RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #1

New Owner of National (Dolphin 2004) 36 foot

Would like to know if anyone has experienced a banging hard noise from the front end when going on rough roads, and bumps (like expansion joints in the road). It feels like metal on metal) We have new shocks and air bags. No problems when we are on smooth roads.

Appreciate any advice or response.

lilslink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #2

Check bushings on sway bar and shock absorbers. They might be so worn that they fell out.

Basegasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Without seeing the vehicle, it sounds like a ball joint (or kingpin if so equipped) separation. As heavy as the suspension is under a class A, I'd be heading for a frame shop. Not cheap but neither is a total separation or funeral!!!!
alandbarbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basegasket View Post
Check bushings on sway bar and shock absorbers. They might be so worn that they fell out.
The OP might not even have a sway bar, but on my P30 chassis, mine were shot. The OEM types are cheap enough and an easy change out. There are aftermarket parts out there and some even have grease fittings, but are more money and I didn't feel the extra need for such.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP doesn't say what chassis is under his coach.

If it is a WH:

Plastic spacers on front leaf springs may be missing. Their should be white nylon? like spacers at the ends of the lower leaf. Without them the leaves may slap during rough riding..

Mine came from the factory minus these spacers. Once new ones were installed, not a sound has occurred in the past 10 years and 80k miles.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Dash

Sure the noise is coming from the chassis and not something loose in/under dash or under hood?
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I too have loud bangs when going over rough roads..2004 Dolphin LX6342.
I got some info about shocks when I posted the problem as I asked about shocks maybe causing it..or even tire pressure not right..I guess the weight of the coach and the tire pressure should correspond..there should be a tire pressure ledger inside one of your up front cabinets..I have a lot of rattling going on under the dash as well..just haven't gotten under there to try to tape or secure whatever is loose..but on a good troad its like a cadillac.
gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I finally got around to checking the air pressure in my new Michelins..Rears are at 90 and the fronts were at 110...ahha,,,I reduced the pressure to 90 and it really made a difference, I think....the ride feels a lot softer and not quite as much of a bangtype feeling...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #9

I have a 2007 and have grease fittings for the ball joints. One thing I did to help with noise is to fully insulate under the dash board and along the window under the plastic moldings. I also packed insulation up behind the upper front cabinets and behind the tv. I now is much better with almost no rattles.

Shocks normally do not make a load noise like you are saying.
I do not think it is hitting the bump stops

I would get under the motorhome and take a look. These suspentions are pretty simple to inspect.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Properly weighing each axle on the coach and airing up accordingly with an extra 10psi cushion will do a lot for the ride and also for squeaks and rattles. There's nothing printed anywhere on the coach that can accomplish the same thing towards proper inflation.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #11

2004 Dolphin

Thanks every one who replied.
I should add that this is a workhorse chaise with new shocks and installed air bags. I took it to Lazy Days in Tampa and they couldn't find anything and referred me to Tampa Springs who said that it might be where the body connects to the frame but couldn't see into the area because of the paneling. They said that their was defiantly something wrong but that the suspension was fine.The banging seems to coming primarily from the drivers side but shakes the whole dash.You can feel it in the steering wheel when you are on the interstate and hit expansion joints.
Any more thoughts before I have to have it taken apart ?
Old 04-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I know exactly what your talking about. I have the same problem..I lowered the pressure on my front tires and seems to help a little but don't know why the thing seems to hit so hard on bumps and stuff..if you ever find something please let me know,,I'll do the same..thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

Thanks for the reply. The dealer in Co. Spgs. ,who I bought the rig from, said he would look at it when I get back in town ( currently in Fl. ) and I will be glad to let you what he finds out. Will have to find smooth roads going back.
Feel free to call me if you like.
Daryl,
719-310-1039
Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #14

The idiot dealer we bought our 2000 Dolphin used incorrect lubrication on the tag axle and it broke on us coming out of a small town in Missouri. We could not get a straight answer out of our insurance company as to whether they would pay for a tow, so an RV mechanic in this small town 'jury rigged' a fix to get us to Florida
until we could get a proper fix. We made it, after keeping an eagle eye on what he told us to look for. He did a great job and we made it in one piece. It cost $1000 to get the tag axle fixed and a great deal of time for the mechanic in Florida to find the Dexter axle specified (Dexter didn't make them anymore but luckily still had some in stock!)

The RV itself was laid out so well; every inch of space was used and none wasted. We loved our Dolphin.