RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #1

Pacifica 2008

We will soon be doing a walk through of a 2008 Pacifica PC36A in support of a decision to purchase, if it passes muster. We are new to the MH world and would appreciate any advice as what to look for that would significantly impart a decision to buy. The floor plan is what we are looking for and the maintenance records are available. What factors support a claim of good maintenance? Are there any telltale signs of systems failure or abuse that a physical inspection would reveal? The asking price is within the high and low NADA evaluations. We just want to verify that the actual value of this coach is within the neighborhood of that price. Thanks for all useful advice!

Gordon27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tradewind98
Check everything! Make the slides go in and out, listening for any strange noises. Have the jacks cycled, the satellite system run through its paces. Make sure the water pump works by testing it.
Have a mechanic check it out.
As for maintenance, oil changes on a yearly or sooner interval, air filter changes at 2 or 3 year interval. And check the age of the tires. At 7 years old you should consider new tires.
National made good coaches and if the floor plan fits you that's half the battle.
Good luck.

2013 Mini Cooper Clubman
Tradewind98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hmmm....Gordon27.....could be, but probably not. So, check the "high cost to replace" items by an RV expert.....tires, engine, transmission and the roof condition and any leaks. The rest can be replaced for hundreds, not thousands. The fridge is a "high cost" item, so check that out for proper operation. Are you a CA resident? Rook

98 National Tradewinds 7370, powered by a 3126B 300HP CAT Turbo, Freightliner XC chassis
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought our 2008 Pacifica 40D new and have not had any major problems.

We just bought new tires. Experienced some minor overheating recently which was taken care of with a very thorough radiator steam cleaning. We have done all the annual recommended maintenance.

Have had to replace a motor on a bedroom slide from a cracked housing. Step cover needs a bit of help to come up level.

Really have had no other issues. We LOVE our Pacifica
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Hmmm....Gordon27.....could be, but probably not. So, check the "high cost to replace" items by an RV expert.....tires, engine, transmission and the roof condition and any leaks. The rest can be replaced for hundreds, not thousands. The fridge is a "high cost" item, so check that out for proper operation. Are you a CA resident? Rook
ROOK, private email sent. Use to live in Santa Rosa.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
SLK

We have had our Pacifica 36a for about 1.5 years. I have done a lot of work on it, not because it really needed it. I am a gadget hound and like to upgrade things. You can check out what I've done here: http://www.irv2.com/photopost/member...5461&protype=1 We recently took our first real trip. Except for some mirror issues, the coach performed well. They only built about 50 36a's, so they are a rare beast. I think mine was one of the last and was put together with leftovers. I don't care what you buy, motorhomes require work. If you don't mind the work, go for it. Also mine has the 360hp Cummins. Great engine. PM me if you want to talk on the phone. I'll give you a call. Stephen Krage
Old 07-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #7

Next week we get to examine and drive the 36A Pacifica. I have driven a school bus for a scout troop before but never a MH. I'm looking forward to the experience.

The unit has a Cummings 360 ISC 8.3 Liter engine. I'm curious about what mileage to expect on the freeway at 55 to 60. I've heard good things about this engine and this particular one only has 20,000 miles on it.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gordon,
Did you buy it?
coulter6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulter6 View Post
Gordon,
Did you buy it?
Yup! This weekend we will drive down to Redding, CA from Corvallis, OR to pick it up and drive home. We will be taking it easy and do the trip home in two legs staying at Seven Feathers for a night. I have never driven a MH before and will get a bit of supervised transitional driving in before we hit the road back north.

We drove down last weekend to inspect it and meet with the owners. It's a beauty!! Now we are working on getting a good dinghy that will also act as a second family car. We are leaning toward the Ford Edge AWD. I'm also checking out tow bars, base plates, braking systems, battery tenders, etc.

Now I will have our 2010 30U Northwood Arctic Fox, Silver Fox Edition for sell shortly. It has served us well for 6 years but we are looking forward to many new experiences and adventures in our "new" 36A Pacifica.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
SP UP or BNSF
Bummer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer48 View Post
SP UP or BNSF
????????????????
Old 07-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
SLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer48 View Post
SP UP or BNSF
Since I was the RR engineer, I guess this question is for me. I hired out with SP in 1972. It was fun back then. Now that UP took over, all I have to say is I'm glad I'm retired.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
You are going to love the Pacifica and Seven Feathers is a great RV park. Tom 07 Pacifica
TOM356C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #14

Made it!!

We arrived in Redding, CA Saturday aftetnoon as the temps were hitting 107 degrees. For Oregonians that is wilting weather. When we got up the next morning, Sunday, it was already HOT with the temps headed for 109 that day. Needless to say we wanted to make the transition into the MH ASAP to get out of town headed north ahead of the heat. I rode with the owner for a 15 minute loop drive and then switched seats to repeat the loop myself. I then got familiar with a few of the controls and features and then we were off on Interstate Five. We were going to split the 7 hour trip back to Corvallis by spending the night at Seven Feathers. Instead we filled up the fuel tank that by then had less that a quarter tank left. THAT was a shocker! I felt so good about driving the rig that we decided to just make it home that day. It is actually less stressful that towing our 30 foot trailer with the F350. It now is parked in our driveway, a VERY wide area.

Now the really fun part starts, learning the systems and their proper operation. First is to figure out why, when I turn the left or right turn signals on, the "blind spot" side camera send the picture from the corresponding side but in obverse. The image is flipped, like taking a slide and turning it 180 degrees. I wonder if this is standard, for some reason, or do I have to start tinkering?

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM356C View Post
You are going to love the Pacifica and Seven Feathers is a great RV park. Tom 07 Pacifica