RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #1

I changed my oil on the generator today. I opened the drain , and a few drops came out. The oil was at the top of the opening, but the drain just did nothing! I did not have a way to drain the 2 quarts and it took forever to get the oil out. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they got the oil out? I ended up using a clear tube to suck the oil out a small portion at a time. I will not do that again. I have a 2004 Dolphin.

G. SEEFIELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Place RV on a level surface. Run generator until up to operating temperature. Remove fill cap, then remove drain plug. Let oil drain then remove filter if equipped.

This has always worked for me.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
]

Well I'm still trying to figure out how to get the plug loose on mine. I tried calling the local Onan rep. His response was bring it in we'll look at it. I just wanted to know if it was Lefty Loosy or Righty Tighty. I drove over in the car, I thought if I buy the Filters and Spark Plugs from him he would tell me something. He wanted to charge me about double what I could buy them from the Auto Parts Store. But still wouldn't tell me anything. So I sucked the oil out of mine through the place you check the oil, with one of those tools that you put the tube in then pull the handle. I don't know maybe the guy I bought it from used J B Weld.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
jonelsr, I am not sure, but I thought you drained the oil by removing the filter. Right hand threads, "lefty loosy", just be aware you are working upside down and it may seem backwards. Do you use a filter wrench?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Every Onan I have ever had used the standard clockwise to tighten and counter clockwise to loosen everything I ever worked on.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Boy I must have been "Brain Dead" when I made the statement about removing the filter to drain!! Drain mine using the petcock, close the dipstick/fill port.

Fred
Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I warm my up, and drain, using the petcock also. I have never had any problems---450 plus hours on it. Don't forget to clean out the manifold---there is a bolt you rmove and run the Gen for a few minutes.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by rogueii:
Don't forget to clean out the manifold---there is a bolt you rmove and run the Gen for a few minutes.
Exhaust system carbon removal?

Fred
Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #9

YOu can visist this link and download an Onan Operator's Manual which will describe how to change the oil and other things.

Steve
StevePav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by jonelsr:
]

Well I'm still trying to figure out how to get the plug loose on mine. I tried calling the local Onan rep. His response was bring it in we'll look at it. I just wanted to know if it was Lefty Loosy or Righty Tighty. I drove over in the car, I thought if I buy the Filters and Spark Plugs from him he would tell me something. He wanted to charge me about double what I could buy them from the Auto Parts Store. But still wouldn't tell me anything. So I sucked the oil out of mine through the place you check the oil, with one of those tools that you put the tube in then pull the handle. I don't know maybe the guy I bought it from used J B Weld.
There should be a petcock valve for draining the oil and a drain tube below it. Just make sure that the drain tube is clear and hasn't plugged up with sludge, warm up the genny, remove the oil fill cap/dipstick and open the petcock then it should drain just fine. It will drain very slowly if you don't warm up the genny first.

If plugged with sludge in the crankcase consider more frequent oil changes. Always replace the oil filter at every oil change.