Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #15

Question?

Will it hurt to start the engine from time to time to help keep the engine batteries up/charged? while we are parked and plug into the electric meter?
And while we are parked do we run the A/C or heat if we need them ?
I am not sure how the electrical system is?
with inverted or converter just yet?

We have to ask the dealer how all this works...but the inside has electrical outlets and I am guessing to run things like TV's a fan, Cpap machine, mixer, hair dryer or even a electric heater if needed?. (we may need to check the wattage on some of these appliances)

Do these coaches have breaker boxs? not sure how to use the generator but I am thinking maybe that's used while boon-docking or when no electric is available?

...but while were at the RV Park and pluged into the electric there should be no problems with the appliances and the central a/c heat? correct?....the A/C Are on top the roof and a black satellite dome on the front,,,we just have to depend on the dealer and of course you more experienced RVer's

Thanks Everyone!!!

Britt
Brittwa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Yes they have breakers, on my Tradewinds it is located at the bottom of the wall just before the bedroom. Don't worry about the batteries, as long as you are plugged in the batteries will be charged. As for the Generator I was told by others to start it and let it run for a bit each month, yet when I had it in for the radiator repair the Manufacturer told me I didn't have to exercise it each month. Have the dealer walk you through the starting and shutting down of the generator. Your genny has a breaker switch on it right by the outside starter button, get familiar with this because even though the genny will start if the breaker on it tripped you will get no electrical power in the MH, been there done that, thanks to a nice neighbor at a RV park I learned about that.

Also in one of the outside compartments you will find a big fuse area, one thing nice about it is if one of those fuses go bad a light will go on by the bad fuse.

I would also suggest a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) these will give you peace of mind going down the road as you are able to see the tire pressure on each tire and on most systems the tire temperature.

Check the date on the tires, on an RV you will age out on tire life before you wear them out. I change out at 6-7 years. In one of your cabinets, usually over the drivers seat, you will see the weights of your coach and also a suggested tire pressure.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #17

Roger that sgtjoe Thanks sooo much for the Info buddy.

Not sure what you mean about the TPMS?

We have that feature on our SUV but I don't think the RV has that?

Unless its a kit of some type? if there's a way to put a cap on each tire or some type of tracking/montoring devise and some type of wireless receiver up close to the drivers seat? is this something I can do?

Do they have the TPMS (*KIT) for any particular Model year for RV?
This RV is a National RV 2006 Tropi Cal 370 LX, so its not that long. just duels on the back and the front tires so just 6 tires.(not sure about a spare?)

Supposedly this RV has New GoodYear tires all around...they look New still has deep thread and those little (tits) that stick out from the tires.

Also I was told to put something down like piece plywood or rubber pad or some type of plastic over the gravel spot we have and drive on to it on all titres to help the tires not getting weather rot or chemical deterioration on the bottom side of the tire? (footprint) is this true? if true what would be a good product to use?

This is are biggest investment since we purchased a home, we sold our home and now we must take good care of this RV because its our home sweet home now. as we have financed it not much about 35.000 we got financed on it.

We do plan on driving it and just keep the park space were in unless a cheaper one becomes available, but due to our low income we will have to stay put and save up for fuel for our trips...So we have plan this out.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #18

Trust nearly no one.
I bought off craigslist and naively believed every word she said.
But brand spanking new or 25 years old, nothing is perfect so I am not bothered by paying for some things to be made new or having to do so much upgrading and repairing myself.
I would have liked to have taken a small 2 or 3 week trip first but oh well.....Someday, someway....
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:06 PM   #19

Britt & Brenda;

You have found your way to an excellent resource. We joined in April 2017 after purchasing our 2004 Mandalay 40D diesel pusher. We got a great deal on the unit from a local RV dealer. Like you, we made a used motorhome purchase “All systems will be demonstrated as working at the demo, and we will fix anything that doesn’t work”

