Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Looking for other owners of 2001 TradeWinds, model 7390 not LTC's. National had a bit of a problem with the location they mounted the Power Gear Levelers pump and tank. It received a lot of vibration, at times enough to cause it to fall off. The reservoir tank on mine finally fell off. So I'm looking for pictures of what the National furnished mod kits for my 2001 7390 (not the LTC) look like so I can fix it. I saw some on other year models, but the gap between my frame and theirs was a lot less. That's why I'm looking for year and model specific.
Just found out about this forum, love it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Looking for other owners of 2001 TradeWinds, model 7390 not LTC's. National had a bit of a problem with the location they mounted the Power Gear Levelers pump and tank. It received a lot of vibration, at times enough to cause it to fall off. The reservoir tank on mine finally fell off. So I'm looking for pictures of what the National furnished mod kits for my 2001 7390 (not the LTC) look like so I can fix it. I saw some on other year models, but the gap between my frame and theirs was a lot less. That's why I'm looking for year and model specific.
Just found out about this forum, love it.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum Sarge, lots of good people and good information here. Don't be afraid to jump in with questions, we've all had them. You need to post more info on your rig, and holler for some Karma. Somebody will fix you up. And again, welcome.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for the Welcome Bill. I hollered for Karma.
Let me add to the OP. This problem only applies to the TradeWinds from National. When you experienced the problem National sent a mod kit to secure the Reservoir to prevent the vibration.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:38 AM   #5

Joe,
I have a 99 Tradewinds. Mine fell off also somewhere between here and Shreveport, LA. National didn't believe it at first, but they came around. The fix is a short piece of 3/4 box metal cut on a 45 deg on each end. Drill holes in each end. Use self tapping screws and mount it to the metal behind the resevoir. A screw clamp then around the resevoir and thru the box metal. They replaced mine after it fell off. The one they sent me cracked, and then they sent me the reinforcement fix. They also sent me another resevoir. I brazed the crack on the old one and still have it out in my workshop. Have a friend that also owns a 99. His just fell off. The price on the resevoir from Power Gear is about $500. On edit, when the new resevoir is installed, use blue Loctite on the threads of the four screws. Also, the bracket that holds the assembly is weak. Mine failed and also my friend, LBrandt. A piece of 3/8 metal, welded to the bracket, bolt holes drilled and reinstalled, makes a strong bracket.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:37 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Hesaskip,
Thanks for the response and the info on the mod kit, but that one won't work on mine. Where your 3/4" box metal goes, mine is only about 1/8". I don't know if this one has had some sort of mod done on it before. That's why I'm looking for identical coach. All I've found are 2001 LTC's. I'm hoping to find someone on the forum who has a 2001 TradeWinds 7390 with the CAT 300.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 AM   #7

Joe, I've been out bushhogging and just came in. You do have a small space. Larry Brandt used spray foam behind his and then put a band all the way round the bracket and resevoir. Works as good as the one they would have sent. All that matters is that it doesn't vibrate.

Jerry
Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Jerry
That sounds workable. What did he use for a band? I don't think they make a clamp that big.
Joe
Old 05-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #9

Joe, if I remember correctly, he put a couple of screw clamps together and made one. I looked at it with him in USI CG in Wichita. I think we were discussing the foam more than the band but I believe thats what it was. He cut the excess foam away with a sharp knife.

Jerry
Old 05-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Jerry, I'll hit Lowes tomorrow and try it out. Funny thing, I was cleaning the garage out the other day and found a can of foam, now I know what to do with it. The Tank was 386.00 and the parts guy said to use Red Lock tite, If I ever wanted to remove tank I would have to heat the screws up. So, I'm going with blue.
Love this forum set up, couldn't get an answer on the GS forum. Appreciate the help. Hope to see you down the road some day.
Joe
Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Thanks Jerry
With the info you gave me it is now secured. I used one large (7") hose clamp and metal plumbers tape over the top of the pump, looped and bolted on each side of the reservoir around the clamp. I used the foam to take up the dead space on the back and that should do the trick. I'll keep an eye on it as I travel.
Joe
Old 06-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #12

Good Joe,
Now that you mentioned the plumbers metal, I believe Larry had a piece of that on his. Glad you got it secure. I'm in a big project right now. Removed the carpet in the bath and installing vinyl tile. I have the subfloor installed. The original had so many staples in it, I got tired of trying to pull them. LOL Will lay the tile today.

Jerry