Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Propane Extend a Stay Adaptor

This device allows you to attach an external propane tank to your rig and aviod leaving your space to fill your primary propane tank. I viewed a video online that showed how simple it was to make this adaptor fit. When I looked at my propane system I discovered a flow regulator sitting within 2 inches of the valve I need to attach the extend a stay device to. If the regulator wasn't there this attachment would be simple. Any suggestions? I have a 2002 Dolphin 5342.
wmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaier View Post
When I looked at my propane system I discovered a flow regulator sitting within 2 inches of the valve I need to attach the extend a stay device to. If the regulator wasn't there this attachment would be simple. Any suggestions? I have a 2002 Dolphin 5342.
How about posting a photo of what you are dealing with then we could make some accurate suggestions. Unless there is someone that owns the very same rig.

I have installed this unit on one rig, a 1992 Airstream MH with no problems and it was a very simple install. Without knowing or seeing exactly what you have to start with it will be difficult to suggest how to get it installed on your rig.

I also live in Santa Clarita at Valencia Travel Village and would be happy to come over and help you with solving this problem. Although it is raining cats & dogs right now. Well not really but my Golden Retriever doens't like going out in this rain.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the reply and offer to assist. I keep my rig in Kernville, CA. I have some pictures on file I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #4

It wasn't a problem on my 2003 5342. Just disconnect the regulaor from the tank valve and move it forward enough to insert the extend a stay between the regulator and the tank valve. I recall that I did have to detach the regulator cover from the tank structure. It will ride nicely in the loose position.

Bob, wa7hra
Old 01-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Picture of Propane area

Here is a picture of the propane tank storage area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane.jpg
Views:	2224
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	2418  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wayne,
Your pictures look just like my coach setup. All I did was disconnect the line from the tank valve. Move the regulator to the right enough for the extend a stay. Reconnect everything. Go to Extend A Stay Added To Coach Propane System - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery to see a picture.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #7

Mine looks just like yours and I have installed three extend-a-stays for myself and friends. Remove the cover over the regulator and install the tee adapter. That will move the regulator a few inches to the right and it is on a flexible line so that is not a problem. Then slip the cover back over the regulator and mark a couple of holes on the plastic regulator cover to line up with the holes/slots on the metal tank extension. Remount the cover there.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pretty similar to mine. Here's some pics that might help: http://photobucket.com/propane_tee
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't need the extend a stay. All I do is take the propane fitting from the tank and attach it to a portable tank.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many thanks for all the feedback. I will add this to my list of things to do.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:12 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I like the Extend-a-stay.. It not only lets me use the portable to provide to the motor home. It lets me use the Motor Home tank to provide for the grill

I simply turned off the gas valve on the tank (CLOSE VALVE) then using a standard tank wrench (or cresent) Removed the POL connector as I normally would have back in the days when all the tanks had POL which by the way means Prest-O-Lite not Put on left but. hey it's a left hand thread

Then I inserted the Extend-a-stay's POL male into the tank valve and tightened it down.. Then put the regulator's POL into the Extend-a-stay

There is no flow regulator on my system (Well there was not at the time, there is now) there is only a pressure regulator

Now in the Extend-a-stay there is a FLOW regulator. This will not control pressure (you need a pressure regulator) but if there is excess flow it shuts, cutting off the propane flow.

I suspect you meant "There is a pressure regulator" when you said "Flow"

There was enough room to move the pressure regulator on my rig.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #12

Glad to find this topic. I have found a T adapter, but I'm having trouble locating the correct fittings for a hose to my 100lb tank, also when using the T, is it possible for propane to backflow into the main tank if its empty(and valve open)

Thanks
fordcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcougar View Post
Glad to find this topic. I have found a T adapter, but I'm having trouble locating the correct fittings for a hose to my 100lb tank, also when using the T, is it possible for propane to backflow into the main tank if its empty(and valve open)

Thanks
LP is a liquid under pressure until it is released which then turns into a volatile gas. The 100 lb tank will not fill the main tank except for a little bit of LP gas fumes. In order to fill the main tank with LP that would have any useful purpose, liquid propane would have to be pumped into the tank.

The T adapter fittings are available at any Camping World or other RV supply vendors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
Pretty similar to mine. Here's some pics that might help: http://photobucket.com/propane_tee
THat is identical to mine.. Under the plastic "hood" is the pressure (NOT FLOW) regulator, To add the extend-a-stay you turn off the gas valve, Remove the fitting that is screwed into the valve goign to the right (you will have to un-bolt the plastic cover) and move everything to the right..

Screw in the Adapter and tighten it down, Screw the original POL fitting into the adapter

NOTE: THat fitting has LEFT HAND THREADS

You will need to figure out how to secure the plastic cover over the regulator. (may need to drill a new hole)

Actually the plastic cover is not all that important but I did re-install mine and suggest you do as well.