Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #1

Not getting generator gas from main tank

I am having a problem with my generator not running. If I run a gas line from the generator to an 5 gal gas tank it runs fine. I next tried to draw gas using the line going to the main tank but can only get a very small flow if any. So that leads me to the Flex line to the tank or the pickup in the tank. Does any one know if that is a hard line that is permanently fixed inside the tank and can not be adjusted?
I thought I remember reading it is set to draw gas down to a 1/4 tank. I have a 1/2 of gas now.
Also, do I need to drop the whole tank or can I just drop one side.
Also, Also, is it common the the flex line to go bad?
One more question, have anyone made a hard line to the edge of the tank so replacement of flex line would be easier?

Thanks
Carl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't believe your gas guage. Add gas or even fill your gas tank and try again. I went through a similiar problem when my motorhome was new and I didn't know how far off the gauge can be. When my gas tank reads 1/2 I have burned 50 out of 75 gallons and my generator stops running.

kennersonf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
The fuel line running from the generator to the top of the main gas tank is most likely connected to the tank with rubber fuel line. The rubber fuel line will crack with age and begin to suck air as well as some fuel whitch will cause your generator to stall or not run at all. It would be a good idea to replace any and all rubber fuel lines in this area as your main coach engine could also be affected by this condition.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the input.

I think my gas gage may be ok. When I first got it it read 1/4 tank and took 48 gals to fill it.

I think I am going to drain and drop the tank. I will see then if there is any adjustment to the generator pick up, if it has a hardline inside and if the flex line is bad.

Carl
Old 05-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #5

I have '99 Tropi-Cal, also on the Ford platform, and have had to replace mine more than once. I too want to go from a rubber line to a hard line to prevent another drop of the tank! That gets expensive since I do not have the place or equipment necessary to do the job myself.

I did find the last time that the hose on top of the tank was OK, and where the cracks had developed that time was where the hose snaked around the rear of the frame. I cut the line at the back of the tank, installed a hose connector and new hose from there to the generator. That makes it easier to replace the part that is exposed to the elements that seems to dry rot first. Also, if you run the generator on a regular basis, the gas line seems to last longer.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #6

I went ahead and replaced it with a 1/4 hard line. I used a brass coupler and 1/4 steel gas line. I came out of the sensor/fuel pickup and bent it around the tank the side of the tank and attached it to the third tank bracket. To be sure vibration does not rub on the line, I encased it with a rubber grommet. Next time it should be a snap to change.

Carl
Old 05-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced mine also and used hard line BUT still used rubber line from tank to hard line. On the advise of another poster I used rubber fuel injector line. I found you don't need to drop the tank to the ground, but just below frame level and was able to reach the center of the tank. Use little spacers when you jack the tank back up to keep the tank hold down braces from moving the clips that hold the nuts out of alignment. I was able to do it with just two jacks and 2 jack stands to hold the tank.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #8

I am having problems with generator, no fuel to generator from gas tank...any suggestions.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #9

Several years ago I had to replace the pump assembly in the fuel tank due to a faulty fuel pump. At that time I had a 1995 Dolphin on a Ford F-53 chassis. I read here someone had changed their assembly without having to drop the tank. I checked and sure enough there is enough room between the top of the tank and the bottom of the coach to remove the complete assembly without having to drop the tank. It took only about 1/2 an hour for the total job. The hardest part is getting the fuel line couplers to disengage. Even with the correct tool one of them was a real pain.

As I recall the generator pick up is a solid tube. You might try disconnecting the generator feed at the top of the tank and blow some air into the tank and see if you can hear the bubbles inside the tank. But I must agree I think your problem is fuel line between the tank and the generator. I would replace it first before doing anything else as it should be replaced in any case. I think I would do as suggested above and fill the tank just to be sure. It is also possible you have a weak fuel pump on the generator. In any case check the simple stuff first. But if your luck is like mine it most always turns out to be the most expensive and difficult thing.