Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2016, 04:13 AM   #1

New owner of a 96 Tropical

I bought a low mileage 96 with only 27000 miles. It looks new inside and out. The dealer replaced every bad component and the tires. They didn't tell me what the valve stem sticking out under the left headlight is for.
gene680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My guess, if it's installed on a Chevy chassis, it is there to inflate the airbags in the front coil spring suspension.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:28 AM   #3

Thanks

Now the valve stem makes sense. It is a Chevy chassis. Appreciate the response.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With 27K miles on it,.. thats 1300 per year, who would have such low miles for the year, I think you got a great deal on it for age and miles.
Regards
Marv
cyclone429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #5

Thanks

Yes I think we lucked out as newbies. The dealer RV World here in Florida kept their promise and replaced a number of things including six new tires. I am replacing the old backup camera (which still works) with a new color wireless model. The interior is like new. The stove was never used. I'm sure we will still find some surprises but overall we feel lucky.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wireless backup cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene680 View Post
I am replacing the old backup camera (which still works) with a new color wireless model.
Ours has the original and I just started looking into options, so wireless with color is possible? I took the access cover off in the closet and the foam was very thick, the monitor is fine, but color and clarity is better today.

Any brands models your considering
Regards
cyclone429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:02 AM   #7

Color camera

I bought a 7" color monitor and camera from Order Your Wireless Backup Camera from Tadibrothers Today! The package was $224. Easy install. Used 12 volts from the old monitor and clipped the old camera feed wire to send power back to the camera. I mounted it upside down in the same spot as the old monitor. You can flip the view right side up with a button, or if you prefer they sell an articulated mount. It has provision for an additional camera. I may install a side camera later. They also sell a complete rv package with more cameras. Pretty nifty setup and turned out easier to install that I thought. The company got excellent ratings. I do get some motor noise ( looks like static on the screen) and will call them Monday for a solution.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #8

More on the color camera

Well it turned out to be a bigger problem than I expected but it all worked out in the end. The old CRT black and white monitor would occasionally cut out and I had to turn the screen off and back on to bring it up again. It turned out the new color unit did the same. Deducing the line from cockpit to camera must have a short, we hooked the camera power to a clearance light right above the camera pod. It worked great. It requires I run with the parking lights on but that's not a problem. A bonus is that if I forget and leave the parking lights on a loud buzzer sounds when I turn off the key. I'm still getting some interference despite installing the optional noise filter. It's not awful but hopefully I can fiddle enough to make it go away. The frequencies the wireless stuff uses is subject to interference and may never totally disappear. I hope this helps explain more on the whole issue. One note on Tadi Brothers. Customer support is NOT 24/7 it's only during business hours Monday-Friday in California despite what the website says. I found them less than helpful, frankly a little surly so be forewarned.