out the TV was set 2 inches into the ceiling, so it wouldn't slide out. I removed the 6 bolts that hold the bottom of the metal box to the sides, and replaced them with hitch pins. Then I looped 6 tie-wraps through the holes, with about 2-3 inches of play. Held the TV (27 inch RCA about 70 pounds) and had my wife pull the hitch pins. Managed to get it down without tearing anything up. Planning to put a 3/4" plywood plate in the hole, and a 25 inch articulated arm with a 32" Visio on the end. The new TV weighs less than 12 lbs. It locks in place when motoring, but swings out to the right for viewing from the sofa.

Thanks for all the help on this!
Puterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have changed two. I took a 2x4 and made a big "I" with the vertical 2x.4 centered and back toward the windshield ( using the edge 2" side) Anchored the top and bottom 2x4 with screws. Bought an articulating arm at Wally World an bolted it to the vertical 2s4. TV sized to just fit between the two overhead cabinet doors. Bungee chord to hold it in. For gaps where old tv was: took .1/4" plywood covered with vinyl cheery wood, to fill the gaps.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #10

Installing a big TV in a 2002 Sea Breeze

Below is a link to an article with pictures showing how I replaced my original small TV with a large flat screen TV in my 2002 Sea Breeze.

How to install a large-screen TV in an RV
jerry8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I found a 32" LCD LED TV that had a width that would just fit inside the RV's original cabinet. With the cabinet lying on the floor , the TV was layed in from behind , then held in place with wooden door casing pressed against the sides of the back of the TV and screwed with wood screws onto the inside sides of the wooden cabinet. No TV mounting kit or TV arm was used. The TV was light, only 14 lbs. The space above the TV and ceiling was fitted with filler maple boards. The original wooden cabinet was also cut down so it stuck out only about 4". This was done 3 years ago. Even though the TV's speakers are inside on the back of the TV, we still hear the sound just fine.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of good ideas here. We found a small cabinet ($65) at Home Depot and with a bit of trimming....it slid in to the space where the old CRT used to live. New 32" TV will mount to the door and swing upward when necessary. Back was cut out 60% for access to various wires behind.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGORYJ View Post
I found a 32" LCD LED TV that had a width that would just fit inside the RV's original cabinet. With the cabinet lying on the floor , the TV was layed in from behind , then held in place with wooden door casing pressed against the sides of the back of the TV and screwed with wood screws onto the inside sides of the wooden cabinet. No TV mounting kit or TV arm was used. The TV was light, only 14 lbs. The space above the TV and ceiling was fitted with filler maple boards. The original wooden cabinet was also cut down so it stuck out only about 4". This was done 3 years ago. Even though the TV's speakers are inside on the back of the TV, we still hear the sound just fine.
That is a duplicate of how we did ours. I used a VIZIO 32" side lit LED TV. Same deal. Laid the tv on the frame with a couple of strips of 1/4 black foam weather strip between the tv and frame. Secured with two pieces of 3/4" square by 12" long strips of wood, screwed in to the side of the frame. A filler on top and done. We added a sound bar to the bottom the frame below the TV. It was a 2 hour job at the most. The results were perfect

[/URL][/IMG]
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #14

I just completed this myself. I was asking the same questions 3 days ago and now my TV and sound bar is installed. Like others have said do some research and its a pretty easy job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	116735  

Tommytrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, need help, replace, replacement