RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #1
mrk

Rebuilding Generator--is it worth it?

I'm at the Cummins-Onan shop, with my 1999 Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel generator. It seems that, when I started it this spring, there was a lot of clunking inside, so I shut it down. It wouldn't crank over after that. It gave a 33 code, Service Required.

I just got an estimate of $3,600 to replace a damaged Stator assembly, rotor assembly. and fan. It would cost an additional $1,750 to include a new inverter in the package, but I'll gamble that the old one will still work. By the way, there are only 987 hours on the genset.

I've used the generator a total of 3 hours this past year, so I toyed with not spending the money to repair it. DW said don't fix it, but after joining the Cummins club, we've gotten the price down to around $3,000, so I decided to go ahead with the fix. For what it's worth, about $300 of cost is for removal and reinstallation of he generator.

It's painfully obvious that neither I nor any prior owner, has run the generator monthly, as recommended by the manufacturer. I figure, for the cost of these repairs, I could have exercised the genset for 2 hours a month for more than 13 years. Another expensive lesson learned.

But the question was, is it really worth repairing a generator on a 19-year old motorhome. DW contends that most folks will simply plug in somewhere and won't use the generator, just like us. For my part, I prefer that, if I have a generator, I want it to be operational, even if I seldom use it. I must admit, however, that, had the cost to rebuild been a little higher, I wasn't going to spend the money.

The moral of the story: EXERCISE YOUR GENERATORS.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
My 1996 Bounder has a 5000 Onan and under 200 hrs since new apparently. Since I bought it I have been doing the 2 hours of running , monthly, in the summer when we are using it. In the winter we are 3300 kms away so it sits in cold storage.
I bought this MH as it had a generator and I would fix it if it quits. The convenience of power anywhere while seldom used is what I wanted.
Used a Honda 2000 in the previous 5er and appreciated power when needed.
Also can run the house A/C when driving to keep us cool.
All the best
Terry
96Bounder1st is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator