Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Newbie question

Hello there, I have only been doing this RV thing for a couple of years since retiring from the military.

I have a used 99 National Tradewinds 7370 motorhome. I have some questions about the proper way to run some things.

When I first start everything after sitting for a while, I'm not sure I am doing things right.

I first turn on the batteries as It has a disconnect switch located near the batteries. I then start up the coach and it all seems fine.
When I go to camp and plug into shore power, I plug in, then there is a panel on the inside that shows the aux battery disconnect switch located right by the entry door. I turn that on and the coach has power. There is also a switch panel in the hallway that appears to be some kind of inverter switch maybe? I turn that on and it shows the rate and level of charge from shore power.

When I run on just the generator, I'm not sure what switches I need to have on or off?
injuredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
When in storage, it's correct to turn both house and chassis batteries off unless you have shore power to maintain the batteries. When you go to use the RV, I'd turn both chassis and house batteries on so both battery groups are charged from the engine alternator. When on shore power or generator, both house and chassis disconnect switches should be turned on so all batteries are charged.

If your not sure all batteries connect when a charging voltage is present, take multimeter voltage readings when you first open up the RV. A healthy fully charged battery should read 12.7v. Turn on the disconnect switches, then start the engine. After a couple of minutes, take voltage readings again and see if both battery groups show a voltage jump to 13.4v or more. If both house and chassis show a voltage increase, this shows that both battery disconnect solenoids and the interconnecting solenoid that should be present are properly operating. You can also check when connected to shore power or the generator that both battery groups are charging.

I can't help with the switch in the hall, I'd verify what it controls. If it's an inverter, see what circuits it powers. An inverter/charger takes the place of a converter/charger, but they usually don't have switches in the hallway. An inverter can be very useful, but it would help to know which circuits it energizes. An inverter left on when not being used can use battery capacity when you don't want it to.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #3

Nationals have a switch panel in the hallway.

That’s where my inverter switch is, along with some display info and other stuff. The OP’s Tropical would be similar given his description.

I think the gist of the question is turning the inverter off when plugged in, or on genny, etc. I have left my 2KW Freedom on continuously for about 13 years, plugged in at home, driving, at campgrounds, whatever. All good. Agree if boondocking it can use power just sitting there on. I don’t boondock for more than overnight.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #4

injuredvet, refer to the “battery info in hallway” thread. Someone snapped some pics of the hallway panel, and the discussion likely covers many of your questions about that panel.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags