RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Pedestal or MH Power Problem

Currently at Tucson Family Camp and I'm having power problems. My Surge Protector showed a PE-1 code which equates to Prior Error of Reverse Polarity. After testing the pedestal they found one leg only reading 1.01 volts while the other read 121. They changed out the 50amp plug and it seemed to be ok. After a few hours I lost power to the microwave, both TV's and a few of the plugs on one side of the MH including the GFI above bathroom sink. I switched over to the 30amp at the pedestal and it also did the same thing about an hour later. Checking my EMS PT50C it showed a PE-7 code (PE=previous error & 7=high frequency). All this time my PT50C is showing 121v & 3amps on leg 1 and 122v & 5 to 10 amps on leg 2(this one runs the battery charger. With the power off I ran the inverter and had no power problems. I shut down shore power and ran the MH on the Generac 75 for an hour and had no power issues. I even ran the DWs blow dryer from the GFI that controls the plugs and TV's and had no issues. Earlier the DW had been using it when the MH lost the GFI, plugs, and TV's.
I'm thinking the park has a problem with their power at the pedestal. They say it's my MH.

Anyone have this experience with their MH. The inverter xantrax model 81-2022-12(213).

When I lose the power I reset the 30amp fuse that controls the TV's, microwave and the plugs & GFI. Power comes back up, but goes back off after a few mins. Could the GFI be faulty??

Any thoughts out there?????????????? Prior to plugging into the pedestal I was in overflow overnight and was running TV's on the inverter.

sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would say the park has a problem with there wiring your surge protector is pointing to that.
Everything works off your GEN.
Is there another pedestal near you to use?

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
The sites are far apart enough so that my only option would be to use my one neighbors 30amp if my 30amp extension would be long enough. Hopefully he'll be there tomorrow and agree to let me plug in.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Lot of looks, but no one seems to have any suggestions. I think I have eliminated my MH. I plugged into my neighbors 30 amp at 0945 yesterday morning and have not had any problems. Base Civil Engineering checked my pedestal today and their testers show no problem. I'll plug back in tomorrow to my 30amp and see what happens.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Did you tell the base techs that you were tripping on frequency? They may have only checked for voltage and phase.

2006 Dolphin 5355 Future CC owner
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I totally agree with 007!

The RV Park has a problem. Your Progressive Industries EMS unit CLEARLY indicates that information.

ALWAYS trust your EMS unit and NOT the RV Park. Request a different RV site or leave the RV Park and find one that has good power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Yes, I did. Another rv'er behind me that is retired Navy Electrician explained to the two young Airmen that their Supervisors and the lead Electrician have seen this same problem on his pedestal, but his pedestal has quit having the problem.

This morning at 0700 I disconnected from my neighbors 30amp and plugged into mine to see if it would kick off at 0730. It didn't. If I hadn't of kept records and have a witness I would think I am going nuts. I ran on my neighbors 30amp for 48 hrs and no problem. Now will see what happens here. Will change over to the 50amp later today to check it.

Gotta love these surge protectors.

The work order is still open awaiting the Lead Techs return to work tomorrow who has seen this problem before here in the Fam Camp.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I totally agree with 007!

The RV Park has a problem. Your Progressive Industries EMS unit CLEARLY indicates that information.

ALWAYS trust your EMS unit and NOT the RV Park. Request a different RV site or leave the RV Park and find one that has good power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I asked the manager if I leave this site will she shut it down until they fix it. She said no since they show the electric as good. I told her I'll stay since someone else may not have an EMS and their rv could be damaged. As long as I can plug in next door I'm good.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
The best way to settle the argument is testing apart from your PI. One good source of how to do it cheaply http://www.myrv.us/electric/pg/testing.htm One page is how to test the pedestal under load. I think this is clearly under the trust but verify.
Shadowcatche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I'm going to request that they perform a load test. This may be the problem. I'm also going to build me one of these testers.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
The best way to settle the argument is testing apart from your PI. One good source of how to do it cheaply Electrical Testing One page is how to test the pedestal under load. I think this is clearly under the trust but verify.
That is a very good web site with good info and tools to make for testing the power pedestal. I have a hardwired Progressive 50 AMP EMS in my MH that I rely on when connecting to the pedestal. However, I'm going to make the tester for my MH. I had to copy and paste the web page address in my browser. At first I got "web site not found" looking at the address the browser added some symbols to the address after the .htm. If you get the same error check the address just delete anything after .htm.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
HIGH frequency on shore power should be impossible. The shore power is 60 hz +/- a very narrow range (However they did recently "Open" that range up a bit) I think the Surge Protector has a wider window than that.

TO check frequency.. A Kill-a-watt meter is .. Well about a kilo-buck worth of meters in a 20 dollar (or less) Box. one of the meters is FREQUENCY. (Hz) I've seen 59-61 on shore power, Wider swings on Onan power. 60 only on TSW inverter power.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Those homemade testers are great to check polarity, open ground and neutral plus whether the 50 amp shore power is a "fake" or not. However, it cannot perform a load test. That's the job of your RV and it does that quite well when you hook up to shore power. You should have either the A/C's or the heaters on to give it a good load.

The Progressive Industries EMS unit will take over once your RV is tethered to shore power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
HIGH frequency on shore power should be impossible. The shore power is 60 hz +/- a very narrow range (However they did recently "Open" that range up a bit) I think the Surge Protector has a wider window than that.
I had the High Frequency show up on my EMS 3 times, it was around 0730 each morning. Power went off and then came back on. Each time my EMS PT50c showed a PE-7 code, which is previous error of high frequency.

So, what does this mean? Currently plugged back into my 50amp for the past few hours, so far, so good. BTW, another person behind me had the same code on his EMS back in Dec. They never found anything and it went away.

I really hate these kind of situations where there is no solution. This was a contracted job on the Air Force Base, the Contractor's name was F and F, can't help but wonder what that stands for. LOL Gotta have a sense of humor.

Tags
power