RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Refurbish or replace our National TropiCal

Hi all,

We have reached a point where we need to decide whether to refurbish our '05 National TropiCal or replace it with something newer. While some of the new features available in RVs manufactured in recent years are appealing, we really like our floor plan and this unit has served us well over the years.

At this point, we are leaning toward putting keeping it - perhaps doing some updates on the interior, refreshing the exterior graphics and doing necessary maintenance on some things that are wearing out.

Before making a final decision, we'd love to hear some input from people who have undoubtedly been through this decision process. What else should we consider when making our decision? Your input and suggestions are welcome.

Cneymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the same debate all the time. We also love the floor plan of our 05 TropiCal and the slide outs are much wider than newer coaches giving lots of room. We are slowly upgrading ours. Although some of the features on new coaches are really nice, we figure we can make ours pretty close. Plus we are happy with the build quality of the National RV and don’t really want to give that up. Good luck in your decision-making.

Old 08-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Thanks for your response. Would you be willing to share more information on the upgrades you've made to your TropiCal and how you're liking your choices?
Cneymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:24 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
We have an 01 Tradewinds and have looked at other MH's over the past 10 years and have not found one we would trade her in for. We love the two huge closets, hers all across the back with shelves on one end and drop down on the other. She also has her make up area in the bedroom with a flip up corian counter top that has a mirror and inside are slots for her stuff. Then on each side of the window are 3 lights to help her do her thing. My closet is in the hallway across from the shower and sink, two sliding mirrored doors and 4 drawers under them. Love the CAT engine, which you can't get in newer MH's. How many MH's do you see with walk around queen beds and 2 drawer nite stands on each side.

We are changing out the Dometic fridge to a residential fridge, cheaper then doing the cooling unit again and worrying about the possibility of leaks from it.

BTW, after looking at many RV lots I have seen few National MH's on them both gas and diesel sitting on the sales lots. This tells you that once someone gets one they don't let go.
We did change out the carpet in the bedroom and I installed wood flooring up front.
Right now we are looking to redo our driver and passenger chairs and change the couch pull out bed to a jack knife sofa. No hurry, still looking for a good upholster.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #5

We have been updating our 2000 Dutchstar the last year. We changed out the day/night shades that were falling apart and opted for curtains. We are installing a sofa that came out of a 2015 Ventana next month. Installed a new microwave and at some point will replace the flooring. The sofa is going to make a drastic change to the interior and it's appearance.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:27 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We had our old decals removed and replaced this past Oct. It was done in Apache Junction AZ by RV Graphics. Great job and we stayed in the MH plugged into electric for the 5 days that they did it. Even had room and nice area to walk the dogs. Plenty of places to shop close by. Check them out.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:38 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love our floor plan and the storage space inside and out. Can't find anything in the new department like it. Have replaced the graphics,and carpet. Going the find upholster to do couch and front seats. Have 140k on cat and going strong. Love our Tradewinds 01
skyexplorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
We don't have a Tropi Cal we have the 2004 Dolphin 5342 which is the gas version, to some degree, of the Tropi Cal. We have attended many RV shows and looked at MHs costing $500k and up and wouldn't trade our Dolphin for any of them. The interior styling, quality, storage and layout of National products is so much better than the new MHs. National products were just superior to most other MHs. The only upgrade we would make would be to a Tropi Cal. if we wanted to go to a diesel.
Try sitting in a new MH and try to determine where everything would be stored. I found there just isn't enough storage space inside for everyday kitchen stuff and clothes.
Just having to use DEF is enough to keep me from trading to anything new.

You can do a lot of upgrades for what it would cost you in down payment and monthly payments if that is the way you would be doing it.
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The new are not built like the old ones! Just returned from Alaska, 9,365 Miles and many more trips planed in our 2003!
Old 08-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyexplorer View Post
Love our floor plan and the storage space inside and out. Can't find anything in the new department like it. Have replaced the graphics,and carpet. Going the find upholster to do couch and front seats. Have 140k on cat and going strong. Love our Tradewinds 01
If you find a good one let me know where it is.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #11

We love our 2004 Dolphin 6320 and wouldn't trade it for anything. You don't say how many miles are on yours, but unless the engine and transmission are worn out, I'd update what you've got. You can buy a lot of updates for the old rig for the equivalent of just a few payments on a new one, and you know what you have. Unless you buy new, anything else you could get would be an unknown.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
WE purchased this coach in 2007. We were already full timers. In addition to being very satisfied with the floor plan for our lifestyle, we only have 41000 miles on it due primarily to health issues. I cannot see any practical justification to spend more money for a few electronic gizmos!
I have done a bunch of upgrading and there is very little inside the box that hasn't been replaced, reconfigured or updated. I have posted lots of pictures that should show up in a search if you are interested. My next project will be to install a pair of MCD front windshield blinds to get rid of the curtain. I think I will probably keep this coach until I get carried out horizontally!!
MikeandRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:16 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=Cneymeyer;4926238]Hi all

At this point, we are leaning toward putting keeping it - perhaps doing some updates on the interior, refreshing the exterior graphics and doing necessary maintenance on some things that are wearing out

FYI, I just got a quote to redo my graphics on my 04 Tropical. $4,300. But another forum poster paid $3,000. My Tropical is a Heritage Edition where the exterior has a bit more complex design.
Mogulite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
We have a SeaBreezeLX Gasser, and have considered the same. However, to get a MH that we like we would have to spend about $175k for a new one (another Gasser). For about $30k we can get new floors, couch, dining tables, and a new paint job. Since the Ford V10 is easily a 150k or more engine, and we only have 91k miles on it, it just makes more sense to do upgrades instead of buying new. I would suggest the difference is about the same for a DP (on a percent basis). We love the coach and the floorplan, so that's our plan.

Al

FLRosebud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, national, refurbish, replace