When we test drove, there was a slight shake/shimmy that we “overlooked”instead of forcing a repair. (Our unit only had 20,000 miles, so we thought we were in great shape).
After our first 50 mile trip it was evident we needed help from Freightliner to fix whatever front end issue was causing this. After being in the shop for a week, I called and asked for an update. They told me tires were NG on front as the belts had snapped and could not be balanced. They were right! New tires resolved that issue and she now runs great.
Next up; engine over heating on hills and cooling on the way down hills.
The people on this forum nailed this problem quickly, Dirty radiator, a Cat 7 service bulletin indicated issue was oil misting below engine sticking onto rad then dust/dirt build up plugging the cooling! Another trip to Freightliner, remove and steam clean rad solved this issue.
Bottom line; theses units are built to run run run. They should not be sitting in one place for several seasons! (Think about it, 2004 MH with only 20k miles? It must have sat for many seasons).

Use this forum! People here are VERY HELPFUL! Also I have found a great resource is YouTube. I just typed in your model and there were many videos on there showing your EXACT MOTOR HOME. I always check YouTube when I am doing anything on my motorhome. As I read by another post; some of the answers are not accurate but as a reader you should be able to decide if someone knows what they are talking about!

Good luck to you both and ask away!

Dan K
dskimball1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #20

Thanks Dskimball 1

I agree with you on this buddy, you tube is a good source to find information and this wonderful site. Thanks

what a way to put it ''diesel pusher'' I can see why its called diesel pusher being the engine is in the rear. LOL

I do like to talk to experienced RV'ers thats been there done that. just as you mention with your MH and all the problems I'd have no clue as to what the mechanical problems would be or how to repair them... and be lucky to catch the DASH GAUGES for the warning signs.....I sure need to pay attention to those gauges.
I hate when things break down specially on the road but its to be expected I guess.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Welcome, you're going to love your MH. National really built a great RV. One thing I learned "the hard way" years ago was to keep the black water closed until you need to dump it. If you leave it open you will end up building a pyramid of toilet paper and stuff and it's not something you'll want to try to clean out. Hopefully your Dealer will run you through a few hours to get you familiar with your new home. There is a great bunch of folks on here and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. We bought our Tradewinds in Nov 2004 and have found nothing we would trade her for. We have snowbirded from Oct to Apr each year since 2004 until July 2016 when we sold the house and hit the road. It was a great time, but now we are back in a house in Southern Utah. Looks like we'll become Sunbirds in July--Sept now.
I really don't understand why I would ever keep the black water tank in the open position in the first place? Unless it needs to be?

I can certainly understand why I would keep it closed position... (not meaning to sound sarcastic), and yes I agree its something I definitely would not want to clean -out

We are assuming that the dealer /salesman will run us through everything we need to know and be a little more familiarized with our New Purchase.

It's not going to be ready for a few more days they predict by Nov 1st but due to ordering of some parts its not going to be the 1st.

We are going to see it today and see how they are coming along with repairs and service of the MH before we sign on the dotted Line.

So after we get it parked and set up I will let you guys know how it drives and probably have a ton of more questions.

Thanks to all who have replied. We Appreciate it.

Britt & Brenda
Old 10-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brett....."rusry lug nuts" ????? Make sure this coach has not been sitting in 5 feet of water from a Hurricane! Check inside all the lower bays for "water" stains. Get as much info as you can as to where the Dealer got the coach. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #23

I sure will Rook, thanks for the heads-up!

I will get the VIN # and do some research my self.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #24

Another question?

I went to see the coach yesterday and they are still working on it the dealer has 3 or four crews (looks like anyway) working on different areas of the coach, they have a carpenter type guy cutting out the cabinets for the new cook-top/with oven, they have a guy installing a new window on the drivers side and a guy had the Genny pulled out working on that or servicing it and also he was a refrigeration man and checking the A/C's he they add to put some type of fitting in the Freon line to add Freon.

anyway the coach was all in dismay screws laying on the dash and sawdust every where..I was shocked. anyway maybe they need to so all this stuff? the dealer said they were running behind because some of the parts they need is still on back order...so he said it could be another week or so...we are staying at our sons house until we get the RV.

On the 1st of Nov we have to go pay 500.00 to the park were staying in..the 500.00 included the water electric & sewer so guess that's not to bad. (monthly)

Anyway my question is my spouse and I are at a disagreement about her putting in the RV all her dishes silver ware and kitchen gadgets like a heavy kitchen aid mixer that usually sets out on the kitchen cabinets and all her pots and pans some of them are heavy like her two Heavy dutch ovens and a couple of heavy cast Iron skillets.

I did mention to her maybe we need to put half in storage and just keep what we truly need to use because all that stuff will weight the RV down..she said she don't care I am taking ALL my dishes and pot and pans mixer and blenders ect,,ect,,
The Coach has lots of storage in the belly but want all this stuff just weight it down? plus when we do travel we will be pulling a 2012 RX 350 SUV Lexus and I think they are pretty heavy vehicle? We did have a V.W. Tourge SUV and they weigh 5000 lbs, not sure what the Lexus weighs?

Any suggestion's?

P.S. I did ask the dealer if this coach came from Houston or was in any floods? he said no it came from a local customer that he knows personally and said as for has he knows the coach was not in a flood and the customer took pretty good care of it. but it was not garage kept he stored out side behind his home in open weather. he said that's the only bad thing he said he knows of about the coach.
Dealer and his sales people seem honest but its hard to til?? were comfortable with them so for.

Thank You All in Advance

Britt
Old 10-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brett...Your last post raises at least a yellow flag, and maybe a Red flag, for me about this Coach. Wow, 4 crews working on the coach! This Coach must be, or have been, in very bad condition! That's not a good sign! The AC's have a SEALED Freon system and never need adding Freon, unless there is a leak. Adding freon does not fix the leak! You haven't mentioned the MOST important thing.....where did the dealer get this coach? What is the history? Who was the former owner and is he available to talk to you? Has it ever been in a flood? No maintenance records? My gut feeling and my personal opinion.....pass on this coach and look for another one-owner Coach that has been well cared for.

Moving into a MH for FT living requires serious downsizing of all your worldly stuff, especially kitchen stuff! Mh's have small kitchens, very limited counter space and small storage. If your wife cannot adjust to that, then living in a MH FT will not be fun for both of you. Oh yeah, weight is not your friend when traveling.

However, when you get everything right, it's GREAT! Good luck, Rook

P.S. I just saw your P.S. after I wrote this.

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
New to this forum

Is this yours already? I tend to agree with Rook.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #27

Well it has been setting that's obvious ...the coach is nice inside and we ask them to change things for us more like replacing the old glass Bigger TV'S and rebuilding the frame's they set in...with the new flat screen LED TVs.

and they are re pluming the cook-top/oven, the drivers side window had some fog or something that caused it not to be clear so there putting in a new window.

they had put a Freon tester gauge on the inline to check the Freon, they never added any Freon they do this to make sure its not low. or if its has a block in it to keep the Freon from circulating?

....We will go through a walk through and check everything and they said if we see something they missed they will fix it..but its my baby after we drive off.

although they said We can use their RV Service as VIP Customer & they can change oil and filters and service the RV when we need it or do any repairs on it of course at a cost.

...I think the owner was an older gentleman and depended on others to service the RV, His health is failing him especially his eye sight and this could be why the coach needs a lot of attention. they have a diesel certified Mechanic that will service the engine and for a compression check and check out the turbo charger and things of this nature.
we got a pretty good deal on it..so were not out that much cost about 40.000 we need to finance
Old 10-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
New to this forum

So it sounds like you already purchased this or they wouldn't be doing these upgrades. I would hire a local RV mechanic or at least some outsider that is capable of performing a independent inspection for you. If they said they would take care of things but it's yours once you drive off I would get it done asap.
Please take the time the refrigerator is working on both LP and electric to your satisfaction. Have them turn it on LP and come back the the next day or at least 12hrs. Then switch it to electric and see if it is maintaining temp around 37. DO NOT believe any excuse from them about its operation and make sure if it's a Norcold (I'm sure it is) that it has the recall box on it. Google it so you know what to look for.

Tags
forum