RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #1

Newbie need help

Newbie here just bought a 1994 Dolphin 32D ford chassis . It has a generac genset . The problem is my generator is not putting out to run a/c's . It cranks when I jump it off but will not produce any power. When I first looked at RV to purchace owner had it on battery charger and it cranked fine produced power to everything. Bought RV took on first trip this week. Got on road started Gen. after on road A/c would come on for 10seconds shut off come back on shut off. Now it will not do anything. I read some where if you are not getting enough volts to gen it will not produce power could this be the case. Because I know the previous owner did tell me the battery charger would not charge the batteries so he would just charge them with a seperate charger he bought at walmart. Any help would be appreciated.

fishingjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you have one of the NP series generators; shutting off the generator while it still has a load on it causes the regulator to go to full output as it tries to keep the voltage up while the generator is slowing down, which strains the regulator. Eventually it fails.

Here is the technical guide for the NP series generators.

It includes a troubleshooting flowchart and things to check before condemning the voltage regulator. If the engine is running close to the right speed you can skip to the "No AC Output" section.

Here is a more comprehensive troubleshooting guide.

The troubleshooting steps for no output start on Page 19.

Or you can just replace the regulator first and see if that solves the problem.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks will check tomorrow and update.
fishingjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #4

It was low voltage from house battery to generator. I called a generac service shop and they told me to charge my house batteries and start generator turn breakers on and see if led lite comes on on generator. The lite did not come on before fully charging batteries. So I put batteries on charger last night got up early this morning went out to motor home and started generator lite came on turn a\c's on both worked without a problem. So I guess even if you have enough juice to start and run generator if you don't have proper voltage from batteries generator will not produce power.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm glad you corrected your problem and everything seems to be running OK.
I guess I've never heard of the batteries needing to be up to full charge for the generator to output electricity. The batteries have to be fully charged to start it but once it's up and running it's on it's own to produce AC power.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
In the Nationals, at least the earlier ones, the chassis battery is used for generator starting.

Like all RV generators, the governing power sourse is 12v. This power sourse comes from the 12v coach system, not the chassis system.

So, with dead coach batteries and no working charging system in place there was no 12v power to control the generator.

Fishingjohn: You need to get yourself a new coach charger. I would highly recommend a Progressive Dynamics PD 9245. You also need to know if your system will keep your chassis battery charged while parked. I suspect it doesn't. If not, there are easy and cheap ways to take care of this.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #7

Thanks for the info . I will be ordering the charger tomorrow.

Tags