RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Power Gear Leveling Jack Motor!

Today I was making the last checks before leaving on our western trip and discovered that my leveling jacks weren't working, did all the diagnostics and found that the pump motor was froze/rusted up, not sure how water got into it but it did. Found the correct motor at Amazon and it's on it way. What a pain it was to get apart, sprayed a bunch of penetrating in the motor and after awhile I was able to beat it apart from the pump and it took even more beating to get the motor itself apart. I never would have thought that water would have gotten in the motor to rust it up so bad, something that may have to go on the maintenance list.
The pictures show what a mess it was, most of the liquid is penetrating oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8779.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	213185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8781.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	213186  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8782.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	213187   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8784.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	213188  

legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #2

Power Gear Leveling Jack Motor!

I just recently replaced mine also and it was even worse than yours! I could not believe how bad the inside of the old motor had corroded and the amount of sludge that accumulated on the base where the motor attached to the pump. I am wondering now if I need to come up with some way to cover or protect the new motor from exposure to rain and moisture. I would definitely not want to go thru this process again. Has anyone else experienced this same problem and have you had to devise a method of protecting the motor from exposure?
Thanks,

Dave

dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #3

I just use high-temp(red) RTV top and bottom. No problems.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyThomson View Post
I just use high-temp(red) RTV top and bottom. No problems.
X2 Tommy!

We use to own a 2000 SeaView and this happened to me. Motor was junk after about 6 years. It happened because NRV decided to put the Power Gear leveling setup in the front grill of the coach. This caused the setup to get beat up by everything coming at it, water, dirt.....anything.

When I pulled the setup apart it was suggested to me, by Power Gear, to close and seal everything up with RTV during reassembly. Never had a problem with the Power Gear setup during the remaining 10yrs that we owned the coach.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine sounded like a food blender full of marbles..

When I took it apart, it wasn't as bad as your, but the front bearing was shot. Thats why it sounded so bad..

Leveler pump sounds like a food blender full of marbles – 1999 Southwind 35S

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #6

I'm going through the same thing with mine and was wondering how you got the motor off from the pump. Where did you spray the penetrating oil? I've tried to get it between the motor and the pump but not much clearance. I've tried to pry it apart but it doesn't move much.
dave186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186 View Post
I'm going through the same thing with mine and was wondering how you got the motor off from the pump. Where did you spray the penetrating oil? I've tried to get it between the motor and the pump but not much clearance. I've tried to pry it apart but it doesn't move much.
I made it easy for myself. Drained all fluid out of the reservoir and drop the whole assembly and worked on it on my bench. Disassembled the whole thing. Pulled motor, solenoid, and pump planetary gears apart. Put in new motor and cleaned and sealed it all up, then put it back in the MH.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave186 View Post

I took the cover off the top and sprayed the penetrating oil in the two small holes, let it soak and sprayed a number of times more. I tapped the top cover and also the case until it started moving, got it up enough to get a small pry bar under the bottom part of the case until I could get it apart. As you can see by the pictures the motor was shot , ordered a new one and all is good now, works like new.
This happened a couple of days before we were to leave on a extended trip so I didn’t have time do seal it in any way so I may take it back apart when I return home and seal it with some silicone.
I did reply on your thread about your problem and to check if your motor was seized by pulling that small cover on the top of the motor case.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a peanut butter jar lid and glue it to the top of the motor to keep water out of the bearing.

John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, power, power gear