Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Need TropiCal diesel fuel cap info

I tried to use the high flow fuel pump at a Love's a couple of weeks ago. My vent doesn't flow enough air and when the pressure got high enough, I got sprayed with diesel gushing out of the fuel filler. In my haste to get cleaned up, I forgot the cap and tool. I called to Love's just a couple of hours later and they found the cap and tool right where I left them and brought them into the office.

Unfortunately, they apparently don't have a lost and found process and someone did something with the cap and tool a few days ago. No one knows where it went, so I need a replacement.

The cap is a disc approximately the size of a silver dollar with threads around the perimeter where it screws into the fuel filler flange. It has two "blind" holes in the top, which the tool engages to unscrew the cap.

Our RV storage is several miles away and I haven't had time to see if the flange has the manufacturer's name on it. If someone can check their fuel cap and/or flange to see if there is a company name or model number, I would greatly appreciate it.

As for Love's, I've already noted where the Flyin' J fuel stops are located along I-90.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #2

I lost (forgot) one of mine once (different coach than yours though) and found a replacement at wally world
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
It sounds like a cap I got for an old truck relocated fuel tank. It is a marine deck fuel cap. check here and see if it resembles any of these.

Boat Gas Caps & Fuel Fills
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
I tried to use the high flow fuel pump at a Love's a couple of weeks ago. My vent doesn't flow enough air and when the pressure got high enough, I got sprayed with diesel gushing out of the fuel filler. In my haste to get cleaned up, I forgot the cap and tool. I called to Love's just a couple of hours later and they found the cap and tool right where I left them and brought them into the office.

Unfortunately, they apparently don't have a lost and found process and someone did something with the cap and tool a few days ago. No one knows where it went, so I need a replacement.

The cap is a disc approximately the size of a silver dollar with threads around the perimeter where it screws into the fuel filler flange. It has two "blind" holes in the top, which the tool engages to unscrew the cap.

Our RV storage is several miles away and I haven't had time to see if the flange has the manufacturer's name on it. If someone can check their fuel cap and/or flange to see if there is a company name or model number, I would greatly appreciate it.

As for Love's, I've already noted where the Flyin' J fuel stops are located along I-90.
mbrandt1402

National used fuel filler caps from the marine industry. Try this link via a Google search and you should be able to find what you need.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boat...x-a&channel=sb
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Many thanks. The lost cap looked a lot like the marine caps in the links provided. Now to figure out what size / thread.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
West Marine in Edmonds has what you need. Fisheries Supply also has them. You should be able to order a replacement cap without having to buy the entire assembly. There are two pipe sizes. If you used the Truck nozzle I suspect you have the large diameter fitting.
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
Many thanks. The lost cap looked a lot like the marine caps in the links provided. Now to figure out what size / thread.
Mine is the 2" version. I know National used the 1 1/2", but I believe only on older model Tradewinds.

Here is a source for either one:

Sea-Dog, Hose Deck Fill, Cap Only
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Just to close this out - the cap is a SeaDog 351391-1. It was an in-stock item at my local marine supply store.

It appears that the SeaDog locking cap would also fit. It looks like SeaDog doesn't sell just the locking cap - I would need to buy a complete filler neck and cap set.

I actually do some work for SeaDog's plastic molding subsidiary and need to invoice them soon. I may try to barter some of my time for a locking setup.

Tags
diesel, fuel