Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #1

New to this forum

Hello Everyone
My name is Britt/wife name Brenda and I just join your RV National forum.

I am brand new to the RV World my wife and I just purchase a Used 2006 National RV Model Tropi Cal LX 370...It has a 350 H.P. Cat Engine and 600 Allison transmission....

We have never driven it yet the Dealer is getting everything ready (hopefully) and we pick it up Nov 1st... we will take it to a RV Park and full time it.
I will have a lot of questions to ask & read this forum to see if any of the questions I need to know have been answered?

Not sure what all were in for RVing?

but a little about myself and spouse. I am 65 she is 63 were both disabled but can get around slowly , she has osteoporosis pretty bad and neurophy problems, I have bad hearing, and arthritics pretty bad & more aches and pains, I am a Vietnam Combat Veteran. ( I don't like to talk about Vietnam)
We live in Texas. (but I am a Okie) Born in Hugo Oklahoma.

I need to read this forum post and learn how to navigate in it. need to learn how to read the different post, after I post this I will look for it...I am not use to being in a internet forum..but willing to try to learn.

Needless to say were both scared and not so sure how driving this RV will be I never driven one in my life but going to try it...we sold our home to do this and were going to try it for a year or two if we love it will will be full timers.

Thank you all for the information and tips that you all can give us were open to any and all RVing Information we can get especially the maintenance and maintain of our RV.

Britt & Brenda
Brittwa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Britt and Brenda. This Forum is perhaps the best source for answers to your RV questions on the planet! Tons of good answers based on experience, often on your exact MH.. It's easy to navigate, it just takes familiarity. The "search" function is very helpful. I've been FT in my Coach for 5 years....love it. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #3

Thank you Rook,

It's good to be here,I /We Have a lot to learn, especially bout RV's...so for my ''common sense'' has worked out ok for me but some times even that slips up

I will definitely be using the ''Search''function to navigate!

Right now learning to drive this RV and knowing what buttons to push and what ones not to push and how to set it up is my main task....

I hope we get some good neighbors out at the RV Park were going to be staying at for a while.

Most if not all RV Folks we run across are great people.
And it sounds like this forum is going to be our God Send.

Oh btw, you mention your RV Cat 300 H.P. and chassis as Freightliner XC...I believe this RV we have as a Cat 350 HP turbo & Freightliner chassis also....is this a good thing?

Thanks for the warm friendly Welcome.

Britt
Old 10-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Britt, you will soon learn "who" to really pay attention to as compared to those you should cautiously consider, even though they mean well and just want to help, some just offer a WAG, meant to be helpful. You will learn all are trying to be helpful......and that's a good thing!

Cat is a very good Engine and Feightlliner is one of the best Chassis.....GREAT support from both. Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome!! I have substantially, the same coach although mine is a 2005. We love ours and it has served us well for the last 4 years but we are not full-timers. Let us know if we can help.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

I think you have a 3000MH Allison, not a 600.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Welcome, you're going to love your MH. National really built a great RV. One thing I learned "the hard way" years ago was to keep the black water closed until you need to dump it. If you leave it open you will end up building a pyramid of toilet paper and stuff and it's not something you'll want to try to clean out. Hopefully your Dealer will run you through a few hours to get you familiar with your new home. There is a great bunch of folks on here and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. We bought our Tradewinds in Nov 2004 and have found nothing we would trade her for. We have snowbirded from Oct to Apr each year since 2004 until July 2016 when we sold the house and hit the road. It was a great time, but now we are back in a house in Southern Utah. Looks like we'll become Sunbirds in July--Sept now.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Britt & Brenda

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:50 AM   #9

Welcome

Welcome aboard! You will find answers here. Take your time and learn your NRV home. Maybe find a owner who can walk you through your unit and help you. Heck, I bought my 01 new and am still discovering things about it. Use it, don't park and let it set even if just short trips. Good luck!
Whaler2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:22 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you see the dealer for the walk-thru......bring a video camera as you tour the inside and outside. Hopefully there is an owner's manual for chassis and coach. If I were you, I would hire a RV mobile mechanic to check out coach before any paperwork signed. I would also hire a diesel mechanic to do a check. So now you are out $200-300 dollars......and hopefully it will save you thousands down the line. BTW, there should be a fix-it-list signed by the dealer GM (not salesman) to take care of problems that surfaced during your inspections...at no cost to you.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
from WA State!

I think you have a 3000MH Allison, not a 600.
Oh ok your probably right Mr_D ...I will ask about it, all is suppose to be in good working condition, Not sure when the last oil change was so the dealer is checking on that for us, they think the Prv- owner just had it change, but we ask them if there no way to tell or no records of it? we ask them to go ahead and change the oil & filters in the engines/and the generator. log it down.

I have a gut feeling it has been setting outdoors for a long period?? the left (passenger side) front mirror has bubbles/rust on the arm just under the mirror and I notice the lug nuts were a little rusty at the base where it tightens against the wheel..unless this is a normal thing? I will definitely ask the dealer about it..I know it can't be that way for state inspection!

Hopefully if it has been setting? ...we can drive the kinks out (so-to-speak) I'll have the front wheel bearings repacked.

We just rented a spot for it at a private RV Park the electric meter and water/sewer is all in the same area about 5 ft in from the back of the spot on the drivers side (Back in)...so all the hook ups will be fairly easy. I did buy a
50 amp surge protector with warning indicator lights to let me know if it has the correct voltage. I also got a water pressure regulator with gauge& water filter.

The sewer line may pose a problem because its right there just 1 ft from the coach...not sure how long SEWER HOSE we will need but the sewer pipe is right there by the electric meter and water facet. (maybe this is a good thing?)

Good tip from Scooter, We will definitely bring a IPOD/&Phone camera and record the walk thru.

Thanks for the tip
We fully appreciate all the tips/help we can get
Thank you All.

Briit
Old 10-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Britt & Brenda! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we picked up the present rig the shop (consignment dealer) went through and changed most filters and fluids. They didn't do the filters in the Allison 4000 so I did that myself. We also didn't get maintenance records as the original owner had a trucking business so he just had his mechanics do the work and no work orders were written.
The PDI was not very thorough either, in fact I didn't check the auto or manual gen start which didn't work. The dealer did fix it at no cost over a year later though. Getting it fixed wasn't a high priority compared to the late DW's liver cancer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
When you see the dealer for the walk-thru......bring a video camera as you tour the inside and outside. Hopefully there is an owner's manual for chassis and coach. If I were you, I would hire a RV mobile mechanic to check out coach before any paperwork signed. I would also hire a diesel mechanic to do a check. So now you are out $200-300 dollars......and hopefully it will save you thousands down the line. BTW, there should be a fix-it-list signed by the dealer GM (not salesman) to take care of problems that surfaced during your inspections...at no cost to you.
Great Advise Roger that.

The salesman did let us know if we see anything were not sure about or see any thing that needs attention to for repair just let him know and they will take care of it...

actually their working on it now its been in the shop for a week now.

They have their own certified diesel mechanic and will be checking out the engine and drive train...we will just have to take their word for it.
They seem to be an open and honest dealer. (we hope)

We are going to look at insurance for repairs out on the road ect,,ect,, & We been thinking bout joining the Good Sams Club? any one know of a reasonable RV Insurance??

Thank you in Advance

Britt

Tags
forum