RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Rear TV power

I've tried for weeks now to figure out why the outlet for the rear bedroom TV won't power up on my inverter. No luck. It works fine on the generator or shore power. Just not the inverter.

So I'm contemplating putting in a new outlet in back there and running the wiring back up front and plugging it into the inverter. My question is, has anyone else done this? Does anyone have a good method of running the wires all the way back to the front from the rear bedroom?

Thanks.
Denny

ctusdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your inverter is only wired to 3 or 4 outlets not all of them.

Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
Your inverter is only wired to 3 or 4 outlets not all of them.
Sure, I realize that. However, from what I understand, the inverter should power the front TV (which it does), the front outlets down by the passenger foot area (mine does not), and the rear TV (mine does not). I know something isn't right, but I've tried and tested everything to get the others to work, but no success. So the above plan is my alternative to spending $$$ on electrical work to fix it.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:16 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctusdenny View Post
I've tried for weeks now to figure out why the outlet for the rear bedroom TV won't power up on my inverter. No luck. It works fine on the generator or shore power. Just not the inverter.

So I'm contemplating putting in a new outlet in back there and running the wiring back up front and plugging it into the inverter. My question is, has anyone else done this? Does anyone have a good method of running the wires all the way back to the front from the rear bedroom?

Thanks.
Denny
If you can't find a place to tap in on that circuit and need to run a new one from your inverter, you might try what I did when installing my inverter, as our rig never had one. I used armoured cable and ran back through the basement until I found a good place to drill up and into the area under the fridge and other things. I then continued back towards the hall and removed some drawers in the back. Here, I installed a dedicated outlet near the floor and in the back hall area, so as to easily reach it with an ext. cord that's pretty well hidden when in use, as the TV compartment is just around the corner from the sliding door to the BR. Now getting this to the outlet I wanted proved to be more of a chore than I wanted with the sliding door obstacle and since this is only for occasional use, I decided on this approach
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=ctusdenny;
Does anyone have a good method of running the wires all the way back to the front from the rear bedroom?
Thanks.
Denny[/QUOTE]

Denny, I haven't done exactly what you are trying to do but I have found my way to run wiring to the bedroom closet under the TV cabinet for other needs. My factory wiring does work the rear TV off the inverter as it should.

1) I ran wiring via the basement to the rear area on the driver side.
2) I was able to fish a snake from behind the hall electrical panel at floor level thru the floor at the shower drain hole by removing some of the foam sealant used by the factory. The snake followed along the top surface of the grey water tank. You could also use the furnace heater hose hole in that same area to get to the basement or, drill a new hole.
3) From the the bedroom closet drawers closest to the bath room wall (pocket door wall), I removed bottom drawers to expose space that leads under bathroom vanity and stall shower floor along oute side wall to the corner of the shower wall common to the dinette.
4) Some patient fishing at that corner from the hallway and under the electrical panel got me a line to the closet.

Alternative path I have used also involves passing line at the top of the driver side rear wheel well. Then come straight up into space below lowest cabinet drawer. Used hard conduit and slow curing Urethane sealant.

HTH

Marty
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Good tips, guys. I'll give it a good look this weekend and see if I can find a good route for the wire.