Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

Power Seat Problem

I have a 2000 Tradewinds 7371 with 6-way power driver's seat. The plastic part (pictured) where the incoming wires terminate is broken. This broken plastic part is the "female" part which connects to the "male" back side of the seat controller (pictured). All I really need to replace, I think, is that broken part on end of the wire harness. Next best case I replace the wire harness with the unbroken plastic part and just plug into the seat controller. Next case, replace harness and seat controller. My problem is I have searched high and low, including salvage yards, to no avail. I am told that the harness and controller are Ford parts....Ford is no help. Last possibility, maybe I find ANY 6-way harness and seat control (assuming any of them would work) and wire them into my incoming wiring from the power source. The only problem there is that I'd have to make the new seat controller fit where the old one was.

I'm wondering if anyone know if my seat is by Flexsteel? I'm told that is likely. I sent an email to Flexsteel and am waiting for a reply.

On MOnday I'll start contacting larger salvage yards, online to see if they have exactly what I am replacing.

Any thought appreciated!

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-12 11.13.35.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	97155   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-06-12 11.13.42.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	97156  

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken part.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	97157  
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #2

Jim, from your description , I'm having trouble , deciding which picture shows the damage.
Is the bezel broken out around the tapered mounting hole , the problem ?
The switch works but won't attach properly to the seat?
Or is your problem the lock tabs on the back side of the switch are broken the multi wire connector won't stay attached to the switch?

If this is a Ford part , you could limit your search to vehicles in the 1995>99 range, unusual for the part not to have numbers or at least the Ford oval.

Edit: Flexsteel , nameplate is usually on the arm rest, I'll have a look at my switches today and see if there is any indication of the supply company.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Skip, the broken piece is the gray one. The wires go into the rear (not pictured) and that is where the break is.....at least one wire cannot be secured into the back of that piece. It is NOT the locking tabs but that piece must go! Salvage yard people tell me it is NOT unusual that there is no Ford logo or part # however on the rear of that shiny silver plastic control piece is the lettering "ABS" and a number. That means nothing apparently.

That silver piece is cracked at the screw holes where it mounts to the seat. If I don't get another of these, I think I can repair and make this one work. The part I really need is that gray one and I'll pay for a wire harness which already has a good one on it.

Is that clearer for you?

Jim
Old 06-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take a look at link below

Flexsteel Seat Parts, RV Seat parts, RV Furniture Parts, Marine Furniture Parts, Motorhome chair parts, RV Chair Parts, rv captains chair parts, flexsteel rv seating parts, villa rv seating parts,
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:44 PM   #5

I got curious and pulled my switch and bezel assembly.

Switch has an; Eaton logo and P/N 20702837 with 0279 also engraved in the side of the plastic.
Bezel number 2061 8898 but you said that was a no go for tracking.
No identifying marking, anywhere on the wiring harness.
Please post if you manage to track anything down , never know if someday the information might come in handy for myself or other members.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #6

Skip can you please do me a favor? Two actually. Post a picture of your controller and measure the length of your controller. I wonder if it looks like mine and whether the controller will fit closely where mine mounts. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #7

Controller ? Are you referring to the 6 way power switch ?
From your pictures , I'd say they are identical.
The link Richard posted shows the switch being used from 1996 to present production, on Flexsteel seats.
I haven't re-installed the part, and will post a picture later.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #8

I just called the people I mentioned. They have the controller only and not the wire harness or the plastic that I really need. *&#^ !!!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #9

Can you post a picture of broken plastic , maybe I can suggest a repair.
You could call the 800 number in Richard's post and see if the harness is available without purchasing the whole power mechanism.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:50 AM   #10

Already spoke with the people at Richard's link. They only sell the switch....not the harness or that broken part. My coach is not at my home and I don't have a picture of the BACK of the broken part. My 3rd pic shows that piece but from the front. It has a crack running thru the area where the wires terminate. The main lead and one other adjacent to it (black wire for what that's worth) have metal tabs on them but the tabs will not stay anchored in the slots where they belong. Any tension on the wires causes them to pull free when that crack flexes. Have tried to manipulate/crimp those slots. Don't see a fix for that piece. Flexsteel is looking at my pics to make sure my parts are what they use. If they are, I suspect they will put me in touch with a retailer as they do not sell direct.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #11

DONE. Though it turns out my seat is not a Flexsteel brand, their parts will work. I worked with Colleen at Flexsteel and Lorin at "Recovery Room" in CA and just receieved the wiring harness and new switch. $100 incl s&h. Both these folks were very helpful!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #12

Thanks for wrapping up your post, glad you're fixed up and that it didn't cost you your first born.

Tags
power