Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need some National reassurance from other owners

I am looking at a 2005 Seabreeze 35' M-1341 I think. 36,000 miles in the upper 30's price range. Looks very nice, but I am not familiar with the National brand. I just learned they are out of business. Is this a wise purchase? Are repairs and parts going to be an issue. I would just like some feedback from other owners. I am nervous about this big of an investment.
Also, are there inspection services available for RV's? It seems like a good thing to do when buying from a private owner.

Thanks in advance for any input.
I am a newbie to RVing and your forum.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am on my second National RV, love them both. repair parts are not a problem as they are the same parts used on other brand motorhomes. The suppliers to National RV are still in business. Glad you found the IRV2 web site and the NRV forum. Other will most likely jump in with more information.

Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
This is our third NRV product, if they were still in business we would have another.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had ours for about 3 years now, and coudn't be happier. The National RV is one of the highest quality, best built RV's that you could consider purchasing. I do ALL of my own work on the coach, and have found that the design and layout of the mechanics make all of the service very easy. All of the systems on my Sea Breeze LX are sensibly layed out and installed in a straight forward and quality manor. Another thing to consider is the help that is available on this forum. If you are not familiar with your National RV, and have a problem, a quick thread on IRV2 will almost immediately resolve your issue.

Good Luck

Bill
WSRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X4 for what everyone else said, plus the National Owners group on this forum has some of the nicest people on it that you can find. We seldom complain but often have lots of opinions, which is a good thing.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks so much for the quick replies. I think I am going to call this person tonight to get some more info.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #7

Good coach! I have had mine since 2006 and no complaints.
There are inspection services but the best would be a knowledgeable National owner.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Just bought our coach in Nov. of 2011...we love it.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As far as an inspection goes ... see if you can find a mobile RV repair person who is highly recommended by others. A small price to pay for a sizable investment. They will see things that you might very well miss.

Good luck with your hopefully new purchase. Send some pics so we can all ooooo and awwwww over it. Welcome to IRV2

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #10

I have a 2002 36' Dolphin. I loved the floorplan and the colors. The price was right and I purchased it.

After getting it home, little problems started to show up.

There were two leaks, one in the bathrom skylight, one in the passenger window.

Both were problems from day one. The original owner kept a diary and he tried to have these items fixed multiple times.

They were never fixed "correctly"

I removed and replaced the skylight (and had to repair rotted wood) This problem is now "fixed correctly" and if it would have been fixed from the original complaint they could have spared the rotted wood.

I am currently repairing "rotted wood" from under the passenger window area now that I have "fixed this one correctly also"

I have done many upgrades. I installed an electric fireplace, simulated wood floors, a new smart charger, flat screen tv, and many other "tlc's"

It it easy for me to make these repairs myself, but that is not the case for everyone.

Do your own DD, poke, pry and peek at everything.

I am very happy with my Coach now.

It is my "motor home'

Good luck, and don't let the fact that National is defunct in making your decision.

You just might get a "good deal"
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

Had a 2001 Dolphin and now 2007 Tropical LX. Both good coaches - well made. Don't concern yourself about them being out of business. Except for the fiberglass all components ar made by others: Dometic, Powergear, Freightliner or other chassis manufacturer, etc. fiberglass can be repaired by any qualified body shop. Just check all appliances to make sure they all work.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I have a '98 NATIONAL Dolphin and have been camping in it for over a year. I've made many changes and fixed a few things and it only has 27K miles. Being older, stuff happens over time. Even new MH's have problems and even after warranty ends. But like the others, mine is a great coach and I probably paid for it in full with what would be a down payment on a new high end rig. Don't worry about it being a National. Just check it out carefully and if you know someone who is an avid MH person, take them with you to check everything out. If you like it, then you can make an informed decision. I'm retired and a tinkerer so my MH is a lot of projects waiting to happen. If you don't fix things yourself, then any repairs need to be factored into the price. Just make sure all the major mechanical and appliances are good.

Good luck and happy trails.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2005 Sea Breeze

Kliwks,

It would help if we knew more about the coach and where you live. as you can see in my profile, I too own a National, and it is the 2nd NRV coach.

We had a 1998 Dolphin 5330. It has under 14k miles when we got it in Jan of 2005 and we out 35k more on it until we sold it in April of last year to buy the "new" one.

If you buy this coach, and live in the Southwest (CA/AZ/NV/UT/NM) look up The Dolphins. (The Dolphins) an RV club for national RV owners. There are NRV Clubs all over the country.

As mentioned before, don't be afraid to buy an RV whose manufacturer is out of business as they all use the same chassis, TV's, fridges, etc. Just do your research on the brand. National made one of the best in the business. Went out of business due to poor management.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
Old 04-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Body parts are available at Ortega Manufacturing Inc. | Del Craft Plastics | National RV

Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national