Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Well after almost two yrs. since discovering this great forum and asking questions and shopping around for a used MH we pulled the trigger on a 2005 6376LX. We will be driving it home sometime in the next two weeks a 550 mile trip from near Birmingham to St. Louis. After driving down and back I don't think we can do 550 miles in one haul, actually I'm certain of it. It's too long of a haul for a new driver traveling 60-65mph. My question is I see OTR truck drivers sleeping at rest areas. Is it typically ok for an rv'er to do the same? Would a Walmart be better. The rest areas are certainly more convenient and I have one in mind. Thoughts?

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
I would and have used a Wal-mart and Cracker-barrel for an overnight stay. Rest ares are not the best place to be in for over night stays, most states forbid it as well.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
I would and have used a Wal-mart and Cracker-barrel for an overnight stay. Rest ares are not the best place to be in for over night stays, most states forbid it as well.
1st night looks like a WM second night at a campground to be more comfortable and will act like a shake down stay w/o water and waste, because those are winterized.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
1st night looks like a WM second night at a campground to be more comfortable and will act like a shake down stay w/o water and waste, because those are winterized.

To all who's interested we arrived home this evening driving straight thru from Birmingham. Decided not to do the campground we would have arrived to early there. Hadn't planned on driving the whole 500+ miles but it drove nice and I felt confident and comfortable with it so we just kept driving. All went well however I developed a small problem with the steps since we arrived home as they won't retract all the way in they have been working fine during the trip.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by legryz View Post
550 miles is a long haul for even someone with many years under their belt, I've done it and it is rough on the body and mind, so happy to hear you're not going to attempt it. I have never stayed at a Wal-Mart (I don't even shop at them) but I have spent some time at rest areas, not the entire night though. Usually pulling in after dark and heading out soon after sunrise. The few times I have stopped at RA's, I never had any problems. Most of the time while traveling, we find a CG not far from our route and help out the local economy.
Good luck with your new Dolphin I'm sure you'll love it.
X2 on that. I go about 300 miles and I'm done. There is nothing fun about driving the coach unless you are on the wide open hiway or driving a prevost conversion.
On the way home from our last trip, Julia thought it would be cool to go across the Golden Gate Bridge on the way home. MMmmmmm, I should of thought that one through. Try Vanness street in the coach with a Jeep in tow. No thanks. Good thing she took pictures. It will be the last time.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #19

Rick,

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Wish I would have remembered the pictures.

Was it windy the day you crossed? The bridge was not too bad but the approach scared me to death and I'm fearless.

~Bill
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=tmw188;2886617]Well after almost two yrs. since discovering this great forum and asking questions and shopping around for a used MH we pulled the trigger on a 2005 6376LX. We will be driving it home sometime in the next two weeks a 550 mile trip from near Birmingham to St. Louis. After driving down and back I don't think we can do 550 miles in one haul, actually I'm certain of it. It's too long of a haul for a new driver traveling 60-65mph. My question is I see OTR truck drivers sleeping at rest areas. Is it typically ok for an rv'er to do the same? Would a Walmart be better. The rest areas are certainly more convenient and I have one in mind.
rbh44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
We stay at Walmart when not at an RV park. Make sure to always go in and ask first. They have been very generous to us, naturally they know we will be shopping a lot in the store. We always stay at Super centers and have met many great RV's there.Good luck
rbh44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill WA6YBD View Post
Rick,

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. Wish I would have remembered the pictures.

Was it windy the day you crossed? The bridge was not too bad but the approach scared me to death and I'm fearless.

~Bill
No wind, just a crazy amount of tourists, buses, people and cars.
The white knuckle through SF was nuts. At least Julia thought I did a super job getting us through the city without a boo boo. These coaches don't belong in the congested city.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #23

American Coach Owners Club
We ALWAYS use the rest areas when we've had enough driving. Never had a problem & maybe it's just my weird personality, but I like being able to pull over, make dinner, get some rest & then back on the road again. The rest area, to us, is part of the adventure!
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbh44 View Post
We stay at Walmart when not at an RV park. Make sure to always go in and ask first. They have been very generous to us, naturally they know we will be shopping a lot in the store. We always stay at Super centers and have met many great RV's there.Good luck

Yep, we bought some groceries to make lunch with on the way home, donuts, water, coffee creamer and some beer. We had nothing in the coach because we rented a car to go pick it up and had nothing in the refrigerator.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:03 AM   #25

Carolina Campers
New Dolphin Owner

We have stayed at Wal-Marts, Flying J, Rest areas, Costco, Sam's, Truck Stops, etc.

Unless I am in a rush, and have a deadline to meet, I usually am able to find a RV park with an opening. I don't mind driving 15 miles or more out of the way in order to stay at a park versus some of the above choices though.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Pilot/Flying J truck stops are also good choices for overnight parking. We've also stayed at Walmarts and road side parks with no problems. Cracker Barrel will also let you stay the night along with many Lowe's. Happy and safe traveling.
jimnkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
tmw....ever get your steps to work better ?
Old 02-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
tmw....ever get your steps to work better ?

I did thank you for asking. You know when we bought it and drove it back home those steps got used a lot in 24hrs. and just started acting up. Just lubed the heck out of them and helped them up the last couple of inches a few times and they seem to be fine. Thanks

Tags
dolphin