Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #1

Refrigerator not running???

My refrigerator is never turned off EXCEPT for today when I turned it off to move the RV out to wash it. I don’t know why I turned it off other than I thought no use in wasting propane while I’m washing the rig. I noticed in the refrigerator outside compartment a red light while washing. Thought it strange that I had never noticed that before…Backed the RV back in, plugged into the 30 amp service, tapped the on off button and nothing happened. The refrigerator is not running. Does anyone have any clue or suggestion as to why and what I need to do? I did check the no fault by the vanity and did not see any tripped breakers. Needless to say I am leaving Wednesday for 10 days . Is the light in the photo an indication of the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(3).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	123816  
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

For future reference: I got the answer from the Yahoo National group. My refrigerator is a side by side Norcold. The red light indicates I tripped the safety switch on the system. To reset you hold a magnet next to the right side of the box with the red light for a few second. Unbelievable!!! Light goes off, turned on the refrigerator and everything is working.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
For future reference: I got the answer from the Yahoo National group. My refrigerator is a side by side Norcold. The red light indicates I tripped the safety switch on the system. To reset you hold a magnet next to the right side of the box with the red light for a few second. Unbelievable!!! Light goes off, turned on the refrigerator and everything is working.

Good information to have, but my question is why did the safety switch trip in the first place?

You don't want to be this guy:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/my-bu...ml#post3018351
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Good information to have, but my question is why did the safety switch trip in the first place?

You don't want to be this guy:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/my-bu...ml#post3018351
According to the answers on the Yahoo National group it is a known occurrence. I asked the same question as you and several people have had this happen. I think my turning it off when the propane was taking over may have tripped the safety device. Believe me I will be very cautious and attentive to this refrigerator that has never given me a minutes worry in the past.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post

I turned it off to move the RV out to wash it.
There has been lots of discussion about water and that high temperature safety shutoff.

DO NOT get it wet.

The water line to my icemaker developed a pinhole leak that destroyed the circuit board.

Be very careful when washing that you don't spray water through the louvers on the refrigerator access panels.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-11-2016, 06:50 PM   #6

If you had disconnected from shore power , and the fridge had switched to propane before you shut it off, there is a possibility that water spray got through the vents and got on the burner shielding and the steam tripped the high temp sensor.
Just to be on the safe side , I'd say run the fridge on propane for a few hours, while you monitor the operation closely, to see if the safety sensor shuts off again. If it trips again you have a REAL problem.
AND, check the operation of the vent fans on the back of the fridge, the noise from the fans should be noticeable after 10>15 mins of operation.

A word of real caution , in Feb. I helped replace a 1200 series Norcold in a 5er with a Samsung. The Norcold recall box had NOT shut the fridge down and the owner turned the unit off when he could smell the electric element burning off the insulation. Had he been away the RV would have been gone.
The tubing on the rear of the fridge was hot enough to blister all the paint off 2/3 of the way around the cooling coils. The fans were operational.
Poor build practices had blocked the upper vent opening; fridge was in a slide; and an aluminum heat deflector in the top of the slide , had fallen out of place to close the upper vent off . The deflector was friction fit in the cavity and seven staples installed to secure it had ALL missed hitting anything solid to hold it in place. Manufacturer is out of business , so no going back on them.
Due to a lack of understanding of the operation of my new digital camera none of my pictures turned out.
I don't blame Norcold for this near fire , but I do question the effectiveness of the recall box to shut things down when it should.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post

Be very careful when washing that you don't spray water through the louvers on the refrigerator access panels.

Take care,
Stu
Thank you Stu, I didn’t see any evidence that the area got wet but I will be extremely careful in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you had disconnected from shore power , and the fridge had switched to propane before you shut it off, there is a possibility that water spray got through the vents and got on the burner shielding and the steam tripped the high temp sensor.
Just to be on the safe side , I'd say run the fridge on propane for a few hours, while you monitor the operation closely, to see if the safety sensor shuts off again. If it trips again you have a REAL problem.
AND, check the operation of the vent fans on the back of the fridge, the noise from the fans should be noticeable after 10>15 mins of operation.

A word of real caution , in Feb. I helped replace a 1200 series Norcold in a 5er with a Samsung. The Norcold recall box had NOT shut the fridge down and the owner turned the unit off when he could smell the electric element burning off the insulation. Had he been away the RV would have been gone.
The tubing on the rear of the fridge was hot enough to blister all the paint off 2/3 of the way around the cooling coils. The fans were operational.
Poor build practices had blocked the upper vent opening; fridge was in a slide; and an aluminum heat deflector in the top of the slide , had fallen out of place to close the upper vent off . The deflector was friction fit in the cavity and seven staples installed to secure it had ALL missed hitting anything solid to hold it in place. Manufacturer is out of business , so no going back on them.
Due to a lack of understanding of the operation of my new digital camera none of my pictures turned out.
I don't blame Norcold for this near fire , but I do question the effectiveness of the recall box to shut things down when it should.
Thank you for giving such an in-depth reply, Skip426. Your example could have happened. Once the refrigerator came on auto it went on electric and it did not occur to me to use the propane. I have been monitoring for the last 3 hours and nothing is amiss that I can tell. The refrigerator is operating normally, no heat in the outside vent area, no burning smell but you can be sure I will pay close attention to anything out of the ordinary.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Sandi, not sure how valid this is, however someone stated they were told the unit should be facing down to prevent water intrusion.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Sandi, not sure how valid this is, however someone stated they were told the unit should be facing down to prevent water intrusion.

Fred
thanks Fred, I did notice that the unit was loose and I have cleaned the area and never noticed it before. That would make sense the wire attachments are now pointing toward the louver opening. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Tags
refrigerator