RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

No Running Lights on Trailer behind RV

1999 National Seaview 8340
Ford V10

The running lights on the trailer I tow behind my RV will not turn on.

- All other lights on the RV and trailer work including the running lights on the RV
- I have confirmed that the trailer is wired correctly (with test light and by hooking it to another new vehicle)
- There is no power to the running lights at the wire in the back of the RV
- I checked all fuses on the two fuse blocks that I am aware of (of course neither of them) 1) The fuse box under the dash on the driver side and 2) the fuse box in the engine compartment

Leaving Friday night and cant figure this out

Any help is really appreciated!!!

Honey_Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Did you check for 12v in the running lights pin of the trailer connector on the back bumper? If no power there, check fuse #15 in the Power Distribution box under the hood in most F 53 set ups.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Did you check for 12v in the running lights pin of the trailer connector on the back bumper? If no power there, check fuse #15 in the Power Distribution box under the hood in most F 53 set ups.
Yes at the Pin and at the wire behind the pin
Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Hi Guy's, I had a similar problem on our Tropical. Lost different lights 1 at a time. I have a fuse block in the inverter compartment for the trailer lights.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
If you had power with the RV light switch on at the pin, then check the plug in the trailer cord. It's unlikely it's bad since you seemed to have a good connection when plugged into the other vehicle, perhaps it's an intermittent connection, the worst type to track down.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #6

Quote:
If you had power with the RV light switch on at the pin, then check the plug in the trailer cord. It's unlikely it's bad since you seemed to have a good connection when plugged into the other vehicle, perhaps it's an intermittent connection, the worst type to track down.
read the op posts;; he clearly said he has NO power at the plug and hence also not at the pin
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
No power at the pin or wire for the running light at the back of the RV at anytime.

The RV running lights work fine.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinespool View Post
Hi Guy's, I had a similar problem on our Tropical. Lost different lights 1 at a time. I have a fuse block in the inverter compartment for the trailer lights.

Great suggestion. I forgot about the fuse panel in there. Unfortunately all of the fuses look good. And of course none of the the fuses in there are labeled so I am not even sure what they go to.

Thank you for that great suggestion
Old 01-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
According to a 2000 F-53 owner's manual (pages 45 through 48), check the voltages at Fuse #6 and Fuse #12 in the Power Distribution Box (PDB) under the hood, and also at the trailer marker lamp relay in the Auxiliary Relay Box (ARB), position #2. The ARB is below the PDB, under the hood. The relay could have failed.

The Ford Body Builder Layout Book link is here.

I believe our 2008 has similar wiring, with slight differences in the fuse numbers.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
According to a 2000 F-53 owner's manual (pages 45 through 48), check the voltages at Fuse #6 and Fuse #12 in the Power Distribution Box (PDB) under the hood, and also at the trailer marker lamp relay in the Auxiliary Relay Box (ARB), position #2. The ARB is below the PDB, under the hood. The relay could have failed.

The Ford Body Builder Layout Book link is here.

I believe our 2008 has similar wiring, with slight differences in the fuse numbers.
I checked all fuses in the PDB because none of mine are labeled

I found the ARB, there were 4 spots for relays and the only one that was not filled was relay #2 (and it is clear it is not being used)

So I moved around the other three to see if it would change. After playing with it I figure out position #1 was for the head lights on the Motorhome. I swapped each relay into position #1 and all of them are working correctly.

Thank you for the help

So still no running lights on the trailer
Old 01-18-2017, 04:19 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
if what you are calling "running lights" are in fact, marker, clearance lights they should be hooked in with the tail lights
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It appears as if the ARB in your coach is mounted "upside down." (this is not unusual). As shown below, the headlight relay is #4, according to the chassis manual. On your coach, that makes the trailer marker lamp relay the one the third from the right. If you turn on the switch on the dash and test the voltage at the relay pins in that position, do you get 12V? Another way to test would be to have someone operate the switch while you listen for the sound of the relay opening and closing. This is a test to see if the problem may be upstream or downstream from the relay.

I forgot to ask: Do you have a chassis manual for your coach? The differences between model years are usually small, but it's helpful to have the correct one. Here's a link to the MY1999 manual online.

It would also help to know if your coach's chassis is a 1998 or 1999. This information is either on a label, or can be decoded out of your chassis VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000_Ford_F-53_Chassis_Manual_p48.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	149430  
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
It appears as if the ARB in your coach is mounted "upside down." (this is not unusual). As shown below, the headlight relay is #4, according to the chassis manual. On your coach, that makes the trailer marker lamp relay the one the third from the right. If you turn on the switch on the dash and test the voltage at the relay pins in that position, do you get 12V? Another way to test would be to have someone operate the switch while you listen for the sound of the relay opening and closing. This is a test to see if the problem may be upstream or downstream from the relay.

I forgot to ask: Do you have a chassis manual for your coach? The differences between model years are usually small, but it's helpful to have the correct one. Here's a link to the MY1999 manual online.

It would also help to know if your coach's chassis is a 1998 or 1999. This information is either on a label, or can be decoded out of your chassis VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).
As soon as I get off work I will check for power at the relay as you suggested.

The same slots were filled in the order you showed in your diagram but that was one of the boxes I actually had the diagram for and they numbered them.

It is a 99 chassis according to the vin
Old 01-18-2017, 12:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
if what you are calling "running lights" are in fact, marker, clearance lights they should be hooked in with the tail lights
All lights work on the rv the marker and tail lights when headlights are on. The trailer is just a car hauler and has two tail lights that stay lite when the head lights are on, those are not working.

Tags
light, lights

« Water leak | TPMS »