RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club

Good evening all. Bought a (new to us) 98 National Dolphin 5350 with the P30 Chevy 7.4L vortek. I did not do what I have read on her to about making sure everything is checked out before purchasing, but it was a deal that was hard to pass up. I have been going through the systems. First I should say that the price was based on the fact that the auto park brake was not functional, thanks to the very helpful people and old used bear on this forum, I was able to make it functional again.😁 With original equipment. I have a new issue that I am dealing with now. I have fired up the gen and it runs like a champ, fired up the a/c and it blows fine but does not cool. Does anybody have an idea what to look for? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you, to all you old dogs who have been around these things and figured out things and sharing your knowledge.

Irata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:31 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Firstly

could simply need a recharge or o rings need to be replaced. The condenser filter could be clogged, condenser could be holed. If you had a gauge set I could help you further. I would recommend contacting an air conditioning service for grocery store coolers etc.

Good luck

ModestMonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
A/C

Do you have only one A/C unit?

Check your thermostat. Believe me, I know! Then give it some time to kick on. You may also want to be hooked to Land Electric and try the a/c and then go to your generator and try the a/c.

Good luck.
yn1bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could be almost anything on a unit that old. Good suggestion to try it on shore power as well as generator. Make sure the unit is set to cool and not just fan and that thermostat is all the way down and let it run for an extended period. Those units have a time delay on compressor start-up and it may not be instantaneous. It may be as simple as a capacitor or as complicated as a bad compressor or coolant leak.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #5

A/C

I have a '96 very similar to yours. Had a problem like that on the rear a/c. The start capacitor for the compressor has a hard start built-in. It was burned up, but never shorted out. I got on the roof, removed the cover, and the cover on the metal box that holds the capacitors and installed a Supco hard start capacitor kit.

https://arnoldservice.com/wp-content...erBoostall.jpg
mjlayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
I got up on the roof this past Saturday morning and removed the shroud and metal cover and found the capacitor burned. Went to a local A/C supply and bought a new capacitor. Also checked the front unit and everything there looks ok. On a different note. My rig has a reg axle and when I was under there hunting down a broke wire for the stop lights on the left side, I found the brake lines from the rear axle to the tag axle are capped off. Because I am new to tag axles, I don't know what goes there to control the brakes for the tag. Any help would be emenslly appreciated. Thanks
Irata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:16 AM   #7

Tag Axle

The brakes on the tag axle are very complex. Mine didn't work, but all the components were there. A vacuum line from the engine goes to a vacuum controller between the back axles on the passenger side, then to a brake booster/master cylinder. A brake line from the vehicle brakes goes to the vacuum controller. The controller applies vacuum to the booster, which causes the master cylinder to send brake pressure to the tag brakes. I tow a car and trailer most of the time and having the tag axle brakes made a noticeable difference. If you don't have a TOAD or trailer you may not need tag axle brakes.

I've attached a diagram I found on line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TagHydroboostDiagramLg.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	155533  

mjlayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags