Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #1

Question RBW Bedroom Slide Mech.-Repair or Replace?

I have read all the threads regarding the bronze worm gear failure on the bedroom slide gear box. One forum member got the new direct drive replacement unit but had a motor failure. Another did a rebuild on his existing gear box. I don't know if it is cost effective to take the old unit into a machine shop with new steel gears and have some custom fab work done? I could probably remove and replace, but don't have the equipment or knowledge to do a rebuild.

I would like to hear some more feedback from others who have either replaced with the new type mechanism, or done a repair. I expect to have to make a preventative fix soon because that cross worm gear is really wearing down.

More experiences? Opinions? Feedback? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #2

An update to my bedroom slide drive adventures. A recap from my previous posts (do a search for "slide" on the NRV forum to get a lot of experiences).
1. Original slide drive with right angle bronze worm gear failed-gear teeth wore and broke.
2. Replacement direct drive failed-motor wouldn't give enough power.
3. Now on third setup with replacement motor. Working OK

This post describes some of my and other's problems including links to speed racer's post, who rebuilt his drive.

I saved and did rebuild my original right angle worm gear drive unit using a $48 Martin gear. A friend did the machining which amounted to enlarging the shaft bore and drilling a cross hole for the roll pin. The replacement gear is iron vs. bronze. Here is a picture of the reassembled unit. I now have a replacement unit and it wasn't too hard to do. If only I had known and done this sooner, maybe I would have a couple thousand extra $$ on hand now.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two2go, another idea.. If the gears are wearing down is it because the box is harder to push out that it should be? Just my experience on a bedroom slide. The nylon blocks that it slides on were wearing down. It was squealing as it moved, and marking the underside of the box. I lubed the blocks with silicone, waxed the box with Mothers Carnuba and am still using the slide. I plan to replace the blocks but have not attempted that yet
Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Two2go, another idea.. If the gears are wearing down is it because the box is harder to push out that it should be? Just my experience on a bedroom slide. The nylon blocks that it slides on were wearing down. It was squealing as it moved, and marking the underside of the box. I lubed the blocks with silicone, waxed the box with Mothers Carnuba and am still using the slide. I plan to replace the blocks but have not attempted that yet
My slide moves on a pair of rollers. No blocks.