RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #1

I cannot the locate the fuse panel for the Power Gear levelers. According to the instruction book there is a panel with 4 fuses. This is on a 2002 Tradewinds LTC. I have checked all bays, electrical access panels etc. and no luck.
What prompted this search is, Power to dash mounted control panel comes on, but nothing happens when buttons are pushed to lower the jacks. I am sure that if I call Power Gear, they will ask me if I have checked the fuses. Fluid level full , worked fine last time used.
On a related note, I noticed ( this coach is fairly new to me) that the two rear jacks do not have return springs on them. The diagram in the owners manual shows springs for all 4 jacks. The sand shoes do not have hooks for the springs to hook up to. The front jacks have springs. Unusual or just the way it is?
Thanks for any help.

In the market for a Class C.
ecp3031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 AM   #2

I cannot the locate the fuse panel for the Power Gear levelers. According to the instruction book there is a panel with 4 fuses. This is on a 2002 Tradewinds LTC. I have checked all bays, electrical access panels etc. and no luck.
What prompted this search is, Power to dash mounted control panel comes on, but nothing happens when buttons are pushed to lower the jacks. I am sure that if I call Power Gear, they will ask me if I have checked the fuses. Fluid level full , worked fine last time used.
On a related note, I noticed ( this coach is fairly new to me) that the two rear jacks do not have return springs on them. The diagram in the owners manual shows springs for all 4 jacks. The sand shoes do not have hooks for the springs to hook up to. The front jacks have springs. Unusual or just the way it is?
Thanks for any help.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The rear levelers have internal return springs.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #4

Eric,
Hello and sorry to hear about your problem. I have a 06 Seabreeze 1321 and had the same problem several weeks ago. My problem was that the solenoid was bad. Locate the jack motor and you will see a solenoid that looks like the old Ford Pick up solenoids that were mounted on the fender wall. Take a screw driver two the top of the two posts and touch them together, this bypasses the solenoid. If the motor turns on this is your problem. I called Power Gear and they do sell on for around $70, however I work at an auto parts store so I just picked one up from there for around $15. Good Luck and let me know what happens!

Thanks,
John
JohnM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:51 AM   #5

Checked relay( mounted on side of jack motor) - no voltage to either terminal - motor running, trans. in neutral, brake set, power light on (on the dash control panel). Still no luck finding the fuse panel.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #6

I guess it is not an easy fix like mine was! It just does not make sense that the control panel has power but it is not making it to the jack motor! You would think if the fuse was blown the control panel lights would not come on. Try calling PowerGear they will be able to give you some ideas, they are very helpful.
JohnM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ecp3031:
Checked relay( mounted on side of jack motor) - no voltage to either terminal - motor running, trans. in neutral, brake set, power light on (on the dash control panel). Still no luck finding the fuse panel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There's not much to offer on my 12v diagram, although it does show the jack motor, but when I look at the unit itself, there's an inline fuse in a weatherproof rubber case which is fed from the large pos+ cable attached to the solenoid that is bolted to the side of the pump motor. This fuse is hanging under another smaller solenoid (looks like a valve control type) which is located under 3 red relays attached to the front side of the pump motor. The pump motor itself is bolted to the top of the fluid reservoir or vice/versa... and the whole package is one long cylinder, mounted vertically on the drivers side and in front of the radiator. My coach is 4 years older than yours, so your mileage may vary.
Going back to the solenoid with the large wire. If there's no power there, then I would think that there's a circuit breaker tripped somewhere and probably on or near your DC circuit board.... and probably in one of your basement compartments.
Hope this helps!
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:00 PM   #8

SOLVED BOTH PROBLEMS!!!!
Fuse panel located behind panel next to drivers left leg. Basically below shifter panel. Took off jack control panel, shined flashlight through hole and there it was. All fuses ok connections tight.
Now as to why the jacks didn't work. Had coach running, power to panel as evidenced by led, but did not have house batterys turned on.Turned them on just on a hunch and pushed button - down went the Jacks. Why they need to be on is beyond me as this seems to be a chassis related issue. But as I learn more and more about this coach , I find the electrical system may have been built on a Monday. Or is it that way in all brands?
Thanks to John and Richard for their responses. Perhaps I can return the favor someday.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:13 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ecp3031:
SOLVED BOTH PROBLEMS!!!!
Fuse panel located behind panel next to drivers left leg. Basically below shifter panel. Took off jack control panel, shined flashlight through hole and there it was. All fuses ok connections tight.
Now as to why the jacks didn't work. Had coach running, power to panel as evidenced by led, but did not have house batterys turned on.Turned them on just on a hunch and pushed button - down went the Jacks. Why they need to be on is beyond me as this seems to be a chassis related issue. But as I learn more and more about this coach , I find the electrical system may have been built on a Monday. Or is it that way in all brands?
Thanks to John and Richard for their responses. Perhaps I can return the favor someday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The jack levelers work off of the coach batteries and most of the newer National rigs feed off the battery output and the converter charger feeds the batteries. The jack control panel itself, is fed from the chassis battery through the ignition switch and if its like mine, the jacks will retract as soon as you try and start the engine. If your battery switch was off, then there was a lot of 12v power missing from inside the coach, which should have been your first clue. The good news is that while you're looking all over for something simple, you learn a lot of other things. I was into my fridge wiring once, before realizing that my battery switch was off also. I didn't even bother to look, even though there was a 3 yr. old on board with a severe case of fingeritis....which should have been my first clue.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:43 PM   #10

Thanks for your reply Tropical36. The reason I did not notice missing 12v power is that this occured at my house and I was only moving the coach about 20 feet for some access for some landscapers.If I had been on the road or camped out , the switch would have been thrown and and not had this issue.
My jacks do not retract until "retract all" switch is pushed .I normally start the engine, switch on power at dash switch and then push " retract all" switch. Then and only then do the jacks retract.Not as soon as engine starts. What if I just wanted to start the engine to check the battery state - wouldn't want the jacks going up til I was ready for them to. I also believe that the slides should be in before raising the jacks. I guess you can put them in on just battery power, but I prefer the control rather having them go up by themselves.
Thanks again for your response. This forum is a great resource for us "orphans" of the National closure.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:44 AM   #11

"The electrical system...built on a Monday". Funny. And it seems that way sometimes. Just be glad it wasn't built on a Friday!

Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason for ANY motorhome to be wired up the way it is. And THAT is the way it is.

We have to learn by doing and exploring. Some fun, eh?
jerseyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:27 AM   #12

Thanks for your reply Tropical36. The reason I did not notice missing 12v power is that this occured at my house and I was only moving the coach about 20 feet for some access for some landscapers.If I had been on the road or camped out , the switch would have been thrown and and not had this issue.
My jacks do not retract until "retract all" switch is pushed .I normally start the engine, switch on power at dash switch and then push " retract all" switch. Then and only then do the jacks retract.Not as soon as engine starts. What if I just wanted to start the engine to check the battery state - wouldn't want the jacks going up til I was ready for them to. I also believe that the slides should be in before raising the jacks. I guess you can put them in on just battery power, but I prefer the control rather having them go up by themselves.
Thanks again for your response. This forum is a great resource for us "orphans" of the National closure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You're right, and I think they did that because of all the skid marks you see at many campgrounds, especially where all the sites are finished in blacktop and/or concrete. It also works for me, since starting the engine is the last thing I do before pouring my travel coffee, so many times, I don't even get in the drivers seat to start it up, and by the time I'm ready, the engine has warmed a bit, and the jack alarm and red warning light has quit.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #13

The jacks will not raise when you start the engine. But, if you start the engine, and engage the transmission, they will raise. A feauture that is a safety.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #14

As I said, my jacks retract as soon as you turn the ignition to the start position or start your engine and retract completely while still in the park position.