Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #1

Over Filling Grey Water Tank

I have been getting bad readings on my grey water tank and I decided to not dump until I was getting a small amount of back up in the shower. After dumping the grey tank, I noticed a small leak in the top of my passenger side forward storage compartment. The water was coming from a tiny white plastic fitting or screw. Has anyone else ever experienced this same problem? I am assuming that this location is not a an overflow location and I should try to plug this with some type of sealant. Also, does anybody have any recommendation on what I should use to seal this hole with? Thanks in advance for any help or inputs.
Sincerely,
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

Only a guess, but I suspect that the leak is from overflow that originated from some other, more remote, location and that you really don't have a need to seal up that area unless you plan on filling the grey tank to overflow level quite often--something, IMO, that would be unwise.

Typically, a grey tank will not have a dedicated overflow port so the leak may have originated at a fitting into the tank, the connection of the drain to the shower pan, or a line to the tank, most likely the shower drain as that is the lowest plumbing into the grey tank.

Again, the above is just speculation as I'm not familiar with your particular model.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #3

We put some Oxy-Clean in the black and gray tanks when we charge them after we dump.... 5 gallons of water in each thank... a cup I think (need to ask the wife)..
When we run down the road the Oxy-Clean does a good job of sloshing around and keeping stuff clean....

When we are on the last day of our trip... we dump in the a.m. and charge the tanks (10 gallons).. than we hit a local dump and are amazed at how dirty the water is that was in the tanks... recharge and park the unit when we get home... we don't use any other chemicals...

I built a small nozzle for a garden hose that sprays water at 90 degrees to the hose end.... we run it down the shower... or toilet and use that once a year at home and let it spray in all directions to flush out the tanks...

Just my thoughts here on what works for us...
Old 12-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
We put some Oxy-Clean in the black and gray tanks when we charge them after we dump.... 5 gallons of water in each thank... a cup I think (need to ask the wife)..
When we run down the road the Oxy-Clean does a good job of sloshing around and keeping stuff clean....

When we are on the last day of our trip... we dump in the a.m. and charge the tanks (10 gallons).. than we hit a local dump and are amazed at how dirty the water is that was in the tanks... recharge and park the unit when we get home... we don't use any other chemicals...

I built a small nozzle for a garden hose that sprays water at 90 degrees to the hose end.... we run it down the shower... or toilet and use that once a year at home and let it spray in all directions to flush out the tanks...

Just my thoughts here on what works for us...
Is that Oxy-Clean powder or liquid?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you decide to plug something...I like JBWeld. About 6 different formulations, pick the one you think appropriate. You might look at A & B pool patch, 2-part epoxy putty.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
dlduck: "After dumping the grey tank, I noticed a small leak in the top of my passenger side forward storage compartment. The water was coming from a tiny white plastic fitting or screw".

Could be the drain for the refrigerator...
Old 12-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #7

Overfilling Grey Water Tank

Thanks for the inputs. I think maybe it could have been from the refrigerator drain as nit is near that location. But I have learned my lesson and I will drain much earlier from now on as I think my grey tank indicator is now working.
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water