RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #1

Nice to have her back and some questions

Well after having our awning riped off on the highway last Oct. our rig is finally out of the shop and back in the driveway. When the awning was flaying around it was doing so with the awning support bars attached creating some significant damage. What had to be replaced is as follows; both driving mirrors, air horns, both air conditioner shrouds, solar panel, 5 maxi air covers, skylight over shower, entire roof and rubber coating, and of coarse the awning and hardware. So on the plus side, we have a 10 year transferable warrenty on the roof and a 3 year transferable warrenty on the awning as well as coach having a new look. While in, we had the carpets steam cleaned which also gives the coach a new look. Nice to have her back again but must say that having an awning let go at 65 mph is not an experience that will be soon forgotten. Looking forward to getting back on the road as soon as we can (can't wait for spring especially since we got another foot of snow this week). As we prep for our 2 months on the road there are a few things we considering. Before I ask the questions some info on the coach. We have just over 43,000 miles on the coach, all is running fine, fresh oil change and lube (V10 triton), trany fluid where it should be on the stick and looking at about 5-6,000 miles this summer . Now the questions;
1. Thinking might change out the plugs? have read should change out at around 50-60 thousand miles. Would like some opinions.
2. Also thinking of a trany flush, new fluid and filter. Just as preventative maintainance or should I leave well enough alone. Not having any difficulties but wonder when others have had their trany service.
3. How many out there keep a travel diary? DW and I have been looking over ours from the last couple of years and found it amazing how we remembered the 25,000 miles plus of traveling, the many fuel stops, and the 147 nights on the road. As we were reviewing we were also adding in the things that we remembered such as campgrounds with good dog runs, scenic trails, creeks and streams, scenic stuff etc etc etc
4. We have Good Sam's Club but we are also looking at Passport America. Looks like there are quite a few Passport America campgrounds on our way from Winnipeg to South Carolina (seem more as we look south). Would like some opinions from people that have used Passport America since we are thinking of adding it as well as maintaining our Good Sam's Club membership.
Thanks in advance for your opinions and ideas.

luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of good questions that I have as well. We are PA members and I guess the best part is the 50% off..the only thing I don't like is that lots of the campgrounds don't accept the card during certain months..you can go on the site and browse around without being a member to see for yourself..Other than that I'll take $20 off a night anytime..can't wait to hear answers on your other questions. We have 30,000 mi. on our Dolphin and have been asking ourselves the same questions..Happy trails!

gonational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got her back

First, sorry to hear of your damage. I feel your pain as my engine burned out this past January. I did not have an extended warranty, so had to pay all out of pocket.

Well after having our awning ripped off on the highway last Oct. our rig is finally out of the shop and back in the driveway. When the awning was flaying around it was doing so with the awning support bars attached creating some significant damage. What had to be replaced is as follows; both driving mirrors, air horns, both air conditioner shrouds, solar panel, 5 maxi air covers, skylight over shower, entire roof and rubber coating, and of coarse the awning and hardware. So on the plus side, we have a 10 year transferable warrenty on the roof and a 3 year transferable warrenty on the awning as well as coach having a new look. While in, we had the carpets steam cleaned which also gives the coach a new look. Nice to have her back again but must say that having an awning let go at 65 mph is not an experience that will be soon forgotten. Looking forward to getting back on the road as soon as we can (can't wait for spring especially since we got another foot of snow this week). As we prep for our 2 months on the road there are a few things we considering. Before I ask the questions some info on the coach. We have just over 43,000 miles on the coach, all is running fine, fresh oil change and lube (V10 triton), trany fluid where it should be on the stick and looking at about 5-6,000 miles this summer . Now the questions;
1. Thinking might change out the plugs? have read should change out at around 50-60 thousand miles. Would like some opinions. I believe it is recommended to change plugs at 100k miles, but probably not a bad idea to replace at 60K
2. Also thinking of a tranny flush, new fluid and filter. Just as preventative maintenance or should I leave well enough alone. Not having any difficulties but wonder when others have had their tranny service. This is a good idea. I would also strongly consider going to synthetic oil/fluids. Every auto mechanic I asked said synthetic is better.
3. How many out there keep a travel diary? DW and I have been looking over ours from the last couple of years and found it amazing how we remembered the 25,000 miles plus of traveling, the many fuel stops, and the 147 nights on the road. As we were reviewing we were also adding in the things that we remembered such as campgrounds with good dog runs, scenic trails, creeks and streams, scenic stuff etc etc etc Why ask? There is no downside to keeping a travel diary.I would come in especially handy when visiting the same area a second time.
4. We have Good Sam's Club but we are also looking at Passport America. Looks like there are quite a few Passport America campgrounds on our way from Winnipeg to South Carolina (seem more as we look south). Would like some opinions from people that have used Passport America since we are thinking of adding it as well as maintaining our Good Sam's Club membership.
Thanks in advance for your opinions and ideas. We have used Passport America with mixed results. Discounts are great, parks have been decent, but not that many parks in the system. I suggest joining The BPOE (Elks). They are everywhere, most have RV parking, lodge has food/bar, you are instant family and it is a terrific service organization. You can take advantage and give back to the community/nation/world all at the same time

Hope this helps.

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tranny fluid change, with synthetic - yes if it's not been done before (I think the Ford recommendation is every 30k/miles (is for mine)).

Passport America - yes, use it just a couple times and it pays for itself. As for the restrictions on dates and days I have found if you ask, often the CG will set aside these.

Plugs - no, I would keep the money in your pocket.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote