RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it may be time for a new battery. I keep the coach plugged in when home. It never sits much more than 8-12 days at a time.
Coach was built early 10/05, we took delivery 10/26/05. So battery is about 24 1/2 months old.
I drove it 128 miles this weekend, boondocked in the desert, used the generator a couple of times for the microwave and Pelonis is the AM. Engine was not started for 48 hours and was dead when we tried...I think it's time for a new battery.
My question, Optima? Interstate?...just looking for suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it may be time for a new battery. I keep the coach plugged in when home. It never sits much more than 8-12 days at a time.
Coach was built early 10/05, we took delivery 10/26/05. So battery is about 24 1/2 months old.
I drove it 128 miles this weekend, boondocked in the desert, used the generator a couple of times for the microwave and Pelonis is the AM. Engine was not started for 48 hours and was dead when we tried...I think it's time for a new battery.
My question, Optima? Interstate?...just looking for suggestions.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:06 AM   #3

jeff, you may have killed your batt somehow, but your batt. should not be shot after 24 1/2 months. i personally think you should be looking for a draw / maybe something left on.
if in fact your batt. is shot you should have some warranty left on the batt. which would defray some of the cost of the new batt.our original chassis batt's are over 5 yrs. old and still going strong! good luck. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
A battery can die at anytime....and I've taken back a few new ones...
The chassis battery doesn't require anything special...I've had a little Walmart for over 4 yrs...and batteries don't last long in Florida.
I am particular about the coach batteries and use only the 6 volt golf cart...brand name being unimportant, so Sam's Club usually wins.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">batteries don't last long in Florida </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
heat tends to be hard on batteries.

As do deep discharging, sitting around without a full charge, or being overcharged, or just sitting.

Yes batteries can die anytime but most lead acid wet cell batteries should last 5 - 7 years if used and cared for properly. Battery death and voltage have no correlation, either.

The first thing to look at is your charging equipment. It needs to be a good 3 stage charger with a maintenance capability that will inhibit sulfation. The PD+Chargewizard and WFCO converters are good choices this way. Many stock converters will not maintain batteries as then tend to overcharge and do not do anything to inhibit sulfation.

I would like to understand the '6v religion' as I have had Trojan T105's that didn't last one summer - they are no different from any others. I just replaced a B-Van Exide house battery at 8 years (group 24 12v and still in reasonable condition).
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have had the same Trojan T105's for 10 years without a problem. Got scared they would fail so I replaced them again with the same Trojan batteries and they are the 6 volt batteries. Never had a lick of problems with them. The idea of the two 6 volts batteries is that the can supply more amperage than two 12 volt batteries. Never have timed either to see which one last longer with the same draw. I do not plug my motorhome in when I get home I only use a battery maintenance charger which seems to be the trick to not getting the plates all messed up.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
[quote]The idea of the two 6 volts batteries is that the can supply more amperage than two 12 volt batteries.quote]

Actually the opposite is true...2 sixes in series, double the voltage and the ampere hour capacity stays the same....2 twelves in parallel give you the same voltage, but double the amp hour capacity, otherwise why do it. The main reason for the two sixes for some time now, has been for the use of golf cart batteries, which are true deep cycle and fit the task much better at a resonable price. Now there are 12 volt golf cart batteries available, but most compartments won't handle two in parallel anyway. You don't need a lot of current capacity for the coach, but you do need something with the ability to charge up and discharge down frequently and still get some longetivity from them.

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote