Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

Need your help Please in the ADK, NY

Happy holidays folks:
So i've been seriously looking at owning a used 2000 National RV Tradewinds 7370, which meets our needs, but here is my biggest concerns- ( beyond scoping out the used issues one needs to worry about before buying of course, but thats a whole other discussion ) I live in the Adirondacks of New York State. Winter up here gets crazy cold.. I do not plan on being a snow bird to FL each winter.. but want to get away when I want to and that might be during the winter or not.. can one own a diesel pusher in this kind of weather and use it sporatically without winterizing it each time we get back from a trip in the middle of winter.. oh yea.. forgot.. this will be outside and not indoors which would resolve this issue I know but $$ is limited.. so do i forget this whole idea or make the decision to buy one and go through a set up and tear down each time we go out in the winter? Do I buy with the express intension of being away during the winter months?? We see hoards of Canadians make the trek to FL every Nov-Dec and think that might be the only way if we live up here… your expertise on this matter would be greatly appreciated.. thank you.. JD
JDADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #2

JDADK.... The winterization portion is the key to survival of the MH when it is not stored in a location that will be above 32F. You can run the RV furnace all winter (which is expensive) and it will heat the basement compartments and keep you frost free....you can get up inside the lower plumbing areas and add heat tape and insulation to the piping and tanks. Small space heaters added in the proper areas to keep tanks from freezing....then keep it plugged in so these things stay running. Yes...it does sound like a bunch of thinking and planning...but you live in the Great White North (I'm from the Saratoga area).
In my case ...it takes me about 40 min to winterize...if I hustle. I do use the RV during the winter...If I am heading camping for a week....I de winterize....takes a bit longer than 40min to flush the antifreeze out of my water tank and sanitize....but I do it enough to have the process down to the easy rather than the daunting. So...Big RV storage garage....winterize...or electrify....
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
The biggest chunk of "winterizing" is getting the water lines purged of water and filled with anti-freeze. Regardless of the type of RV, frozen water lines is something to be avoided. So, if you take the RV out in the winter and put water in the plumbing, you will need to "winterize" again before things freeze. After you "winterize" a few times, you'll find it doesn't take all that long to do.

Your diesel will survive outdoors between outings. I would suggest that you keep all the batteries fully charged which most likely means at the least an extension cord to the RV to keep the battery charger or chargers operating. (Be sure both house and chassis batteries are getting charged.)

The bigger inconvenience will be when you want to leave and the RV is snowed in.... More and more places it is illegal to drive with snow accumulation on the roof, and the more goodies are installed on the roof, the harder it is to clear off without damaging something.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote