Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:26 AM   #1

power switch from shore to battery

when my 2000 sea view 8340 is plugged in to shore power the tv work but when I unplug power they dont .the battery connect is activated the lights work but the micro wont light up either, any suggestions ,i also started the generater no luck either. I did replace the power distribution center

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
YC1

Check in the compartment where the shore power cord lives and see if there is an outlet it will fit into. If you see one then plug it in and start the generator. There is a chance you have a changeover switch, either mechanical or automatic but I am not familiar with your model.

Without generator power, shoreline power, or a large inverter driven by batteries you will not have 110 volts to run the micro or the tv.

The power distrubution center should be there to route power, both ac and dc in many cases.

Invisi Brake, Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your Seaview didn't come with an inverter, but was an option to run the front TV off the batteries. So not clear if you have one.

Putting that aside, the shore power cord has to be plugged into the generator in order to have 110v. That recepticle is in the bay the power cord is. Just plug it in and start generator. Let us know how you make out.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most all RV's come with a box called a CONVERTER, this converts 120vac from the shore (Or generator if so equipped) to 12 volts or something close to charge the batteries and run lights and such.. IT DOES NOT run any 120 volt stuff such as the stuff you say does not work without shore power.

OPTIONAL is an INVERTER... In my case a Prosine 2.0, this does the "INVERSE" of a converter (logically) it converts 12vdc to 120vac (well about in both cases).

NOT all RV's have one, however it's a simple add on.

Now, we come to choices..

Do you want to run the TV, or do you want to also power the microwave.

TV likely only needs a few hundred watts, Microwave over a thousand. For this reason I have a 2,000 watt inverter. It runs the microwave, the TV's and the outlets in the bath and kitchen (And patio, the GFCI loop).

So the first choice is "How big"

I should also point out that bigger inverters need more battery.. MINE likes 2 pair of golf car batteries (over 400 amp hours of battery).

The next is MSW or TSW. (Modified or True sine wave)

There is a long list of "Things that MIGHT not work properly or as well on MSW inverters" Included on this list are Microwaves, TV"s (All radio gear) clocks electric blankets, night lights and a host of other things .(LED night lights only).

No such list exists for True Sine wave,, Thus I recommend True Sine Wave inverters.

IF you don't feel comfortable doing your own wiring.... Your dealer can install.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

shore power

I was talking to my wife today and said the cord you use to connect to the shore power has to go somewhere . Thanks for the comments i will look for recepticle in that area.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by reagle210 View Post
I was talking to my wife today and said the cord you use to connect to the shore power has to go somewhere . Thanks for the comments i will look for recepticle in that area.
Hire out your wife!!! She is right on, you don't have a auto transfer switrch, so you have to plugin the power cord into a receptacle, probably in the same bay the cord is stored in, to receive generator power.

Good Luck

fred
Fred and Bonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And after you plug in the power cord don't forget to make sure the breakers on the generator are on, if not the gen will run but not put out anything until the breakers are turned on.

jclarkfork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power