RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #1

Really! Headlights maybe upside down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1483058390.295531.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	147770

Is it possible that my head lights got installed upside down on 2007 TropiCal? I'm driving last night and the brights get brighter but closer to the coach, not down range like you'd think. I think it's possible the left is on the right side and the right ones on the left.

Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Anything is possible with RV manufactures. Pull up close to a light colored wall and see what you think they are doing. Google headlight aiming and adj and or swap them.

rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

The aiming nubs look correct. I don't know if they are ALWAYS two on the bottom, one on top, but that's all I've ever seen.

Maybe the high and low beams are wired backwards? Just looks brighter when it's aimed at the ground?

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:36 AM   #4

rgvtexan, that's sure the truth that anything's possible.

theronne, Thanks, I'm glad you saw that because figured those nobs were on there for a reason.

What if I switched up the bulbs, wiring and all?

Robby
Old 12-30-2016, 06:45 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
There should be writing on the outside of the lens.
Is that writing upside down or right side up?
Old 12-30-2016, 06:58 AM   #6

Start with the wall test. You will learn a lot about what is happening. If someone switched the high/low wiring it should be apparent and easy to fix. Worst case you cut and crimp a couple of wires. Best case you pull them off a terminal block and plug them in the other way.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #7

Might also keep an eye out for a '99 - '02 Silverado (and similar Tahoe/Suburban and GMC twins). Probabaly a different brand then the OEM headlights, but should look the same as far as right side up / upside down.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others have suggested, Multiple mistakes are possible...
Two options

one is a reflective wall.. I've used the side of a buliding or store windows at night when teh store is dark A garage door is great (if it's white)

OR a Foggy Morning so you can see the beam in the fog

Then you can tell if your HI and LOW beams are inverted.

Trivia: in the old single light on each sidew days. High beams which we call BRIGHT were often around 36 watts.. LOW beams, which we call DIM, 50+ watts...... Do we have Bright and Dim backwards?

Today .. it varies ... A lot.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most headlights have some sort of numbers and/or lettering on them, I'm pretty sure they should be right side up.
legryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

As others have said, check the numbering on the outside of the headlight lense, google it and that should tell you what vehicle it is for and whether it is a right or left side headlight.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
The 2005 Dolphin uses the same Chevy pick-up front lights. I found our previous 05 were very badly set up from the factory. In fact, I had to re-mount both headlight assemblies in the RV front cap headlight openings so they had room to be adjusted up/down/left right. It seemed the factory just screw mounted them onto place on the back side of the fiberglass front cap without doing any alignment.
I think the shape of the headlight "sockets" in the front cap would not allow them to be mounted upside down, but not 100% sure of this.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:36 AM   #12

It's also worth noting that the national news ran a story few months ago where they tested a group of automobile headlight assemblies. It seems that in the old round bulb days the bulbs had well designed reflectors and lenses to create a good light path. When they changed the law to allow the custom head lamp assemblies they did not provide for testing the assemblies to make sure they work as well as the round bulbs. It seems that most do not. Some of the worst are the high end models where form over rode function to get a "pleasing look" instead of operational headlights.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #13

The wall test showed the headlight pattern goes down when the high beams come one. The high beam lenses are clear and the low beam lens are diffused and I believe that would be correct so switching the bulbs and plugs would not correct the problem. There is some molded lettering and it is right side up, however they have to be upside down and tderonne posted a picture that would confirm that.

Thanks everyone. I can always count on this forum for great responses.

Robby

PS, not a hard fix but it'll have to wait as I'm leaving for 2,200 mile trip tomorrow.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:07 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Have to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
The aiming nubs look correct. I don't know if they are ALWAYS two on the bottom, one on top, but that's all I've ever seen.

Maybe the high and low beams are wired backwards? Just looks brighter when it's aimed at the ground?
Agree here, having used old Hoppy Aiming sets, if I recall correctly the adapters for the aerodynamic lights have two nubs on bottom and one on top. Not absolutely positive, but believe it true.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights