Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you were lucky, I have tried the razor blade on mine and some would come off . If I was not careful I could scratch the gel coat. I wonder if a little heat would help.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:48 AM   #30

Removing decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
I think you were lucky, I have tried the razor blade on mine and some would come off . If I was not careful I could scratch the gel coat. I wonder if a little heat would help.
Doing it the way I do, you have to have heat, the hot June-July sun beating down is the only heat that I have needed. Your right, you have to be careful with the razor, has to be held at the right angle and flat.
Retiredblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sold me I will try it this summer on a hot day, if my DW will let me out of some home projects.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Well it took a while but the graphics are 90% removed. I am having someone else come out tommorow and buff it out. I still need to remove the strip along the top, but it will have to wait until we are at the point of putting on new graphics. Pics below also show new doors, still have one more to go on the passenger side. It should be ready this week.

There is a before picture also. You can kind of tell the old graphics were cracked. Also that black stripe the ran around above the doors, well we finally figured out what was going on with it. We had never seen another NRV with that stripe, when we started taking it off there were cracks under it on every door. So we think someone put that stuff on to cover them so no one would see them. The only reason we every started doing this remodel is we were in a hail storm last year and about every 5 inches where the hail hit there was a hole in the black stripping so we decided to remove it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graphics removed 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	21334   Click image for larger version

Name:	graphics removed 2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	21335  

Click image for larger version

Name:	graphics removed 4.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	21336   Click image for larger version

Name:	142.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	21337  

Old 05-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking good, Now I have to hold off for a few mouths for some home projects.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update kerrbe. Here's an update on the power washer idea someone talked about earlier.

When we got home I hooked my 2500 psi PW up to hot water and went after the "Dolphin" on the front engine hatch. After 30min and running out of hot water, I got most of the "Dol" off. Some parts wouldn't come off and of course all adhesive remained. I would have to say this myth is busted.

My '99 spent it's entire life in Fl baking. Perhaps with a higher pressure washer on a newer rig may work better, just isn't going to work on mine.

Re-doing our interior right now. When that's finished and it warms up a bit here, I'll start on the exterior.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #35

We are planning to have our Tradewinds painted this next winter in the lower Rio Grande Valley (Texas) Next winter. Our friend had his Islander painted last year and turned out beautiful. Talking to the painter. He warned me not to use Vinyl – Off or any product like that for it will cause Fisheye when he paints it. Has anyone had a problem like this?
Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #36

Where did you find the Vinyl Off?
mbkufahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkufahl
Where did you find the Vinyl Off?
Here's their website. A lot of hype about the product and I have my doubts how effective it is on 13 yo baked on graphics, but sure sounds good. Anyway, click on Distributors to find one near you. Or you can buy it right there online.

http://crystaltek.us.com/crystaltek-vinyl-off.htm
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Vinyl off help take mine off and my MH is 14 years old. I still used the heat gun and razor blade, but it took all the adhesive off. I had tried lots of different products and it was the only one that worked. I could have just used the vinly off but I was trying to save money.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #39

Vinyl stripping and graphics

Well, I am done! I finished restripping my Islander. all except the very top 1" strip up near the roof rain gutter, that one is not bad but I will replace it.
I used a gallon of Acetone, putting it in a windex spray bottle and I use a lot of single edged razor blades. The graphics on the rear, I took off a few years ago, I hated it, it looked like a drunken sailor took a paint brush and made back and forth passes with it during a storm at sea, what was the designer thinking when they put it on? I replaced it with a design of my own. The water is three shades of blue with two green water plants growing in it with a pink flamingo standing on one leg with the sun setting and reflections from the sun on the water. Turned out very well, will have to post pics
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Yes please post pictures, where did you get the grahics from?
Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #41

Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrbe View Post
Yes please post pictures, where did you get the grahics from?
I tried and tried, I can't seem to do it, perhaps you can help, I keep getting a error says it is to big 2.24 needs to be under 2.0
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #42

decals

Hope this works! I ordered three rolls of 15" X 10 yds of vinyl from on line, then after doing the sides I need additional colors but had to order from another company's website because I couldn't order less than 15" x 10 Yds. So I order 5 colors and I wish I had used the second company's product because I believe their vinyl was superior to the first company's vinyl.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp rear-close-smaller1.bmp (1.90 MB, 70 views)